News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Australian sniffer dog given Purple Cross bravery award

A sniffer dog found after 13 months missing in Afghanistan has been given Australia's highest animal bravery award, the Purple Cross. Sarbi, a black labrador retriever, went missing after a Taliban ambush on her unit in Uruzgan province left nine wounded including her handler. The RSPCA's national president Lynne Bradshaw praised her "incredible resilience and strength".She is only the second animal to receive this honour. The only previous recipient of the award was a donkey called Murphy, who carried wounded from the battlefield in Gallipoli during World War I.

Read the complete article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12970876

Jean-Paul

Of course... an interesting read.... but if that digger dogger had been a soldier 100 years ago... he would have been shot for desertion ;-)

Don't think members of the AIF were shot for desertion in the Great War even though many were probably English born or 1st generation Australians.

About sniffer dogs though, one of them kept my birthday present from January until last Wednesday. It left a note inside saying opened by customs K9. The clever little bugger put everything back, taped it up and eventually when he got bored with it, sent it on.

Tony

Oh - yes Tony ! and what exactly was in that parcel that got him so excited ? I've seen the series of programmes on Aust.Customs - I think they must be some of the toughest in the World.

Commercially packaged mixed spices (pommes frites würzer) from Germany Mervyn, for putting on chips, all totally legal and even entered on the customs form. I can't find anything similar here.

Those dogs are very good so there's no point hiding anything from them. My son had a container that had had a banana in it 2 days previously and had been washed out but the dog could still smell it.

Tony

That series showed the training for the dogs - mostly Beagles. I thought they were brilliant - but then when you've seen Police dogs in action you realise just how intelligent dogs are. Those spices sound good - I wonder if they sell them in S.A. - we have a lot of German people living here - I shall enquire , diligently......... Mervyn

That series showed the training for the dogs - mostly Beagles. I thought they were brilliant - but then when you've seen Police dogs in action you realise just how intelligent dogs are. Those spices sound good - I wonder if they sell them in S.A. - we have a lot of German people living here - I shall enquire , diligently......... Mervyn

This is what you need to keep your eyes peeled for https://www.ostmann.de/shop/pommes-frites-wuerzer.html

Tony