News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Value of relatives Polish medals

My mother's uncle left me his medal and document collection. This consists of the Monte Cassino Cross ( with certificate), Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych), with certificate which is signed by the divisional general ( I believe this to be General Kopanski), along with a letter from his camp. (If somebody could verify his signature , I would be most grateful !!), Jerusalem cross, 3DSK badge, cap badge, and several other documents (Gwiazda za wojne and Gwiazda Italii, along with odznaki za rany)

The later do not come with medals etc.. The Cross of Valour is missing its original ribbon.If somebody is familiar with General Kopanskis signture and could verify it for me I would be very grateful.

I'm considering selling the collection as a whole and am open to offers.

My mother's uncles name was Wladyslaw Lagun. He was a saper in the 3 DSK.

I also have a couple of photos of him when he served in Palastine.

Kind regards.

Adam.

I have posted the Monte Cassino cross on Ebay. Please feel free to look at the pictures (cross and award document), even if you have no intention of bidding on them.

The link is :

My link

Hi Adam,

Nice cross. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

As for evaluations it is difficult to say. Ebay is a tricky place to sell as what may sell for hundreds of dollars one week may only sell for half the next. I know this from personal experience with selling on ebay.

What I can tell you is that the realistic prices for the items you have are as follows (all prices US$):

- Monte Cassino Cross w/document - $200.00

- Cross of Valour (sans ribbon) w/document - $125.00 - $150.00

- Jerusalem Cross - $65.00 - $75.00

- 3 DSK Badge - $75.00

- Cap Badge - $50.00

- Misc. Documents - $25.00 (without knowing what they are it is difficult to give an accurate value.)

That works out to $500.00 USD (just over 300 pounds). The bulk of the value is in the fact that the documents survive with the medals. If this were not the base you could cut the value in half (approximately). You might be able to add a few pounds as it is a true grouping.

Hope that was of some help.

Cheers,

Greg

Edited by GregK

Was very sorry to have sold a grouping that belonged to my mother's uncle - even if I did not know the man and even if I made some excellent money out of it.

Think twice about selling it as once its gone, it will be very hard to get it back... at least I knew the seller (even though it was an E-day sale and I was living in another country at the time) To the best of my knowledge, this group is still located some 3 Km away from where I am presently sitting down!! - but I still regret parting with it, particularly as it was fully documented to the menu of the dinner at the award ceremony and all possible newspaper cuttings...sigh!

Was very sorry to have sold a grouping that belonged to my mother's uncle - even if I did not know the man and even if I made some excellent money out of it.

Think twice about selling it as once its gone, it will be very hard to get it back... at least I knew the seller (even though it was an E-day sale and I was living in another country at the time) To the best of my knowledge, this group is still located some 3 Km away from where I am presently sitting down!! - but I still regret parting with it, particularly as it was fully documented to the menu of the dinner at the award ceremony and all possible newspaper cuttings...sigh!

I share your sentiments. I have had the medals in my possesion for over 20 years, unfortunately financial circumstances are forcing me to sell them. I don't want to, but sometimes life dictates that you have to do things that you don't want to !!

Kind regards,

Adam