Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Brian Wolfe

British Police Headgear (***MODERATORS' RECOMMENDED)

Mike,

Yes, a very long period of use. The same die (and design) is still used for the current helmet plate. The finish differs slightly and the divisions and numbers have been dropped and replaced with the letters "CP" (City Police) in gold anodised finish.

Dave.

It’s awfully hard, even for the most clever among us, to improve upon perfection. The City Police insignia is, in my not-so-humble opinion, one of the most beautiful police badges in the world. Why change? 

Mike

The RCMP is a very close second. We need a thread devoted to aesthetically beautiful police insignia. That should spark some fierce debates! :)

My late Fathers 1951 Peterborough Combined Police helmet and a Peterborough City Police Ceremonial Police helmet.

Pboro Combined Helmet.jpg

Pboro City Ceremonial Helmet.jpg

Very nice helmets and especially since they belonged to your father.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Regards

Brian

Talk about aesthetic beauty! The six-panel helmet has so much more subtle, but beautiful, character than any design that followed (in my humble opinion of course). Throw in a spike and those beautiful chin chain, and these helmets are works of art. 

Very nice helmets .....which I am assuming were Alan's at one time? Knew your dad well over a period of many years of collecting with a specific police collectors organisation. This is one of the nicest helmets in my collection. A helmet of an Inspector.

Glam officer helmet 1.jpg

The Inspectors helmet from the rear. The metal fittings are all silver plated.

glam officer helmet 2.jpg

Not police but worthy of inclusion on a military appreciation site. In my collection a rare officers rank helmet of the 4th Volunteer Battalion, South Wales Borderers. Very proud to have been able to acquire this helmet for my collection a few years ago.

DSCF5692%20(1).jpg

CeQRoAnWAAAt9Ew.jpg