News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 3 months later...

Hello, my understanding was that crosses without swords by Leser should only be early types. These early types had different medallion on the back and different hinge. But that's only how I see that.

Unfortunately I don't have any example and I doubt anyone here does...remember the number of awards :(

Gentlemen,

I cannot claim any expertise with regard to MVK’s, but I find this (post #10) cross to be intriguing and very much look forward to the expert’s opinions.

I would also like take this opportunity to offer a word of caution. While I appreciate the importance of extremely low award figures, they do not automatically preclude the existence of surviving pieces.

Regards,

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

I would also like take this opportunity to offer a word of caution. While I appreciate the importance of extremely low award figures, they do not automatically preclude the existence of surviving pieces.

Indeed,

Without being able to comment on the badges, I think from a practicle point of view, once you have the dies ct, the machine set up and the raw material ready.... it is onlikely that they made things in batches of 10.

I wonder what the minimum produktion run was ?

For non enamel awards maybe a couple of hundred? Then as you get to awards with a lot of hand work (Enamel etc) mabe the same, but with less of them being "finished", more "stored parts" which could be finished as needed?

Best

Chris

Indeed,

Without being able to comment on the badges, I think from a practicle point of view, once you have the dies ct, the machine set up and the raw material ready.... it is onlikely that they made things in batches of 10.

I wonder what the minimum produktion run was ?

For non enamel awards maybe a couple of hundred? Then as you get to awards with a lot of hand work (Enamel etc) mabe the same, but with less of them being "finished", more "stored parts" which could be finished as needed?

Best

Chris

Good point Chris. But remember that in case of Jacob Leser the swords were only attached with bolt and nut. Only thing you need to do is to unscrew them and you have a perfect non combattant cross without any traces of swords being ever there. Sometimes the swords leave a traces of oxidation on the cross, these are however not visible on the one pictured.

My point with the early production types was that crosses without swords were only made up to 1915. At that time Leser produced their first model with different medallion and hinge. I cannot show an example of an early production as I'm far far away from my collection at the moment. Cross that we can see on the pictures above is the latest production made roughly from mid 1915 onwards.

Hello

Indeed it´s easy to remove swords from MVKs.

But there ist sometimes the possibilitiy to see some prints/scratches at the upper arm of a MVK (where the swords had been formerly fixed). You can see some examples for these scratches at attached picture. I´ve marked them with a red arrow.

You can also see a scratch at the MVK at post nr. 10.

The MVK at Post nr. 1-4 is a late Weiss (e.g. design of the lion). It´s a good example, that not all MVK with removed swords shows these scratches.

But beware: even swords from early Leser can be removed!

Kind regards

Rudi