News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

North West Canada Medal 1885

Guest Darrell

6. Paylist taken off Microfilm for October 1885. It is shown at the top of the List as "Guard of Honor" and "on the occasion of the 2nd Visit of the Governor General".

These pictures were taken from the microfilm as well.

a. Cover listed October 21, 1885:

Guest Darrell

And to end this set of documentation and to tie in nicely with the Governor General's visit, here is a small bit of detail on the Governor General himself at that time - The Marquess of Lansdowne who ruled from 1883-1888.

Congratulations Darrell - a superb post, with your usual great attention to research and detail. I found the account of the skirmishes most interesting - particularly as they are in a similar pattern to the problems of the 1870's when the Mounted Police were first formed. Like South Africa these early localised disputes become overlooked and I found your account concerns something of which I knew very little. Mervyn

Guest Darrell

Thanks Mervyn. Apparently the ones that received a medal received a Land Bounty which was a beautiful certificate. My research contact will see if one exists for this fellow, as well as a copy of the original rolls which the printed copy from Spink was created that I posted above).

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Finally the last of the research that made it's way to me today.

All those that served in the NW Canada Campaign and being eligible for the Medal and Clasp, received a "Land Bounty" of 320 Acres. The Documents are quite interesting and very well done.

First up a picture of the Entry in the Dominion of Canada Log. This document states near the top:

DOMINION OF CANADA - List of Members of the Militia Force Lately on ACTIVE SERVICE in the NORTHWEST, in 1885, claiming to be entitled to "GRANTS OF LAND" under the provisions of 48-49 Victoria, Chapter 73.

Guest Darrell

Lastly the "Bounty Land" Certificate issued to Kellett. These are quite pleasing to the eye.

• 3 months later...

Darrell,

An excellent post, thanks. I just completed Pierre Berton's "The Last Spike", the history of the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway and the resultant problems for the locals and the displaced. A fascinating history and you just added some great color.

• 11 years later...

HI Darrell,

Great investigative work with excellent info. To that end, are you able to point me in the direction where I could get a copy of the NWC Medal Roll please. I am specifically interested in the 16 British Officers. I have just acquired a miniature medal group here in the 

UK and it contains the NWC medal (no clasp) and additional medals which identifies the recipient as being a member of the Royal Navy. Therefore I have right/wrongly presumed that they are one of the 16 British Team rather than a member of the local militia. Any help would be  greatly appreciated, many thanks

• 4 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    On 29/01/2023 at 06:43, peter monahan said:

Nice link, Michael.  Thank you.

Who's the young chap in the photo? ;)

"Where have all the young men gone?

Long time passing;

Where have all the young men gone?

Long time ago;"

Years ago I bought a Kingston Trio CD at a neighbours' garage sale.  I cried when I heard that one.

Michael