News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Medjidie

drclaw

It's been a little quiet here so thought I'd post my Orders of Medjidie.

1) 4th (?) Class - recently purchased from Barbara Radman. It has a gold centre medallion but no rosette on the ribbon. It has a Turkish mint mark on the reverse.

2) 5th Class Crimean period - purchased from Michael at Rarusnet.

I'd earlier posted pics of the Crimean Medjidie but this photo shows it after it's been carefully cleaned with a silver polishing cloth.

It was sad to remove 150 years of patina (and history) but the medal has now been "restored" to as close a condition as when it first left the Istanbul mint. But I can understand how many collectors would prefer preserving the original patina of a medal.

Gavin

Hey Gavin, Thanks for posting these beauties! I think you are making me a convert to this Turkish Medjidie order like I made you a covert to the Iraq El Rafidain order medals.love.gif

I always thought the patina issue should be left to the individual collector's preference and not be an issue of judgement. When the original owners wore them, I am sure they were kept bright and shiny, so why do people scorn the polishing of medals? Classic cars are kept bright and shiny despite their age with points taken off for less that perfect shine. Your medals look great!

Markus

It was sad to remove 150 years of patina (and history) but the medal has now been "restored" to as close a condition as when it first left the Istanbul mint. But I can understand how many collectors would prefer preserving the original patina of a medal.

Gavin

A better analogy might be the restored and running vintage tanks at the Bovington Tank Museum.

Who would have thought that something so shiny could be so deadly. :lol:

A lovely bar, Signalcorps! :beer:

I'm only a recent collector of the Order of Medjidie and find the history fascinating.

Many of the Medjidies were awarded to British servicemen in the 19th Century when Britain was an ally for almost 50 years. They often turn up in Crimea or Sudan medal sets.

And then in WWI, it was Britain who was the enemy so you now find them in German bars. An example of how politics can change.

Dean, as always a beautiful bar! jumping.gifjumping.gif Here's a bit of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Medjidie

I'm supposed to be part Turkish... although just a bit. Would have loved to have gotten some of their ODM's but seems not only with those but also in one of my other areas of interest, pocket watches, anything from the Ottoman Empire has gone up, up, up in price and I've basically been priced out, at least for the foreseeable future. speechless.gif

Great addition to your collection! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

drclaw,

Can you help me determine what version is on this bar?

Thank you.

Dean

This one really hangs low.

I'm somewhat surprised the medalbar maker didn't put the hook at nearer the top. I'm used to these not lining up with the rest of the awards -but this is a real stretch.