News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

On 02/04/2023 at 21:33, Dave Wilkinson said:

In an attempt to generate some discussion of this subject I'm going to post some further images from my helmet collection. First up is a Liverpool City Police Chief Inspector's helmet. The gent who wore this helmet was the officer commanding the Liverpool City Police, Liverpool & Bootle Constabulary and Merseyside Police Mounted Department (up until circa. 1984). Just to clarify, although the plate has on it the King's Crown and the Liverpool City wording, the helmets continued to be worn by the mounted men on ceremonial occasions across the time period of the three forces through to 1983. They were expensive items for the force to buy and were only worn on two or three occasions each year. There was no personal issue. They were drawn from the Mounted Dept. Stores for the event and returned immediately after. This particular helmet was a "one off". It was the only one with chrome edging to the peak, and was  worn by the one and only Chief Inspector commanding the Dept. They were often seen being worn on "Grand National" day. 

In 1983, the whole of the "Liverpool City" stock of helmets were withdrawn and replaced by the current "Merseyside" badged version which continues in use to this day. That said, they are now seldom if ever worn. I will show the Merseyside current version in a later post.

Dave.  

DSCF1374 (2).JPG

DSCF1375 (2).JPG

Very Nice

This particular Merseyside Police ceremonial helmet replaced the "Liverpool City" version which we talked about previously. The change took place in circa.1983. Again supplied by Christy's of Stockport, the helmet shown is the version which is worn by Sergeants and Constables. There is a helmet which has chrome plated edging to the peak which is worn by the OIC of the mounted section. You will notice that the side "roses" are smaller than the previous issue, and it includes the current (ceremonial) version of the Merseyside Police helmet plate. A sign of the times is that the plumes are now made of a synthetic material whereas the old Liverpool City versions were made of real horse hair. Traditionally, the red plume is worn by mounted drummers.

Dave.   

DSCF1372 (2).JPG

DSCF1373 (2).JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

7 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

This particular Merseyside Police ceremonial helmet replaced the "Liverpool City" version which we talked about previously. The change took place in circa.1983. Again supplied by Christy's of Stockport, the helmet shown is the version which is worn by Sergeants and Constables. There is a helmet which has chrome plated edging to the peak which is worn by the OIC of the mounted section. You will notice that the side "roses" are smaller than the previous issue, and it includes the current (ceremonial) version of the Merseyside Police helmet plate. A sign of the times is that the plumes are now made of a synthetic material whereas the old Liverpool City versions were made of real horse hair. Traditionally, the red plume is worn by mounted drummers.

Dave.   

DSCF1372 (2).JPG

DSCF1373 (2).JPG

Not horrible by any means, however you can see the difference cant you in terms of becoming more and more cheapo. Ints interesting isnt it because I know Bernard Hogan Howe of the Met was seen on horseback when he was Commissioner and I think in the early 2000s when he served as Assistant Commissioner close to his time of heading Merseyside and he has been seen on horseback many times as well as a couple of Commanders at least. In fact there was some controversy about how much the Met spent on a bicorn spelling? hat for a DAC to wear on horseback some years ago which is on the net somewhere. Thanks for posting, very nice. Shame in some ways very few have mounted branch now and East Anglian forces seek support from the city for mututal aid where horses are required. Don't suppose you have a commissioners cap or any senior officers caps with braiding as would love to see any of those?

The photo below shows the uniform cap worn by Henry Riches who was the Chief Constable of Middlesbrough between 1902 and 1930 and a further image of Mr. Riches wearing the cap as part of his uniform. Not surprisingly, the cap is beginning to show its age, but is all there. It was manufactured by Try & Lilly Ltd., of Liverpool. That family run company still exists in Liverpool and is still making uniform headdress for the military and  police forces at home and overseas.

Dave 

DSCF1257 (2).JPG

DSCF1256 (2).JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

On 06/04/2023 at 19:38, Dave Wilkinson said:

Dave.   

DSCF1372 (2).JPG

DSCF1373 (2).JPG

I like it Thanks

On 06/04/2023 at 19:51, Dave Wilkinson said:

The photo below shows the uniform cap worn by Henry Riches who was the Chief Constable of Middlesbrough between 1902 and 1930 and a further image of Mr. Riches wearing the cap as part of his uniform. Not surprisingly, the cap is beginning to show its age, but is all there. It was manufactured by Try & Lilly Ltd., of Liverpool. That family run company still exists in Liverpool and is still making uniform headdress for the military and  police forces at home and overseas.

Dave 

DSCF1257 (2).JPG

DSCF1256 (2).JPG

Looks amazing thanks for sharing! It looks like it would fall apart at any moment with age though! Do you have to handle it with cotton gloves?

• Nick changed the title to British Police Headgear
    19 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

To-days contribution is a helmet worn into the 1930's by the Chief Constable of Grimsby. The metal fittings on the helmet, including the helmet plate are solid silver.

Dave.

DSCF1370 (2).JPG

DSCF1371 (2).JPG

Very nice

For to-days posting we pay a return visit to Merseyside, Liverpool to be specific. This one is a Superintendent's helmet from Liverpool City Police worn into the 1930's. Its unusual in that instead of having a familiar Tudor rose at each side of the helmet, Liverpool had their own custom design featuring a representation of the mythical Liver Bird on an eight pointed star. The Liver Bird appears on all Liverpool Police insignia. When worn as part of a headdress badge the bird always looks to the left. If the badge is worn as part of a pair, for example on the collar or epaulette, or as in this case part of a helmet side decoration, the bird always faces the front (neck) of the person wearing the item of clothing. So, in the case of this helmet, on the opposite side to that shown, the bird is facing in the opposite direction to the one you can see. There is a label inside showing the words "Supt........." but the surname has been unfortunately obliterated.

Dave.   

DSCF1366 (2).JPG

DSCF1367 (2).JPG

20 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

For to-days posting we pay a return visit to Merseyside, Liverpool to be specific. This one is a Superintendent's helmet from Liverpool City Police worn into the 1930's. Its unusual in that instead of having a familiar Tudor rose at each side of the helmet, Liverpool had their own custom design featuring a representation of the mythical Liver Bird on an eight pointed star. The Liver Bird appears on all Liverpool Police insignia. When worn as part of a headdress badge the bird always looks to the left. If the badge is worn as part of a pair, for example on the collar or epaulette, or as in this case part of a helmet side decoration, the bird always faces the front (neck) of the person wearing the item of clothing. So, in the case of this helmet, on the opposite side to that shown, the bird is facing in the opposite direction to the one you can see. There is a label inside showing the words "Supt........." but the surname has been unfortunately obliterated.

Dave.   

DSCF1366 (2).JPG

DSCF1367 (2).JPG

Both amazing pieces and thanks for sharing. Why did these senior officers have helmets rather than flat caps with braiding?

9 hours ago, I_♥_Police said:

Both amazing pieces and thanks for sharing. Why did these senior officers have helmets rather than flat caps with braiding?

There was a period (up to 1950's) when senior officers in some forces had a ceremonial uniform. This usually consisted of a helmet/bicorn hat and an up market braided tunic. For everyday wear their usual uniform and cap was utilised. The CC of Middlesbrough (whose cap I show) would have had an ornate helmet for wear on appropriate occasions also.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

13 minutes ago, Nick said:

Interesting that helmets were used as opposed to cocked hats as worn in the Metropolitan Police. 

Towards the tail end of the 1940's and into the early 1950's bi-corn hats replaced helmets for wear by some provincial Chief Constables others adopted a peaked cap with a silver embroidered band around (similar to the Middlesbrough CC cap shown previously). The Met. senior officers below Deputy Assistant Commissioner did wear ceremonial helmets with their No:- 1 dress. The last occasion they were worn was on Remembrance Day Nov. 1971. The Met. decided to abandon the wearing and issue of No:1s at that time. That said, DAC's and above did continue to wear their ceremonial dress with bi-corn hats. I think that Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe was the last to be seen wearing such costume when mounted on his horse in The Mall during the late Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. 

Dave.

Here is an unusual helmet from one of the former Welsh forces, the Anglesey Constabulary. Anglesey lost its independent force in 1950, when it amalgamated with the Caernarvonshire and Merionethshire Constabularies. The new combined force was named the Gwynedd Constabulary.

This helmet can be seen being worn in the group photograph which was taken in 1942. Those who are wearing the standard "Home Office" helmet with the black furniture are War Reserve Constables. Interestingly the "chain", appears to have been a purely decorative and not intended for wear as a chin strap. As can be seen a normal leather chin strap is provided for that purpose. 

Dave.

DSCF1364 (2).JPG

DSCF1365 (2).JPG

Anglesey Constabulary 1942 (2).jpg

2 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

Here is an unusual helmet from one of the former Welsh forces, the Anglesey Constabulary. Anglesey lost its independent force in 1950, when it amalgamated with the Caernarvonshire and Merionethshire Constabularies. The new combined force was named the Gwynedd Constabulary.

This helmet can be seen being worn in the group photograph which was taken in 1942. Those who are wearing the standard "Home Office" helmet with the black furniture are War Reserve Constables. Interestingly the "chain", appears to have been a purely decorative and not intended for wear as a chin strap. As can be seen a normal leather chin strap is provided for that purpose. 

Dave.

DSCF1364 (2).JPG

DSCF1365 (2).JPG

All

All look amazing. They are in great condition. I really like the old style plates where the centre of it is almost seperate you could say. Wish they were still like that. I know the Eastern region forces arent any more. Having said that, Herts still had the seperate centre held in by a pin up until fairly recently when I assume costs dictated it was cheaper just to make it all out of one 'sheet' if that makes sense.

I can't say I like a spike top or a rose really. In my opinion, I find the comb looks better.

43 minutes ago, I_♥_Police said:

All look amazing. They are in great condition. I really like the old style plates where the centre of it is almost seperate you could say. Wish they were still like that. I know the Eastern region forces arent any more. Having said that, Herts still had the seperate centre held in by a pin up until fairly recently when I assume costs dictated it was cheaper just to make it all out of one 'sheet' if that makes sense.

I can't say I like a spike top or a rose really. In my opinion, I find the comb looks better.

Great minds think alike! I too favour the combed helmet. If worn properly, and it invariably is not these days, it presents an imposing image which is hard to beat.

Dave. 

2 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

Great minds think alike! I too favour the combed helmet. If worn properly, and it invariably is not these days, it presents an imposing image which is hard to beat.

Dave. 

Indeed, it really has to be worn properly with the old thumb on the end of the nose pointing upwards to test it haha. Then again, have you seen some of the most recent generations of the custodian? No actual foam liner, literally just a harness very similiar believe it or not to one in a builders hat if that makes sense. The flat caps are not what they used to be either, not at all unfortunately.

54 minutes ago, I_♥_Police said:

Indeed, it really has to be worn properly with the old thumb on the end of the nose pointing upwards to test it haha. Then again, have you seen some of the most recent generations of the custodian? No actual foam liner, literally just a harness very similiar believe it or not to one in a builders hat if that makes sense. The flat caps are not what they used to be either, not at all unfortunately.

The really horrible helmets that have emerged in the last few years are those with a "Columbus" trade mark. The covering is a very strange dark blue colour which seems lighter than normal. The air vents on either side are very low down and the brim seems almost too flat. I think the parent company was Hobson & Sons. A few forces used them Herts. is one. Gibraltar is another. Oh, and I think Humberside did also. That said, I think they have stopped making them. Humberside seem to have scrapped their strange "squat" looking helmet and replaced it with a more conventional "rose" top version made by C.W.Headdress. So, the scrapping of the "Columbus" make is certainly a step in the right direction.

Dave. 

19 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

Dave.

DSCF1364 (2).JPG

DSCF1365 (2).JPG

Anglesey Constabulary 1942 (2).jpg

That is another gem and the photo is the cream on the top

On 14/04/2023 at 20:01, Dave Wilkinson said:

The really horrible helmets that have emerged in the last few years are those with a "Columbus" trade mark. The covering is a very strange dark blue colour which seems lighter than normal. The air vents on either side are very low down and the brim seems almost too flat. I think the parent company was Hobson & Sons. A few forces used them Herts. is one. Gibraltar is another. Oh, and I think Humberside did also. That said, I think they have stopped making them. Humberside seem to have scrapped their strange "squat" looking helmet and replaced it with a more conventional "rose" top version made by C.W.Headdress. So, the scrapping of the "Columbus" make is certainly a step in the right direction.

Dave. 

Its interesting with things like this isnt it because what makes this so good is that we know this is original, not a copy or a helmet of all different bits cobbled together. I really do wonder and would love to know its history, who owned it etc, the hands it passed through and I bet it would have a few stories to tell if it could talk, haha. If only it were like the sorting hat from Harry Potter.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting and unusual helmet as worn by Sergeants' and Constables' of the Preston County Borough Police. This is the last issue helmet and badge as worn in the final years of Preston's existence. the force ceased to exist on the 31st of March 1969. At the time of its demise it had a strength of 283.

The helmet badge was the first in the UK to include coloured enamelling as part of its finish.

Of cork construction and manufactured by Hobson & Sons Ltd., the helmet is of a pattern seldom found to-day.

Dave. 

DSCF1427 (2).JPG

DSCF1428 (2).JPG