News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Blandford Fire Brigade Long Service Medal

Good day,

I just found this Blandford Fire Brigade Long Service Medal with 4 bars spanning service from 1906 to 1936 named to Foreman F. Bellows. I don't know much about County Fire Brigade awards but found that Blandford is in Dorset, just wondering if anyone has any information about Fire Brigade medals or this particular Brigade. Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff - this is Blandford Forum in Dorset. Their leading family are the Bastards - always a source of schoolboy humour ! (Actually, it is pronounced BAAST-ARD ). Many of the smaller towns had Volunteer Brigades who served when required. This could well be one - and would account for the date bars. A lot of them still exist and do great service.

To find out more , I suggest you write to the : Town Clerk, Blandford Forum, Dorset. UK. I think they have a good museum and ask him to forward your letter. I'm sure they will still have the records.

That is excellent thank you for the information I will write them and and see what I can find, my Dad an I were looking on ancestry and found a few F. Bellows, one good match was an Iron Mongerer from Blandford Forum so that would explain the Volunteer Brigade.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

It is always good to see non-military Long Service Medals here on the GMIC.

At times we tend to forget all of the thousands and thousands of people who serve their communities usually with little to no recognition.

Many thanks for posting this interesting medal.

Regards

Brian