News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

They specifically guarded naval bases by providing perimeter security for bases, arms and munitions depot/lockers, various buildings and facilities, etc., and served on board ships as naval infantry. They were stationed almost anywhere there was an Imperial naval presence.

They were different from the naval Matrossen Regiments which were also naval units, but used more or less as standard infantry units primarily in Flanders.

Uniforms? More or less typical naval issue uniforms, and equipment.

Les, Claudius,

I have to disagree with the rôle Les attributes to the Werftdivisionen. There were two Werftdivisionen, the I. in Kiel and the II. in Wilhelmshaven. There were the depôt organisation for the non commissioned personnel (Warrant Officers, NCOs and Ratings) primarily of the technical branches of the Navy including, machinists, stokers, tradesmen, medical personnel, writers and paymaster aspirants. They provided the initial recruit training for conscripts and volunteers. They further were the land based organisation for administrative purposes for the above mentioned personnel. Each Division was commanded by a Kapitän zur See. In a similar fashion, the I. and II. Matrosendivisionen were responsible for the seaman branch, navigators, signals branch etc.

Regards

Glenn

Although in German, this excerpt from a 1913 book used at the Prussian "Kriegschulen" clearly supports Glenn's explanation:

„Die Matrosen- und Werftdivisionen sind Mannschaftsdepots. Den Matrosendivisionen wird zur Besetzung der Schiffe das seemännische Personal, den Werftdivisionen das Maschinen-, Handwerker- und Verwaltungspersonal entnommen. Einen ähnlichen Zweck haben die Torpedodivisionen, die die Besatzungen der Torpedoboote und das Torpedopersonal der Schiffe stellen. Desgl. die Minenabteilung, Unterseebootsabteilung, Luftschiffabteilung und Fliegerabteilung.

Source: Leitfaden für den Unterricht über Heerwesen auf den Königlichen Kriegschulen.

Andy

Edited by arb

• 3 weeks later...

Uniforms? More or less typical naval issue uniforms, and equipment.

I think key difference here is that the Matrosen Divisions wore yellow metallic insignia, buttons, cap tally scripts, arm chevrons and badges etc. Whereas the Werft Divisions wore similar white metallic insingia.

For example, a Werft Division cap-

W1.JPG

..and Matrosen Artillery cap-

Mutze%20Artillerie%20NCO.jpg

A highly recommended book on this topic and covering the organsiation of the Matrosen and Werft Divisions is"Die Mützenbänder der Deutschen Marine 1815 - 1918" by Bernd Wedeking and Marcus Bodeux.

Cheers

Chris

• 4 weeks later...