News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Monty's orders & medals

Christophe

In this thread, I will post pics of Marshal Montgomery's awards, as displayed in the fabulous permanent exhibition of the Imperial War Museum of London : "Monty".

When you are in London, please pay a visit to it!!! It is outstanding!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Sorry for the quality of some pics; as the awards are displayed in glass cabinets, taking photographs of them is not always easy.

Enjoy!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

• Replies 90
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice image, thanks. As I recall, from trying to peep under and at the edge and getting strange looks from the guard, many of his campaign medals were unnamed specimens, suggesting these may not be his #1 set. I assume the items of greatest interest to Dave are those two small things sitting below his naked Garter sash?

These are mostly his 'tailor' medals.

I know the Montgomery relatives so to speak, I may be able to get actual pictures of his genuine medals if you're interested ? I promise I will see what I can get picture wise for you all.

I'm very busy at the moment with a book and my occupation, but please feel free to e mail or pm me with any questions I may be able to get answered in regards to his medals.

Kr

Marcus

Edited by Marcus H

I assume the items of greatest interest to Dave are those two small things sitting below his naked Garter sash?

Yeah, the ones that are worth 10x everything else in the case combined? :D

Are those copies? Or are those his real ones? If the family still has those... WOW.

Dave

Nice image, thanks. As I recall, from trying to peep under and at the edge and getting strange looks from the guard, many of his campaign medals were unnamed specimens, suggesting these may not be his #1 set. I assume the items of greatest interest to Dave are those two small things sitting below his naked Garter sash?

Ed,

Don't worry, I will come back to these in due time... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

These are mostly his 'tailor' medals.

I know the Montgomery relatives so to speak, I may be able to get actual pictures of his genuine medals if you're interested ? I promise I will see what I can get picture wise for you all. (...)

Marcus

Marcus,

Some of Monty's orders and medals have been stolen in 1967. You will find attached what the Imperial War Museum says about it.

That's why some of the medals exhibited are replacement ones, and notably the WW1 ones. But it remains that most orders are - according to the IWM - original.

But, if you have pics of the "genuine" ones, I would be very interested in seeing them, and dscuss the point again with the IWM.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Yeah, the ones that are worth 10x everything else in the case combined? :D

Are those copies? Or are those his real ones? If the family still has those... WOW.

Dave

Dave,

The IWM claims they are the real ones, what I think, having seen them...

Cheers.

Ch.

I n ever realized that the English also had batons. Nor that they were so similar in design to the nazi ones. Is the baton a military tradition of many nations?

Best, Sal

Hi Sal,

The baton is indeed a tradition of many nations, and you find it for France, Great-Britain, Germany, Italy, Russia... and not only in Europe.

In France, Fran?ois I (1515-1547) created the Marshal's baton ("B?ton de Mar?chal").

Cheers.

Ch

Monty's orders and medals

(Numbers indicated are as displayed in the IWM).

10. Broad riband of Order of the Garter. Monty's Garter insignia were returned to HM The Queen on his death.

11. Breast star, badge and broad riband of Knight Grand Cross of Order of the Bath (Military Division).

12. Breast star, badge and broad riband of Grand Cross of the Order of Saint Olav (Military Division) - Norway

13. Breast star, badge and broad riband of Grand Cross of th Ordr of the White Lion (Civil Division) - Czechoslovakia

14. Breast star of the Order of the White Lion (Military Division) - Czechoslovakia.

15. Breast star and broad riband of the Order of the Elephant - Denmark.

16. Breast star of Chief Commander of the Legion of Merit - USA

17. Breast star of Chevalier of the Orde of Ouissam Alaouit Cherifien - Morocco

18. Breast star, badge and broad riband of Grand Cordon of the Order of Nichan Iftikhar - Tunisia

19. Breast star of the Order of Victory - USSR

20. Breast star of the Order of Suvorov - 1st Class - USSR

21. Breast star, badge and broad riband of Grand Cross of the Royal Order of George I (Military Division) - Greece.

22. Breast star, badge and broad riband of Grand Officier of the Legion d'Honneur - France

23. M?daille Militaire - France

24. Breast star, badge and broad riband of Grand Cross of the Order of Leopold (Military division) - Belgium

25. Badge of Grand Cross of the Order of Leopold with brilliants (Military Division) - Belgium

26. Breast star, badge and broad riband of Grand Cross of the Civil Order of Merit of the Netherlands Lion - Netherlands

27. Breast star, badge and broad riband of Grand Cross of the Order of the Oaken Crown - Luxembourg

28. Breast star, badge and broad riband of Grand Cordon of the Order of the Seal of Salomon - Ethiopia

Ch.

Breast star, badge and broad riband of Grand Cross of the Order of the White Lion (Civil Division) - Czechoslovakia.

&

Breast star of the Order of the White Lion (Military Division) - Czechoslovakia.

Ch.