News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bundeswehr pics showing wear of 57 awards

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

here are two pictures of my father in law.

He won hie EK2 as a lieutenant on the Ostfront 1945.

The picture in the little article was taken in Tokyo where he represented Germany for four years as military attaché during the 1970s. The Captain left was the commandant of the Deutschland which visited Tokyo at this time.

Michael

It is a shame that these awards or some version of them are sstill not authorized inthe German Bundeswehr. I think they should at least bring back a Pre-1914 EK version. Their current awards system, just doesn't make any sense.

The photos are great. I wonder where many of the uniforms and awards are now?

This seems like a good time to post some pictures from my collection of Ebelings uniform.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi,

it looks like he wears silver aesculaps on his shoulder.

Does it only seam so because the of the light/flash?

Michael

Edited by aubagne98

I wonder where many of the uniforms and awards are now?

In case I haden´t picked it up, my mother-in-law would have thrown it away after his death.

I think that happended to many uniforms, because no widow would keep her dead man´s working clothes. Engineer, bakerman, postman...

In case I haden´t picked it up, my mother-in-law would have thrown it away after his death.

Micheal, well saved ! a stunning set, with amazing provenance !

Prost ! Steve.

Yes, I have saved all.

His 1944 Lieutenant jacket, all pictures from his beginning, when he was a young captain in SHAPE (that time it was in Paris). Him with the generals Heusinger, de Maiziere, Steinhoff and some Bundeskanzlers, later Bundespräsidents and several ministers of Defence...very interesting.

• 9 months later...

I suppose its too late to respond to this topic, its been finished for almost a year now, but I just felt compelled to add my story.

On my father's side, my grandfather worked with the British colonial administration in Johor. (While Johor was one of the Unfederated Malay States, it had a British resident advisor and an administrative arm). He fought against the Japanese when they invaded and lived through the occupation (guess they never found out he fought against them). For this, he received about four British medals, including 'two stars'. I'll never find out what they were, because: a relative claimed she THREW THEM AWAY! Along with all his sporting trophies and plaques, upon his passing. I suspect she sold them, but the truth will never be known. The incident really threw me into a conniption. Didn't matter whether they were indeed sold or junked - they're gone from the rightful heir (my father) either due to stupidity or greed.

I find it just so sad when someone passes on, and their legacy is so casually disposed of in however a manner. Not everyone is sentimental I guess, but it still irks me. But, without this happening, the collector's market for militaria would be quiet. I've seen medal bars and uniforms sold by grandchildren, often in return for beer money or to pay off debts. I suppose the latter is justifiable, though, but still.

Luckily, his Malayan/Malaysian medals survived and I now have them in my possession. Jubilees and long service medals, five of them. Will have to post them on here.

Apologies for double post.

Acquiring a ww2 vet's post-war service unifrom is one of my holy grails. The best I've managed so far is a 57 ribbon bar on an unissued BW uniform. I'm not entirely happy with the results, as its not authentic.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael and Uwe,

Interesting question. I received a lot of Ebeling's hand written correspondence when I bought this uniform including pictures of him wearing it. The pictures are all in black and white so I can not tell if the aesculaps is different colour or not. I checked the uniform and the pins on the aesculaps on both shoulder boards are gold. Perhaps the gold finish has disappeared over the years due to interaction between the material the aesculaps were made of and the material used for gold finish. I have no doubt that this uniform has not been alter in anyway from the time when Ebeling wore it.

Regards,

Gordon