News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interresting photos of a Landwehr NCO

Christophe,

A wonderful group which seems to belong to a Landsturm man from Hamburg!

In post #3 the shoulder strap seems to show battalion number 29. Can you read the corps district number in roman numerals?

Do you have any indications of which Landsturm unit(s) he served with?

David

Christophe,

That is a great group of photos that show his progression in rank and awards. His name appears to be F. Bouvenir. His final rank is that of Offizierstellvertreter, A Feldwebel (in this case)serving as an acting officer. It was a wartime rank only created in 1914 due to the heavy officer casualties early in the war. It appears to be a french name, which is not unusual in Germany. I have seen generals and other officers with names of French ancestry.

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your comments. Daniel, please a better scan of the shoulderstraps. This is the best I can do, the original photo is not in good condition. The scan is better than the original. IN the back of one of the photo Offstv. had got 60 years old in 1917. I think he belong to Landsturm not Landwehr according of his old age.

Regards

Christophe

Such "stage presence"-- you'd think he was at LEAST a Grand Duke! That "royal" fur collar is really the final touch for an old guy with a very theatrical sense of himself!

I was thinking the same thing, Rick. In fact in several of those photos, he could pass as the Kaiser's brother, Prince Heinrich of Prussia! Maybe he was aware of that? :rolleyes:

Edited by Mike Dwyer