News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 EK 2 with original award document

Just acquired this set and would like to like to learn more re: the document. Problem is the typewritten part is extremely faded. I've posted a request for help in the preservation/restoration section but hoping someone might be able to read the handwritten part, signature and seal. Any help would be deeply appreciated! Would really love to bring this set back to life and discover who the EK was awarded to, his unit, etc.

I've darkened these up a bit which I hope helps to make them out better.

Hi Dan,

10. August

den Unteroffz. d. L. II. Wöhmann

Res. Inf. Regt. 91____11. Kompagnie

Ers.Btl. R.I.R. 91

in Coblenz, 2. Komp.

[für] den Unteroffizier der Landwehr II. Aufgebot Wöhmann

Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 91[,] 11. Kompagnie

Ersatzbataillon Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 91

in Coblenz, 2. Kompagnie

Uwe

Edited by speedytop

Hi Dan,

10. August

den Unteroffz. d. L. II. Wöhmann

Res. Inf. Regt. 91____11. Kompagnie

Ers.Btl. R.I.R. 91

in Coblenz, 2. Komp.

[für] den Unteroffizier der Landwehr II. Aufgebot Wöhmann

Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 91[,] 11. Kompagnie

Ersatzbataillon Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 91

in Coblenz, 2. Kompagnie

Uwe

Uwe, many thanks! Great info! Any idea on the officer's signature? Also any idea if it's possible to find out more about this Unteroffizier?

Dan cheers.gif

An update on this one. Uwe very kindly helped out with this one and after some hard work on his part here's what he came up with:

Res.Inf.Regt. 91

gereicht es mir zu meiner ganz besonderen Freude, Ihnen

das von seiner Majestät dem Kaiser und König verliehene Eiserne Kreuz

übersenden zu können.

Es ist mir ... einen der ...

Vaterlande geleistete und mit dem Regt ....

v.Heynitz

Oberstleutnant ...

It is not the award document, it is the covering letter "Übersendungsschreiben", where the award document and the Iron cross should be included.

Uwe, I deeply appreciate all your hard work and effort on this one and you're being kind enough to help me out with it. Sorry it didn't turn out to actually be the award document as that's what both myself and the previous owner thought it was. Still makes a beautiful framed set and I still love it every bit as much as when I thought it was the award document.

Guessing it's time to be on the lookout for a good reference or two on documents. Sigh... the library just keeps getting bigger. cheeky.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Dan,

You have a very nice grouping. The signature is that of Hans von Heynitz, commander of RIR 91 from 21.09.1914 until 20.08.1916. You'll be happy to hear that he was awarded the PLM on 03.12.1917. He was wounded on 30.11.1917 as commander of IR 92 (he was also serving simultaneously as the "Führer of 40. Inf. Brig.). He died of his wounds 09.12.1917.

Andy

Dan,

You have a very nice grouping. The signature is that of Hans von Heynitz, commander of RIR 91 from 21.09.1914 until 20.08.1916. You'll be happy to hear that he was awarded the PLM on 03.12.1917. He was wounded on 30.11.1917 as commander of IR 92 (he was also serving simultaneously as the "Führer of 40. Inf. Brig.). He died of his wounds 09.12.1917.

Andy

Andy, many thanks for this great additional info! jumping.gifjumping.gifI'm guessing there are no pictures of him? I took a quick look on Google and so far no luck. But definitely a bonus to have the signature of a holder of the PLM. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Andy, many thanks for this great additional info! jumping.gifjumping.gifI'm guessing there are no pictures of him? I took a quick look on Google and so far no luck. But definitely a bonus to have the signature of a holder of the PLM. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Dan,

The Biblio Series on the PLM winners does not, unfortunately, include a photo of von Heynitz, nor do I have a photo of him.

Andy