News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Just arrived from La Phalere in France, a Persian Order of the Lion and the Sun Commanders by Arthus Bertrand of Paris.

It is in its original red leather case bearing the emblem of the standing Qajar lion with sword in gold, with the maker's monogram in the interior of the case.

The quality of the European manufacture far surpasses that of my Persian made examples. Each of the separate green enamel rays has been "rivetted" to the medal, whereas the Persian examples simply had the rays affixed with water soluble vegetable gum.

The quality of the enamel painted Lion is also excellent, and very different to the characterful (if somewhat cartoony) Persian painted Lions.

Gavin

Edited by drclaw

Very nice Gavin! love.gif

I have never seen a Bertrand Lion Sun before so this is a rare and great looking pickup! The European made lion and suns are heads and tails above the Persian made ones in quality. Love the way each medallion of lion sun is so different and beautiful. Cases also seem to be rare! Great looking case.

beer.gif

Markus

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, what a great pick-up!

Both the medal and case are in perfect condition. And you're right, it's rare to find a Bertrand Lion and Sun, especially one in its original case.

Congratulations, Markus

:beer:

• 4 months later...

A Persian made order of Lion and Sun, 4th class, made by Faiz Allah. Appears to be an early piece form mid 1800's. Was told that Faiz Allah was a famous Persian miniature painter. I love the detail and skill shown in painting the lion and sun medallion.

Halley Lion and Sun Order, 4th class. Made by Halley at their first place of business, 143 Galerie de Valois, Palais-Royal (c. Napoleon III period). This establishes the manufacture of this medal in the 1852 to 1870 era. Halley was making orders in the mid to late 19th century and was succeeded by Octave Lasne.

I have been assembling a list of makers of the Lion and Sun Order and find it to be one of the largest list of makers for a single order. All the different makers give this Lion and Sun order a great variation of artistry and make it a joy to collect. If any one has seen other makers of this order not on my list please post info so the list is more complete.

Known makers of Persia Lion & Sun medal

European makers

Bertrand (Paris)

Boullanger (Paris)

Johann Schwerdtner (Austrian)

Chobillon (Paris)

Godet & Sohn (Berlin)

Halley (Paris)

Kretly (Paris)

Lasne Halley (French)

Lemaitre (French)

D. Ossipov (St. Petersburg)

Ozeretskij (Moscow)

Vinc Meyers Sohne (Austrian)

J.H.Werner ( German)

Wolfers (Belgian)

Persian makers

Faiz Allah

Saniolmamalek

Wow! Congratulations on your newest additions. The Faiz Allah is particularly attractive and rare. This is the first example I've seen.

It matches the craftsmanship of the European pieces. The later Persian examples are poorer cousins unfortunately.

Some of the names on the list of makers certainly raise an eyebrow although we shouldn't be surprised. Persia was front and centre of the Great Game and would have received its fair share of European visitors. What is unusual is the absence of any British makers given Britain was one of the key players.

• 1 month later...

Added this Russian made Persian Lion and Sun breast star, 2nd class to my collection. My first Lion & Sun with jewels. No maker marks but judging by the enamel work on Lion Sun appears to be Russian made.

"The small stars between the rays applied between 1856 and 1872. They were removed because of the confusion with the breast stars of Order of the Aghdas, which had been instituted in 1870. Thereafter the class was indicated by the number of rays, eight for the first class down to four for the fifth class." per James Hoard

Edited by Markus

Hi Westdie 911,

Thanks for posting your beautiful Gustave Wolfers lion and sun. Wolfers has one of the most beautifully painted medallions of all the lion suns. Wolfers was founded about 1880. All of the lion sun medallions are slightly different due to the different artists and hand painting. This is a Wolfers lion sun close up in my collection.

Edited by Markus

Hello Jens,

Do you know if the medal making company G.Wolfers is still around? Your example with recipient history is very rare! I couldn't find an end of business date for Wolfers in my resources. Also do you know of any Belgian medal dealers that may have stock in European made Lion and Sun medals? The European made Lion and Sun is a lot scarcer than the Persian made Lion and Sun.

Regards,

Markus