News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Hallo Markus,

The OMD maker WOLFERS do not exist any more, he stooped with the production around 1930. The name was “Maison Wolfers” and “ancienne Maison Wolfers” carried the name until the mid 1970’ies. The jewelers Wolfers are still active in Brussels, but this is an outer branch of the family clan.

Recent - Medal & Award Manufacturers - Belgium

Regards, Jens.

Wow my brother, I see that your collection is growing to be more beautiful everyday!!

Thank you for helping to preserve the History of Arabic Orders and Medals~

Congratulations on your recent acquisitions Jen and Markus!

Absolutely stunning and superb examples of the jewellers' craft. The prices of these also seem to be going up and up.

Gavin

• 2 weeks later...

A new arrival from Dorotheum auction house. 1st class Lion and Sun breast star with a "silber" mark on the back pin, suggesting it is German or Austrian maker. The tip of the star is missing but other than the tip damage appears to be in fine shape. The lion and sun medallion appears to be unique to this European maker. It also seems to be identical to Alex's earlier post of his breast star.

http://gmic.co.uk/in...+%2Blion+%2Bsun

Dorotheum auction house had another Lion and Sun knight class medal that appears to have the same medallion art of the 1st class Lion and Sun I just posted. They said there was a maker's plate on the back with " Dazeville, Paris". Has anyone ever heard of Dazeville maker? I have not been able to locate any information on such a maker.

Hi Markus

How you been?

Great lions!

Just want to show you this interesting commander badge that was recently sold at one european auction.

Non-european work. 19 century. Interesting form. Version for subjects.

Best regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

These are some of my favorite Lion and Sun order medals that are in the Spada Collection on exhibit in the Legion of Honor museum in Paris France. They are early 19th century examples loaded with jewels and very rare specimens.

Edited by Markus

Two more from the Spada collection on exhibit in the Legion of Honor Museum, Paris France. Beautiful workmanship and very rare! The second medal down borrows a lot of elements from the Turkish order medals.

Posting some additional eye candy from the Spada collection at Legion of Honor Museum Paris. Hey g1usxs, it is good to hear from you! You should also post some of your collection of Lion & Suns here! I would love to see them!

This is a 1st Class Lion and Sun breast star that was on Hermann Historica's Auction a little while back. My bid didn't even come close and it hammered at 2300 Euro. Appears to be a Russian made order with an extra large medallion of incredible beauty. French import mark of swan on back of the medal.

Edited by Markus

Thanks for posting these images Markus

That Herman Historica lion was a beauty and Russian examples appear only rarely from what I've seen.

I wonder if it had any maker marks on the reverse?

There is a symbol of swan on the back pin. Do you know which maker has a swan as its trade mark?

Hello, the "swan mark" is NOT a manufacturer mark. In France every item that is to be sold on auction has to be certified by the "Bureau de Garantie" = Office of Guaranty , in the meaning of guaranty of precious metal (like silver, or gold). The swan hallmark so often seen on pin or elswhere on Order means "items produced outside France that is guaranty to be silver".

The Orders & Medals produced in France,and which bear french hallmark for silver (boar head,then after "crab"),or gold (the head of an eagle) doesn't need to pass by the hand of the Guaranty Office to be auctioned. Before 1879 existed also the "Ceres Head" hallmark (Ceres is a greek good with winged helmet),that hallmark was struck on Orders,made in France of gold and silver, BUT for export (like the Orders of the Empire of Haiti 1849-59 and the Order of Radama II of Madagscar).

Actually I have seen breast star,or neck badge that were refused by the Office of Guaranty just because 1 knot (small ribbon ring between ribbon loop and badge) had been replaced by silvered cooper.

In UK or Germany it would never happened,but in France....it happen. They are very strict,should I say stupidly strict.

Emmanuel

Hello, the "swan mark" is NOT a manufacturer mark. In France every item that is to be sold on auction has to be certified by the "Bureau de Garantie" = Office of Guaranty , in the meaning of guaranty of precious metal (like silver, or gold). The swan hallmark so often seen on pin or elswhere on Order means "items produced outside France that is guaranty to be silver".

The Orders & Medals produced in France,and which bear french hallmark for silver (boar head,then after "crab"),or gold (the head of an eagle) doesn't need to pass by the hand of the Guaranty Office to be auctioned. Before 1879 existed also the "Ceres Head" hallmark (Ceres is a greek good with winged helmet),that hallmark was struck on Orders,made in France of gold and silver, BUT for export (like the Orders of the Empire of Haiti 1849-59 and the Order of Radama II of Madagscar).

Actually I have seen breast star,or neck badge that were refused by the Office of Guaranty just because 1 knot (small ribbon ring between ribbon loop and badge) had been replaced by silvered cooper.

In UK or Germany it would never happened,but in France....it happen. They are very strict,should I say stupidly strict.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel is certainly right and if I may add - this mark was used between 1864 an 1893. Also not only for "every item that is to be sold on auction", but also for every imported silverware.

Cheerio,

Nick

P.S. More precisely this mark was introduced on 1st June 1864 and was used on silver articles imported into France from countries without Customs Conventions. Its use was discontinued on 1st June 1893 as it was now stipulated that all imported gold and silver should comply with the same conditions as that was manufactured in France.

Edited by JapanX

Thanks G1USXS for posting that beauty. I did not see that one before and could see why that one went for over 5000 Euro! Hey and Congrats on your Hermann Historica winnings!

Emmanuel & Nick thanks so much for the info on swan marking. This really helps date the medal and adds to my knowledge base! Well at least we know it wasn't made in France. I still think the style looks like a Russian maker. Wow this is a fun thread!

Markus