News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mike,

Yes, a very long period of use. The same die (and design) is still used for the current helmet plate. The finish differs slightly and the divisions and numbers have been dropped and replaced with the letters "CP" (City Police) in gold anodised finish.

Dave.

It’s awfully hard, even for the most clever among us, to improve upon perfection. The City Police insignia is, in my not-so-humble opinion, one of the most beautiful police badges in the world. Why change? 

Mike

The RCMP is a very close second. We need a thread devoted to aesthetically beautiful police insignia. That should spark some fierce debates! :)

• 1 month later...

Talk about aesthetic beauty! The six-panel helmet has so much more subtle, but beautiful, character than any design that followed (in my humble opinion of course). Throw in a spike and those beautiful chin chain, and these helmets are works of art. 

Very nice helmets .....which I am assuming were Alan's at one time? Knew your dad well over a period of many years of collecting with a specific police collectors organisation. This is one of the nicest helmets in my collection. A helmet of an Inspector.

Glam officer helmet 1.jpg

The Inspectors helmet from the rear. The metal fittings are all silver plated.

glam officer helmet 2.jpg

Not police but worthy of inclusion on a military appreciation site. In my collection a rare officers rank helmet of the 4th Volunteer Battalion, South Wales Borderers. Very proud to have been able to acquire this helmet for my collection a few years ago.

DSCF5692%20(1).jpg

CeQRoAnWAAAt9Ew.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thanks Dave, you’ve saved me a fair few quid.  I nearly got this thinking it was a Met police style helmet.  Good job I checked!

That said, I’ve spent the best part of the afternoon searching as you suggested however, I really cannot see the difference from the grainy black & white pictures available?

Can anyone please help my poor old eyes and post a picture of a Met Police helmet from the 1880s so that I can determine the correct shape?

Thanks again Dave.

Edited by G Hanson

I apologise in advance to forum members for clogging this thread with questions but another quick one if I may?

This one is not advertised as Met police but would this be considered as the same or similar?  

It certainly looks similar to these "novice" eyes!

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

It transpired that the above helmet did not have 6 panels on the exterior as first led to believe, but rather a 6 panel construction interior!

So, the hunt continues.

Can anyone please tell me if the Victorian era Met Police helmets ever had a single vent hole and if so, when did they change to two vents?

• 3 years later...
    On 07/04/2018 at 01:57, Brian Wolfe said:

Very nice helmets and especially since they belonged to your father.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Regards

Brian

I agree

12 hours ago, Henry Chance said:

Less about the actual helmets themselves and more about the red lights work on top - I wonder if anyone has any further information about them? This was January 1917.

they could have been easy targets

• 4 weeks later...

Its a long time since anyone contributed to this thread so here are a couple of items from my collection. Firstly, a cap worn by the Chief Constable of Rochdale during the early part of the 20th century and a ceremonial helmet worn by Inspectors in the City of London Police. The latter item ceased to be used during the 1960's.

Dave.  

Rochdale CC.JPG

London City. Ch. Insp. Helmet. 1.JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

23 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

Its a long time since anyone contributed to this thread so here are a couple of items from my collection. Firstly, a cap worn by the Chief Constable of Rochdale during the early part of the 20th century and a ceremonial helmet worn by Inspectors in the City of London Police. The latter item ceased to be used during the 1960's.

Dave.  

Rochdale CC.JPG

London City. Ch. Insp. Helmet. 1.JPG

Looks amazing Dave thanks for posting!

In an attempt to generate some discussion of this subject I'm going to post some further images from my helmet collection. First up is a Liverpool City Police Chief Inspector's helmet. The gent who wore this helmet was the officer commanding the Liverpool City Police, Liverpool & Bootle Constabulary and Merseyside Police Mounted Department (up until circa. 1984). Just to clarify, although the plate has on it the King's Crown and the Liverpool City wording, the helmets continued to be worn by the mounted men on ceremonial occasions across the time period of the three forces through to 1983. They were expensive items for the force to buy and were only worn on two or three occasions each year. There was no personal issue. They were drawn from the Mounted Dept. Stores for the event and returned immediately after. This particular helmet was a "one off". It was the only one with chrome edging to the peak, and was  worn by the one and only Chief Inspector commanding the Dept. They were often seen being worn on "Grand National" day. 

In 1983, the whole of the "Liverpool City" stock of helmets were withdrawn and replaced by the current "Merseyside" badged version which continues in use to this day. That said, they are now seldom if ever worn. I will show the Merseyside current version in a later post.

Dave.  

DSCF1374 (2).JPG

DSCF1375 (2).JPG

On 02/04/2023 at 12:33, Dave Wilkinson said:

In an attempt to generate some discussion of this subject I'm going to post some further images from my helmet collection. First up is a Liverpool City Police Chief Inspector's helmet. The gent who wore this helmet was the officer commanding the Liverpool City Police, Liverpool & Bootle Constabulary and Merseyside Police Mounted Department (up until circa. 1984). Just to clarify, although the plate has on it the King's Crown and the Liverpool City wording, the helmets continued to be worn by the mounted men on ceremonial occasions across the time period of the three forces through to 1983. They were expensive items for the force to buy and were only worn on two or three occasions each year. There was no personal issue. They were drawn from the Mounted Dept. Stores for the event and returned immediately after. This particular helmet was a "one off". It was the only one with chrome edging to the peak, and was  worn by the one and only Chief Inspector commanding the Dept. They were often seen being worn on "Grand National" day. 

In 1983, the whole of the "Liverpool City" stock of helmets were withdrawn and replaced by the current "Merseyside" badged version which continues in use to this day. That said, they are now seldom if ever worn. I will show the Merseyside current version in a later post.

Dave.  

DSCF1374 (2).JPG

DSCF1375 (2).JPG

What an absolutely amazing looking helmet. I dare say it can't have been much fun to wear, but even so. Out of interest is it padded inside at all or like the old cork liner type ones? What a true one off as you say and consigned to history had it not been for your post so thanks.

Also, on the subject of helmets I don't suppose you have a Met inspectors helmet with the two silver bands rather than one black one or any information about this? I've seen photos from 80s Brixton riots with Inspectors wearing them in serials and one as recent being worn a few years ago on Flickr. I would imagine this is newly issued at the time as surely if it was an old one passed on the liner would have disintegrated? Do you also know Dave what forces issued Inspector helmets? I know Met, Northampton chief constable has been pictures in one and Sussex but no others. Thanks.

23 hours ago, I_♥_Police said:

What an absolutely amazing looking helmet. I dare say it can't have been much fun to wear, but even so. Out of interest is it padded inside at all or like the old cork liner type ones? What a true one off as you say and consigned to history had it not been for your post so thanks.

Also, on the subject of helmets I don't suppose you have a Met inspectors helmet with the two silver bands rather than one black one or any information about this? I've seen photos from 80s Brixton riots with Inspectors wearing them in serials and one as recent being worn a few years ago on Flickr. I would imagine this is newly issued at the time as surely if it was an old one passed on the liner would have disintegrated? Do you also know Dave what forces issued Inspector helmets? I know Met, Northampton chief constable has been pictures in one and Sussex but no others. Thanks.

Hi,

The interior of the Mer.Pol. helmet is as shown in the below photo. The force used to buy the basic helmet shells (made of compressed felt) from Christy's of Stockport (long gone). They would then transfer the metalwork from the old helmet shell and then fit it to the new one. Hence the use of King's Crown helmet plates. As I said previously the helmets were worn by different men as and when required. For reasons of hygiene, paper skull caps were used on each occasion. You are right, its not too comfortable to wear and I can imagine trying to ride and control a horse while wearing one would be quite trying.    

DSCF1385 (2).JPG

With regard to Met.Pol. Inspectors helmets. I did at one time have an example but have long since parted with it. Interestingly I recall one being worn by a Chief Inspector who was standing in Westminster Hall during the Queen's lying in state. So, although I don't think they are issued any longer, they are obviously still in the possession of certain people who are still serving. It will be interesting to see if any of them get an airing during the forthcoming Coronation. 

Apart from the forces you mention, I think the BTP also issued them at one time. As for wear during public order situations, I don't think they were very popular. The distinctive appearance tended to mark the wearer out as a potential target, especially by stone throwers.

Dave. 

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

• Nick changed the title to British Police Headgear