News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bundeswehr pics showing wear of 57 awards

Here's a thought. If anyone has pics of members of the West German armed forces who served in WW2 and are wearing their 57 awards, even ribbon bars with devices, etc., and especially any that are shown wearing "denazified" original TR awards they would be a valuable addition. We often see the awards but only occasionally see them in wear and even then usually in ribbon bar form. But I think this would be a good reference source if we can gather enough photos. Hey, even if you know of a video you can post or post a link too that shows them being worn... go for it! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

hauptmann, here are a few. Not very good. Cheers Captain Albert :cheers:

Hey, I think they're terrific! And a great start to the thread to boot! jumping.gifjumping.gif Many thanks Capt'n!beer.gif

Oh, if you have any info on the pics... say the name of the pictured individual please add it as every little bit of info helps. rolleyes.gif

Okay, we've got a start... let's keep em' coming! biggrin.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Dave... great additions to the thread. Good to see that it's starting to grow. jumping.gifjumping.gif Many thanks for contributing these! beer.gif Love that he's wearing the medal bar as opposed to just the ribbons. Seems so many of the WW2 vets decided to go with just the ribbons the vast majority of the time during their service in the Bundeswehr/Bundesmarine/Luftwaffe with just a very few wearing the actual 57 awards. So great to see pics like this whenever possible. biggrin.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Dave... great additions to the thread. Good to see that it's starting to grow. jumping.gifjumping.gif Many thanks for contributing these! beer.gif Love that he's wearing the medal bar as opposed to just the ribbons. Seems so many of the WW2 vets decided to go with just the ribbons the vast majority of the time during their service in the Bundeswehr/Bundesmarine/Luftwaffe with just a very few wearing the actual 57 awards. So great to see pics like this whenever possible. biggrin.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Given the political and social realities of West Germany, there probably weren't alot of opportunities for German officers to wear full-size medals. Heck, I don't think I ever wore full-size medals except at a Presidential inauguration. In the picture, Graf von Kielmansegg is wearing his at his retirement ceremony.

Given the political and social realities of West Germany, there probably weren't alot of opportunities for German officers to wear full-size medals. Heck, I don't think I ever wore full-size medals except at a Presidential inauguration. In the picture, Graf von Kielmansegg is wearing his at his retirement ceremony.

It's a shame as, like most if not all soldiers they were proud of their awards and the service and sacrifices they represented, albeit in this instance not the regime or the crimes they committed.

Dan cheers.gif

Oberst d.R. Wolfram Kertz, wearing the even less commonly seen miniature Ordenspange.

Definitely a great addition here! jumping.gifjumping.gif Just love what I'm seeing. Thanks so much for sharing and please keep em' coming! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

The following photos are neat, because they pair up a World War II photo with a post-war one. I'm not sure who did them; I found them on a military photos forum, and the person who posted them there didn't say where he got them (they weren't his own work; he didn't even know who the people were). If anyone has seen the pairings before, let me know so they can be properly credited.

Friedrich Anding of the Großdeutschland Division

Friedrich-August Freiherr von der Heydte, who led the last major German airborne operation of the war.

Last but not least, Rudolf Witzig, famous for the battle of Fort Eben-Emael.

Heres my colourised version done some while back

Alex K

Edited by Alex K

Dan,

A good suggestion for a thread. I don't have any photos to add from this computer. I'll try to post some from the other one later today.

Re the pairs of Knights Cross winners who served in the Wehrmacht/BW. I can not remember the name of the book these fotos were taken from but I'll see if I can find out.

Regards,

Gordon

A close up of his ribbon bar. Ebeling was a bomber pilot during the war. Following the war he went to medical school and became a doctor. During his time in the Bundesluftwaffe he became well know for his research in high altitude medicine.

Edited by Gordon Craig

Horst von Schroeter (10-06-1919 - 25-07-2006),

RK am 01-06-44 als Oblt.z.S.

Kdt. U123; Kdt. U2506

Konteradmiral und Stellvertretender Inspekteur der Bundesmarine

2hqxdon.jpg

Friedrich Kemnade (12-12-1911 - 29-01-2008),

RK am 23-04-42, als Kptlt; EL am 37-03-43 als Kkpt.

Chef 3. S-Flott.

Konteradmiral und Befehlshaber im Wehrbezirk I-Kiel

kb4m1.jpg

Gordon

Thanks for posting these excellent photos. Is this the same uniform worn by the Doctor in the photograph I wonder?

Simon

Coldstream,

It probably is the same uniform. I obtained the complete uniform-tunic, pants, shirt and tie plus his visor cap from a U.S. Army Special Forces Major who was a friend of Ebeling. Ebeling gave him the uniform after he retired.

It came with several pieces of correcpondance between the two men, fotos, a hand written history from Ebeling from war time through the BW years and Ebelings death notice card.

Regards,

Gordon