News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rafidain Medal Group

oamotme

Gentlemen,

I attach the image of a nice Rafidain group, plus miniatures which I have recently purchased, awarded to Dr. Dixon Firth, sometime Medical Officer with the Royal Iraqi Household after the the Second World War:

• UK Defence Medal 1939-45
    • UK War Medal 1939-45
    • Iraq Order of the Rafidain 5th Class Civil ( with blutack affixing ribbon crown to suspension!)
    • Iraq Active Service Medal
    • Iraq Faisal Coronation Medal

The table medal is one of a series issued during the early years of King Faisal II reign commemorating various civil works.

Regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

That is amazing; I have never seen a Royal Mint Coronation medal of King Faisel II in the mini size! Sucks having the money to buy but never can find the dealers with such nice pieces to purchase.

That mini would go great with me set display :banger:

Lorenzo

How many of the Royal Mints do you have out of the 5000 I seen 2 of your medal bars and they both had them on there!! Very nice collection you have!!

Lorenzo

Owain

When you have some time my brother could it be possible you could post some images of the reverse side.

-I would love to see a close up of the Royal mint Mini medal...

Thank you

Lorenzo

Will,

Yes, lots of potential for research and I hope to get a pciture of Dr. Dixon Firth in due course - possibly some supporting documentation as well, but not guaranteed.

Lorenzo,

You are correct - a UK issue miniature Faisal Coronation. In the past I have seen one similar full size group to the British Butler at the Iraqi Embassy - I think it consisted of Royal Victorian Medal or British Empire Medal, a couple of WW2 medals, the Rafidain Medal and Faisal Coronation Medal - I was broke at the time and thus couldn't afford to bid!. I now have 3 full size UK manufactured coronation medasl - out of 5,000 = 0.06%!

I am sorry I cannot post any further images as the medals are in UK and I am in Riyadh - I will actually get to hold them when I next visit UK in August / September.

Regards,

Owain

Owain

Thank you for the fast reply it is a very lovely set, I hope I can find deals like you do. Prices in Iraq are 2-3x more then prices being offered around the rest of the world. This set would have been offered in Iraq for close to $3,000.00; I would have been happy to pay $1,400.00 for it.

Thank you very much for posting Very Beautiful!!:love:

Lorenzo

Here is a very nice Mini medal bar I purchased last year the dealer’s price started at $900.00 out of Baghdad, Iraq. I was able to talk the dealer down for a better price after I explained how the other mini medals are more common. The first miniature medal one the other hand is very rare and hard to find. What’s nice about this one is that it has the original ribbon for it. I am just happy it is in my collection, I wish it was named like your set you displayed for a Dr. Dixon of the Royal Family.

Thank you for viewing

Lorenzo

Without sounding negative, maybe we should keep the focus on Owen's amazing group?

I also do not like to discuss prices on the forum as they then seem to set the standard for "informal" auctions and we are then played off against each other.

I am very interested in the background of the recipient, Owain please keep us posted.

Without sounding negative, maybe we should keep the focus on Owen's amazing group?

I also do not like to discuss prices on the forum as they then seem to set the standard for "informal" auctions and we are then played off against each other.

I am very interested in the background of the recipient, Owain please keep us posted.

Will

Thank you for bringing us back on the topic it is good to see you agian back to posting; you yourself have an AMAZING collection.

thank you

Lorenzo

Gentlemen,

In addition to the medals there were a number of accompanying lots:

A gold telescopic action propelling pencil, with a square section body, with ruler markings from 0-6 inch, tested as approximately 14ct gold

Est : £120.00 - £180.0000 – Bid £225 – Hammer - £280

A cased rolled gold Elgin open faced pocket watch, with a cream dial, gilt Arabic numerals and hands with subsidiary seconds dial. Case marked 'Keystone No. 51748, Movement No. 36762605'. Hand engraved to the back case with a crown, facsimile signature and date. Suspended on a gold fancy bar link watch chain with a bolt ring clasp, replacement rolled gold swivel clasp broken, chain tested as approximately 14ct gold.

This watch was presented to the vendor in London 1959 by Col. Salman Dargazelli 'on behalf of the Free Iraqi Officers'. It had been presented to him in 1941 by the Regent of Iraq in recognition of his loyalty in the Rashid Ali revolt. Col. Dargazelli returned to Baghdad under promise of safety, but was shot dead by Saddam Hussein in person.

Est : £100.00 - £200.00 00 – Bid £300 – Hammer - £310

More to follow.........

Edited by oamotme

A high carat gold rectangular cigarette case, c.1950, the round cornered, rectangular hinged case approximately 131 x 86mm, decorated with a niello portrait of HRH Abdullah, Regent and Crown Prince of Iraq, in officer's uniform to the front cover, and Iraqi royal coat of arms to the back case, tested as approximately 22ct gold

This case was made by the court jewellers, Sigal, with the niello work carried out by local Amara craftsmen, and presented to the vendor by HRH Abdullah, Regent and Crown Prince of Iraq, for Christmas 1950/1 saying 'I have had my picture put on it so that you will never forget me'

Est : £6000.00 - £7000.00 00 – No Bid – Hammer - Unsold

A high carat gold gentleman's signet ring, with a niello enamel portrait of King Ghazi I to the oval head, to tapered gadrooned shoulders. Tested as approximately 22ct gold. Finger size approximately P-Q

Est : £280.00 - £350.00 00 – Bid £450 – Hammer - £700

And finally....A pair of cased gold cufflinks, each with a row of claw set sapphires to the centre, to a textured ground, with swivel fittings, hinged fitted case by Joaillerie Nagil Tabbah Beyrouth (2) Est : £130.00 - £180.00 00 – Bid £225 – Hammer - £350

As you will note I bid on all of these and without success except for the already mentioned medals and also the watch and watch chain.

Further to contact with the auctioneers I have gained the following information about Dr. Firth and also hope the get a picture of him in due course.

"My uncle, who went to school at Malvern College, trained at St Georges' Hospital in London (Hyde Park Corner) and was awarded the Hunter Medal (which we still have). During the war he was posted to Egypt and we think he was attached to the Inns of Court Regiment. He was sent home to recover from a serious illness.. On his return he was posted to the British Military Hospital in Baghdad and lived in a house formerly rented by Agatha Christie. He was a Major in the RAMC and worked under Sir Harry Sinderson who was Physician to the Iraqi Royal Household.

When he returned home he set up as a private family doctor in Mayfair and maintained his Iraqi connections through the Iraqi Embassy. He was Faisal's guardian while the future King was at Harrow School. After the assassinations he cut all his ties with the Iraqi Embassy but kept his relations with the royalist army officers who remained in London."

Regards, Owain.

Very beautiful pieces there a few of the A high carat gold rectangular cigarette case asking $2,500-$3,000.00

Thank you for sharing these beauties prices are way high :love:

Lorenzo

Owain

Check out this El Rafidain Medal Bar

Air Vice Marshal Neill C. Ogilvie-Forbes O.B.E

- Oder of the British Empire (Officer - Military) 2nd Type

- 1939-45 Star

- WWII Defense Medal

- WWII War Medal (M.I.D.)

- Iraq Order of Rafidain (4th Class)

http://www.eaglesand...vie-Forbes.html

Lorenzo

Owain,

I am glad you got the Iraqi physician group. I noticed on the web but by which time it had just been sold. Very nice.

Paul

Paul,

They have gone to a good home. I am hopeful of getting a photo of Dr. Firth as and when and indeed if it arrives I will post it for you and others to see.

Kind regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

Paul,

They have gone to a good home. I am hopeful of getting a photo of Dr. Firth as and when and indeed if it arrives I will post it for you and others to see.

Kind regards,

Owain

Owain

I hope you do find an old photo of the Dr. it is always great to put a face to a piece of history.

Thank you for sharing

Lorenzo

Gentlemen,

Arrived to day a couple of scans of photos of the good Doctor Firth at a reception - probably in London (iraqi Embassy?) some time I think in the early to mid 1950's - after the accession / coronation of Faisal II and before the 1958 overthrow of the monarchy. The miniatures are clearly visible and thus some decent provenance for them.

Regards,

Owain

Guest IMHF

Owain

How are you doing my brother just wanted to know if you received my Email. I was wondering if you would consider my offer.

Thank you very much

Lorenzo

Gentlemen,

Taken from the same photo and standign next to Dr. Firth and unknown British officer - a nice rack of miniatures:

• CB
    • DSO & Bar
    • OBE or MBE Military
    • ?? Unknown
    • WW1 War
    • WW1 Victory
    • GSM - 2 Clasps
    • 39/45 Star
    • ?? Unknown Star
    • WW2 Defence
    • WW2 War + MID
    • Order of Rafidain & rosette
    • Iraq Active Service Medal

He is also wearing on the lower right of his jacket, but not shown, the breast star of the Rafidain - with the miniature - a second class / grand officer set? No neck badge with this grade of award. Any suggestions as to who.....?.

Regards,

Owain

Guest IMHF

Owain

Very nice Imaged Photos, I am glad we can put a face to the medal Set.

Thank you for posting

Lorenzo