News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Award document with faded type... need help!

Wondered if any of our members might be able to help me out with this. I've acquired a WW1 EK with it's original award document. It's a great set, framed, etc. It has both handwriting and type written material on it. Problem is the type written material is extremely faded.

I've scanned it (900 dpi) and fiddled with the image but wondering if perhaps one of our members might have more experience with doing this than I and might be willing/able to help me out? I can send over what I've got and what I've done so far. Send me a PM so we can exchange emails and I'll then send over what I have.

I'd really love to bring this document back to life and especially learn the history of who this EK was awarded to, etc.

Keeping my fingers crossed that someone out there can help me out with this.

Many thanks! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Dan - try one of those ultra violet lights - or, perhaps an infra-red ? A good camera shop should be able to help.

Actually Nick tried a black light on it when he had it and he said it was no help. Far as a camera shop, good or otherwise, that may be a bit of a chore as we don't have anything like that here in little Carrington. There might be one in one of the bigger cities but till we can make a trip over (4 hour round trip plus a small fortune in gas these days) for other things I'll just have to stay in a holding pattern. I "think" there is at least one copy shop over in Jamestown and there may be one in Devils Lake, both of which we get to much more often than any of the bigger cities. If so, on our next trip over I'll try to take it along and see if perhaps they can do a better scan on their professional equipment to see if we can come up with a clearer version of the doc.

Will keep ya'll posted. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

• 3 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Kind of missed this thread!!!

Dan, have you thought of scanningf the document and then enhancing it digitally. By scanning it in a high resolution, you may then be enable to darken the type written text through the use of the software..... Just an idea!

Of course you may have to open the frame so as to scan the document on a flat scanner for the highest detail possible.

Regards,

Jim :cheers: