News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Please welcome Ambassador in Badapest Mr. Marinkovich ;)

Wow this Ambassador Marinkovich has some incredible order medals! Really love the Serbian White Eagle, Russian St. Stanislav and the Order of Milosh the Great.

Thank you for sharing that image! Amazing decorations, especially Miloš :love:

Paja, short for Pavle, Marinković (Павле Маринковић 1866-1925) was one of the ministers who welcomed Mozaffar ad-Din Shah Qajar during his short visit in September 1900. My guess is that he was awarded during that visit.

I just have one small correction, on the back side of the picture is written that he was an ambassador in Bucharest.

Edited by paja

Stanislav Binički (Станислав Бинички 1872-1942) Serbian composer and conductor, most famous for his "March on the Drina" (Марш на Дрину).

Dated 14. II 1901.

attachicon.gif01.jpg

Thanks for sharing Paja. Very nice portrait! The Royal Serbian Crests artwork on the back of post card is also pure eye candy! Edited by Markus

Could anyone help me with finding some images of the 2nd Class Order of the Lion and Sun circa 1900? I know is that the the insignia of the 2nd Class of the Imperial Persian Order of the Lion and Sun was awarded to either Ernest Godwin Meade Swifte or Lathom Coddington Swifte (the records are unclear), who was at the time based in the Imperial Palace in Ispahan and was Equerry to the brother of the Shah of Persia. Another report says he (either Ernest of Lathom) was Equerry to the Shah's children - so there is a chance that both brothers were there at the same time. E G M Swifte received the order Feb 1900 (London Gazette 14 June 1901), and what I'm looking for is images of the order as at that date - I don't know if the insignia changed over the years.

Was the insignia just a breast badge or was it a neck badge also?

Many thanks

Was the insignia just a breast badge or was it a neck badge also?

Neck badge + breast star

Could anyone help me with finding some images of the 2nd Class Order of the Lion and Sun circa 1900?

Please see posts # 547-561 (pages 28-29 of this thread)

Best,

Nick

Could anyone help me with finding some images of the 2nd Class Order of the Lion and Sun circa 1900?

Peter,

Yes I agree with Nick, it was most likely a Persian made Saniolmamalek set consisting of 2nd class badge and neck ribbon medal.

The 2nd class breast star has two outer rings surrounding Lion and Sun image, the 1st class breast star has 3 rings surrounding Lion and Sun image.

Sometimes the recipient would have a European made Lion and Sun if they opted to purchase the order medal themselves and were just granted an award document without medals. If your recipients were awarded in Persia, they most likely received the Persian made example. This is another example of 2nd class breast star with a 3rd class neck badge.

Edited by Markus

Incredible! Thanks Nick and Markus, you've opened my eyes to an order I'd never really looked at in detail before. I believe it was awarded at the Palace is Ispahan along with a 'Firman?' and the court poet recited an ode in Swifte's honour.

Edited by Peter Mc

That was the best picture that I could find :) Among other things he was the museum director from 1869 until 1874.

Срећна Нова година!

Большое спасибо Ник!

С Рождеством Христовым!

:beer:

• 2 weeks later...