News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rafidain Medal Group

oamotme

Gentlemen,

Some further information:

In Sir Harry Sinderson's, the physician to the Iraqi Royal Family. autobiography, published 1973, he refers, on page 261 to, "Dr. Raymond Dixon Firth, medical adviser to the British Military Mission was to succeed me at the palace". Dr. Firth left Iraq in 1948 having been part of the British Military Mission. It is possible that the photograph of Dr. Firth wearing his miniature medals was taken at a reception during the State Visit of King Faisal to the UK in July 1956. Dr. R.D. Firth was born on 12 February 1916 in Beverley, Yorkshire and died on 18 September 2005 in Hull Royal Infirmary. He lived in Hessle near Hull in Yorkshire.

The other senior officer pictured may be either a General H.C. Smith. or Dr. Firth's Commanding Officer at the BMM a General J.M.L. Renton.

I have now exhausted my supply of information from the vendor and thus any further information will have to be gleaned from alternative sources such as the London Gazette or Public Record Office.

Regards,

Owain.

Guest IMHF

Owain

You really know how to go deep into the Research and History I love this thread very much!:cheers:

Thank you

Lorenzo

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

This story continues. I have been contacted indirectly by the family to advise that have found the breast star to go with the Rafidain medal group. Thus it appears that the good Doctor was awarded a 2nd Class of the Order - I have not been able to trace a London Gazette entry but not withstanding this lack of documentation the provenance is good and I have added the star to the group - see attached.

Kind regards,

Owain

Very nice, Owain. The research and personal history of the piece is something I find particularly fascinating.

I put together some research on a Serbian Order of St Sava recently which arrived with a very interesting calling card. In the end, the award and the individual I was hoping to match it against did not align. But in the process I learnt the story of a very interesting individual.

Gavin

Guest IMHF

Gentlemen,

Here is the reverse of the star - no visible marks - possibly of French (Bertrand) manufacture.

Owain

Owain

This issue of the Order of the Two Rivers Breast Badge is that of the Garrard Jewelry Company

-I have both types of manufacturer issues and with the comparison you have the Issue of Garrard.

Thank you

Lorenzo

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

In addition to the medals there were a number of accompanying lots:

A gold telescopic action propelling pencil, with a square section body, with ruler markings from 0-6 inch, tested as approximately 14ct gold

Est : £120.00 - £180.0000 – Bid £225 – Hammer - £280

A cased rolled gold Elgin open faced pocket watch, with a cream dial, gilt Arabic numerals and hands with subsidiary seconds dial. Case marked 'Keystone No. 51748, Movement No. 36762605'. Hand engraved to the back case with a crown, facsimile signature and date. Suspended on a gold fancy bar link watch chain with a bolt ring clasp, replacement rolled gold swivel clasp broken, chain tested as approximately 14ct gold.

This watch was presented to the vendor in London 1959 by Col. Salman Dargazelli 'on behalf of the Free Iraqi Officers'. It had been presented to him in 1941 by the Regent of Iraq in recognition of his loyalty in the Rashid Ali revolt. Col. Dargazelli returned to Baghdad under promise of safety, but was shot dead by Saddam Hussein in person.

Est : £100.00 - £200.00 00 – Bid £300 – Hammer - £310

More to follow.........

Wow

That pocket watch has a lot of interesting information behind it well worth more then what the amount was after the hammer was dropped.

-I was wondering how would bids be made on these items and how do they send you your item if you win. Do you have to make way to pick the items up? I will be saving for the next Auction like this I have saved the link to my favorites to check back from time to time for new Kingdom Era Iraqi Militaria.

Thank you

Lorenzo

• 2 weeks later...

Will,

Yes, lots of potential for research and I hope to get a pciture of Dr. Dixon Firth in due course - possibly some supporting documentation as well, but not guaranteed.

Lorenzo,

You are correct - a UK issue miniature Faisal Coronation. In the past I have seen one similar full size group to the British Butler at the Iraqi Embassy - I think it consisted of Royal Victorian Medal or British Empire Medal, a couple of WW2 medals, the Rafidain Medal and Faisal Coronation Medal - I was broke at the time and thus couldn't afford to bid!. I now have 3 full size UK manufactured coronation medasl - out of 5,000 = 0.06%!

I am sorry I cannot post any further images as the medals are in UK and I am in Riyadh - I will actually get to hold them when I next visit UK in August / September.

Regards,

Owain

Iraqi Kingdom Era 1953 king Faisel II Coronation Medals English mint of only 5000 Struck

Owain

I just picked these up here in Iraq with these (15) and the (10) I have at home makes (25) I believe that there is 5 more that I can get my hands on.

Thank you very much for your viewing.

Lorenzo

Iraqi Kingdom Era 1953 king Faisel II Coronation Medals English mint of only 5000 Struck

Owain

I just picked these up here in Iraq with these (15) and the (10) I have at home makes (25) I believe that there is 5 more that I can get my hands on.

Thank you very much for your viewing.

Lorenzo

Reverse:

Here is an Image of the Reverse of all 15 Medals I picked up here in Iraq all but one has the original silver Mounting pin back system.

Thank you for viewing

Lorenzo

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen,

Currently in UK and have collected the group of medals - further I am pleased to note that with the Rafidain Breast star came its presentation case by Gerrard of London and a handwritten note by Dr. Firth stating, "Order of Rafidain 2nd Class given to me by the Regent 1951. 1st Class of 5 classes is awarded to Royal Family only. its medal (middle on pin) should have a crown attached (see miniatures) but it came off. The green + white is the Iraqi equivalent of our MC + awarded following military operations in Kurdistan 1946/7." This text whilst not wholly accurate is wonderful in that it confirms that Dr. Firth was indeed awarded the 2nd class of the Rafidain in person by the Regent Abdulillah in 1951 and the Active service medal in 1947. Whether these are noted in the London Gazette is to be confirmed but I suspect not as the Order appears to have been a personal bestowal by the Regent as opposed to an Iraqi Government award and the ASM a "routine" award.

Kind regards,

Owain

• 3 months later...

Gentlemen;

I am looking for an example of the Wisam Al Rafidain for my Iraqi medal collection. The photos posted early in this thread are amazing and I am truely envious of some of the collections I have seen on here! Regretably, I was not able to make a deal on an Al Rafidain before I left Iraq. I appreciate any help!

Gentlemen,

I attach the image of a nice Rafidain group, plus miniatures which I have recently purchased, awarded to Dr. Dixon Firth, sometime Medical Officer with the Royal Iraqi Household after the the Second World War:

• UK Defence Medal 1939-45
    • UK War Medal 1939-45
    • Iraq Order of the Rafidain 5th Class Civil ( with blutack affixing ribbon crown to suspension!)
    • Iraq Active Service Medal
    • Iraq Faisal Coronation Medal

The table medal is one of a series issued during the early years of King Faisal II reign commemorating various civil works.

Regards,

Owain

Owain,

Thank you for posting this amazing grouping! He has more Iraqi medals than British. Did he serve as a military doctor, or a purely civilian role?

Dear Paul,

Dr. Firth initally served in the military then became doctor to the Royal Household in Baghdad. Om his return to UK he was one of the guardians of the young King Faisal II. After the revolution in 1958 he was one of the organisers of the memorial service in London for the Iraqi royal family. See earlier posts for further limited details. Unfortunately as far as I have been able to ascertain he left no memoirs.

Happy new year to one and all,

Owain

Gentlemen,

I detail below the text of an article I drafted on this group and which was published recently, in amodified form, by the OMRS Miniature Branch Journal

Kind regards,

Owain.

Royal Iraqi Service

Earlier this year a fellow collector, knowing of my interest in Arab awards, referred me to a lot on sales at the Essex auction house Sworders. In due course I was able to purchase the medals and the accompanying miniatures and with some perseverance an interesting tale emerged.

The group in question belonged to the late Dr. Dixon Firth, sometime Medical Officer with the Royal Iraqi Household in Baghdad, after the Second World War, and consisted of:

• UK Defence Medal 1939-45.

• UK War Medal 1939-45.

• Iraq Order of the Rafidain, Civil Division, probably 4th Class.

• Iraq Active Service Medal.

• Iraq Faisal Coronation Medal.

Also with the group was a table medal, one of a series issued during the early years of King Faisal II reign commemorating various civil works – in this instance one of the dams on the Euphrates – Tigris waterways. In addition to the medals there were a number of accompanying lots:

A gold telescopic action propelling pencil, with a square section body, with ruler markings from 0-6 inch, tested as approximately 14ct gold. Est : £120.00 - £180.0000 – Hammer - £280

A cased rolled gold Elgin open faced pocket watch, with a cream dial, gilt Arabic numerals and hands with subsidiary seconds dial. Case marked 'Keystone No. 51748, Movement No. 36762605'. Hand engraved to the back case with a crown, facsimile signature and date. Suspended on a gold fancy bar link watch chain with a bolt ring clasp, replacement rolled gold swivel clasp broken, chain tested as approximately 14ct gold. This watch was presented to the vendor in London 1959 by Col. Salman Dargazelli 'on behalf of the Free Iraqi Officers'. It had been presented to him in 1941 by the Regent of Iraq in recognition of his loyalty in the Rashid Ali revolt. Col. Dargazelli returned to Baghdad under promise of safety, but was shot dead by Saddam Hussein in person. Est : £100.00 - £200.00 00 – Hammer - £310

A high carat gold rectangular cigarette case, c.1950, the round cornered, rectangular hinged case approximately 131 x 86mm, decorated with a niello portrait of H.R.H. Abdullah, Regent and Crown Prince of Iraq, in officer's uniform to the front cover, and Iraqi royal coat of arms to the back case, tested as approximately 22ct gold. This case was made by the court jewellers, Sigal, with the niello work carried out by local Amara craftsmen, and presented to the vendor by HRH Abdullah, Regent and Crown Prince of Iraq, for Christmas 1950/1 saying 'I have had my picture put on it so that you will never forget me.' Est : £6000.00 - £7000.00 00 – Unsold

A high carat gold gentleman's signet ring, with a niello enamel portrait of King Ghazi I to the oval head, to tapered gadrooned shoulders. Tested as approximately 22ct gold. Finger size approximately P-Q. Est : £280.00 - £350.00 00 – Bid £450 – Hammer - £700

.A pair of cased gold cufflinks, each with a row of claw set sapphires to the centre, to a textured ground, with swivel fittings, hinged fitted case by Joaillerie Nagil Tabbah Beyrouth (2) Est : £130.00 - £180.00 00 – Bid £225 – Hammer - £350

With the exception of the cigarette case I placed bids on all lots and was successful in obtaining aforementioned medals and the pocket watch. Sometime after the auction I was contacted by the auction house advising me that the family had found the breast star to go with the medal group. Thus it appeared Dr. Firth was not awarded a 4th class of the Order of the Rafidain, as I had assumed, but the 2nd Class of the Order .After some negotiation I was able to purchase the star.

Having obtained the medals my next step was to try and obtain additional information concerning Dr. Firth and after contacting the auction house who kindly passed on my request to the vendors I was advised as follows:

"My uncle, who went to school at Malvern College, trained at St George’s Hospital in London (Hyde Park Corner) and was awarded the Hunter Medal (which we still have). During the war he was posted to Egypt and we think he was attached to the Inns of Court Regiment. He was sent home to recover from a serious illness.. On his return he was posted to the British Military Hospital in Baghdad and lived in a house formerly rented by Agatha Christie. He was a Major in the RAMC and worked under Sir Harry Sinderson who was Physician to the Iraqi Royal Household.

When he returned home he set up as a private family doctor in Mayfair and maintained his Iraqi connections through the Iraqi Embassy. He was Faisal's guardian while the future King was at Harrow School. After the assassinations he cut all his ties with the Iraqi Embassy but kept his relations with the royalist army officers who remained in London."

Soon after receipt of this information I received a couple of scans of photographs Dr. Firth at a reception - probably in London (possibly the Iraqi Embassy) some time, I think in the early to mid 1950's, after the accession and coronation of King Faisal II and before the 1958 overthrow of the monarchy. It is possible that the photograph of was taken at a reception during the State Visit of King Faisal to the United Kingdom in July 1956.The miniatures are clearly visible and thus provide decent provenance for them. (The other senior officer pictured may be either a General H.C. Smith. or Dr. Firth's Commanding Officer at the BMM a General J.M.L. Renton.)

As I am resident in Riyadh and although the purchase was initially made in April it was not until my UK leave in September that I was able to collect the group of medals. Upon reviewing the awards I was pleased to note that the Rafidain breast star came its presentation case by Garrard of London and was accompanied by a handwritten note by Dr. Firth stating, "Order of Rafidain 2nd Class given to me by the Regent 1951. 1st Class of 5 classes is awarded to Royal Family only. Its medal (middle on pin) should have a crown attached (see miniatures) but it came off. The green + white is the Iraqi equivalent of our MC + awarded following military operations in Kurdistan 1946/7." This text whilst not wholly accurate – the green and white ribbon suspends the Active Service Medal which is not a bravery award - is essential as it confirms that Dr. Firth was indeed awarded the 2nd class of the Rafidain in person by the Regent Abdulillah in 1951 and the Active Service Medal in 1947. Whether these are noted in the London Gazette is to be confirmed but I suspect not as the Order appears to have been a personal bestowal by the Regent as opposed to an Iraqi Government award and the ASM a "routine" award.

To date the only entry I have been able to trace in the London Gazette for Dr. Firth relates to appointment to the rank of Lieutenant in the Royal Army Medical Corps with effect from 5 December 1940 – his service number was 159539. After the end of the Second World War Dr. Firth was appointed medical adviser to the British Military Mission in Iraq and in 1947 succeed Sir Harry C. Sinderson Pasha, KBE, CMG, MVO, MD, FRCP as physician to the Royal Household. In Sinderson’s 1973 autobiography - he refers, on page 261 to, "Dr. Raymond Dixon Firth, medical adviser to the British Military Mission was to succeed me at the palace". It would appear that Dr. Firth left Iraq in 1948. Dr. R.D. Firth was born on 12 February 1916 in Beverley, Yorkshire and died on 18 September 2005 in Hull Royal Infirmary. He lived in Hessle near Hull in Yorkshire.

Once when Abdulillah “was leaving London after some medical treatment, for tonsillitis, and his doctor, Raymond Dixon Firth, tried to persuade him to delay a little longer, he added after gibing his reason for a speedy return some political trouble: ‘ Ah, well – I suppose they’ll get me in the end’.” These were indeed prophetic words and the bloody revolution of 14 of July included the deaths of the young King Faisal II, Abdulillah and the Prime Minister Nuri Said Later that month Dr. Firth and Colonel Gerald de Gaury were instrumental in the arrangement of a memorial service held on 30 July at the Chapel Royal Savoy – the Chapel of the Royal Victorian Order as all three had been honorary Knights Grand Cross of the order.

The terms of award for the War and Defence Medals are well known but I detail below information concerning the Iraqi awards:

• Order of Al Rafidain

The Iraqi Government Gazette. No. 15 of 9 April 1927, published the law relating to the institution of the Kingdom of Iraq’s’s first Order, that of Al Rafidain, or the Order of the Two Rivers, so named after the two rivers of the Kingdom – the Euphrates and Tigris. Instituted in two divisions, civil and military, and of five classes, the regulations for the order were published in June 1928 and order was instituted to reward service to the nation. The award of the first class or promotion thereto was limited to those performing prominent service or who had held or held high office. The design of the badge consists of a seven pointed star, bearing in the centre a gilt crown on a blue background surrounded by a white circle with, uppermost, the inscription “The Kingdom of Iraq” and below “Justice is the Foundation of the State”. Originally the military division was to be differentiated with the lower inscription reading “Patriotism is of the Faith” however it appears that this differentiation was never implemented and the military division inscription became applicable to both divisions. The inscription “Justice is the Foundation of the State” is found on the reverse of the badge above the Hijra date “1345” and encircles the inscription “Faisal The First”. The military division badge is marked by a pair of crossed swords in the laurel wreath suspension of the badge. The ribbon of the order is dark red with two black stripes inset from each edge and the military division bears a further central black stripe. Each class is awarded as follows:

1. 1st Class Sash (over right shoulder), badge, and breast star worn on the right breast. The Order in this grade was initially limited to 50 later modified to 60 persons, with a fee of Rupees 120.

2. 2nd Class Gilt breast badge with or without rosette on ribbon and breast star, with star worn on the right breast. The Order in this grade was initially limited to 100 later increased to 200 persons, with a fee of Rupees 80.

3. 3rd Class Neck badge. The Order in this grade was initially limited to 150 later increased to 300 persons, with a fee of Rupees 60.

4. 4th Class Breast badge in gilt with rosette or crown on ribbon. The Order in this grade was initially limited to 200 persons with a fee of Rupees 40 but subsequently awards were unlimited in number.

5. 5th Class Breast badge in silver. Awards of this class were unlimited and the award incurred a fee of Rupees 15.

Whilst awards to non-Iraqi nationals were not constrained by the aforementioned numbers such awards were not to exceed a quarter of the numbers specified.

• The Active Service Medal

This medal, along with the Iraqi Gallantry Medal, was instituted by the “Law for the Creation of Gallantry and Active Service Medals, 1926” and published in the eleventh issue of the Iraqi Government Gazette of 15 May, 1926: Although referred to in the title of the Regulations as the General Service Medal, the inscription on the medal and all subsequent references to it in the Iraqi Government Gazette refer to it as the Active Service Medal. The medal consists of a bronze discwith a crescent at the bottom part and above it circular wreath open at the top. The disc is fixed upon two crossed rifles with their muzzles appearing at the top and their butts at the bottom of the disc. Between the muzzles a radiation of nine lance points. In the centre of the obverse the inscription “General Service” and on the obverse “Faisal The First” and the Hijrah date of institution. The ribbon consists of a central white band and the two side quarters of green. In the initial regulations it was stated that subsequent awards were to be noted by the grant of silver clasps, noting the name and date of the campaign and to be fixed to the ribbon. In fact five bronze clasps are known and it would appear that these were issued loose as the design of the medal’s suspension bar did not easily accommodate such clasps. Such clasps as issued to the British Royal Air Force were affixed to the medal and are believed to have been attached locally. The qualifying periods for the award of this medal were all detailed in the IGG. Whilst initially the medal was issued without clasps for various operations, from 1930 to 1936, five distinct clasps were issued - Southern Kurdistan 1930-31; Barzan 1932; Tiareen Operations 1933; Euphrates Operations 1935; and Euphrates Operations 1936. Miniatures of this medal exist, in varying sizes, and are usually seen with groups reflecting pre- Second World War service in Iraq. As far as I am aware the only clasp in miniature seen is “Southern Kurdistan 1930-31”.

• 1953 Coronation Medal

This was instituted by Regulation No. 11 of 1953 and known as “The Faisal II Medal” marks the occasion of the coronation of King Faisal on 2nd of May 1953. The silver medal, 32mm. in diameter bears on the obverse the head of King Faisal II in profile, and the reverse bears an Iraqi crown resting on a monogram of the two Arabic letters for “F” for Faisal and below which is the inscription “Crowned Year 1372 H 1953M”. The ribbon, consists of a central crimson band, with three narrow edge stripes coloured respectively white, green and white. Whilst the original issue was manufactured by the British Royal Mint a subsequent issue of bronze, with slightly different dimensions, was authorised and this was made by Huguenin of Switzerland. Miniatures of both British and Swiss manufacture exist but the Swiss version appears to be more commonplace.

Finally it is interesting to note that the Revolutionary Command Council of Iraq in Law No. 95 of 1982 conducted a full review of the orders, decorations and medals of Iraq and Article 32 notes the “recipients of the following decorations and medals shall continue to wear the same after the enforcement of this law – General Service Medal, May 1941 Campaign Medal, 1948 Palestine War Medal, etc.” Accordingly along with the exception of the Order of the Two Rivers, the I.A.S.M. was the only medal, albeit modified in design, which made the transition from monarchy to republic.

All in all I was delighted to have progressed thus far with my limited research and having exhausted my supply of information from the vendor and considered that any further information would l have to be gleaned from alternative sources such as the London Gazette or Public Record Office.

Bibliography

• Birdwood, Lord, Nuri as-Said, Cassell, 1959.

• De Gaury, Gerald, Three Kings in Baghdad, Hutchinson, 1951.

• London Gazette, Supplement to the, 3 February,1941, Page 665.

• Raw-Rees, Owain, Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America, Vol.48. Issue No.8 of 1997, “The King Faisal Coronation Medal”.

• Raw-Rees, Owain, Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America, Vol.57. Issue No.1 of 2006, “The Orders, Decorations and Medals of the Kingdom of Iraq”.

• Raw-Rees, Owain, OMRS Journal Vol.47. Issue No.2 of 2008, “Barzan 1933 - The Iraq Active Service Medal and the Clasp That Never Was”.

• Sinderson, Sir Harry C., Ten Thousand & One Nights, Hodder & Stoughton, 1973.

• Sworders Fine Arts Auctioneers, Country House Sale, 19 April 2011, Lots 686 & 487-491.

• Correspondence with John G Black BA (Hons) Associate, Sworders Fine Arts Auctioneers.

Owain Raw-Rees, Riyadh, October, 2011.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this Owain. Always fascinating to learn about the life of the individual behind the Order.

It reminds you that these weren't just pretty trinklets awarded to officials for long service or visiting VIPs. They were, in many cases awarded to brave and courageous individuals who really did make a contribution to the world around them.

Gavin

PS. I'm still looking for those elusive Libya Kingdom Orders ... Maybe one day ...

• 2 months later...
    • 8 months later...

Gentlemen, The officer in the photograph is MG J M L (Callum) Renton, Rifle Brigade. he was my guardian when I came to the UK following the 1958 revolution in Iraq. General Renton spent several years in Iraq helping establish the Iraqi Army. Timoor

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...