News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

This beautiful early piece is in the Morton & Eden Auction 90 November 23, 2017. Copy from the Morton & Eden auction listing: Iran, Persian Empire, The Royal Persian Order of the Lion and the Sun, Grand Cross Breast Star, Russian-made, circa 1850, by Andrews of St. Petersburg, in pierced silver, rose gold and enamels, of superb quality manufacture, backplate in pale gold engraved 'Andrews à St Petersbourg', with vertical brooch-pin for suspension (keeper now lacking), 88mm, extremely fine and an exceptional early Russian-made breast star. Presumed to have been commissioned by Keir Grant some years after his formal award of the Order of the Lion and the Sun for wear in conventional European style. This high-quality Russian-made badge by Andrews of St. Petersburg may well have been ordered in Paris. Awarded to Major-General Sir William Keir Grant K.C.B., G.C.H., 6th Dragoon Guards, late 15th Light Dragoons, who became Colonel of the Royal Scots Greys. William Keir (later Keir Grant) was one of just eight Officers of the 15th Light Dragoons to receive the spectacular gold Ehrenmedaille für Englische Kavalleriste, expressly awarded by the Holy Roman Emperor, Francis II, for gallantry in saving him personally from capture by French forces at the Battle of Villers-en-Cauchies (which is variously spelled in historical records), near Cambrai, in 1794. As it so happened, Keir Grant was later to become the recipient of an equally rare honour – the Collar and insignia of the Order of the Lion and Sun of Persia - for commanding a major British military expedition to the 'Pirate Coast' on the south-eastern Persian Gulf. Having roundly defeated the enemy and pacified the pirate stronghold of Ras al-Khaimah, Keir Grant succeeded in securing an agreement with a number of important tribal leaders, leading to an historic Peace Treaty of 1820 which heralded local truces and the foundation of the Trucial Sheikhdoms as well as the abolition of the Slave Trade in the area. Modifications to the Treaty and a full revision many decades later, in 1892, contributed to an enhanced British presence in the Southern Gulf and important new relationships with the Trucial Sheikhdoms. A loose British Protectorate was to last until the gaining of their independence on 2 December 1970, in turn leading to the creation of the United Arab Emirates.

5D474BEE-9A94-4EEF-9481-26B2AE6F7D3C.jpeg

Edited by Markus

Markus,

A beautiful star. Perhaps I am stretching my reading of the script, but it would appear to read (as far as I can interpret the slightly mangled script), "Nishan Qajr Fateh ??" ( Qajr Order of Victory ??). Or perhaps just wishful interpretation on my part!

Regards,

Owain

• 3 months later...
    On 24/01/2012 at 01:40, g1usxs said:

One more from an auction:

persian2.jpg

Saw one of these in the mid 90s after my grandfather passed away, my Dad, brother and I helped clear his house out, my Dad, sadly went onto sell one that looked very similar to this and a number of family medals from various generations.

I remember seeing the Lion and the Sun centre, obviously not knowing what it was and thinking to myself that it appeared to have been painted by a child.

I have been retracing the story of my those family members, one in particular whose medals were also sold on was my Great Uncle Capt Alfred William Will, former Seaforth TF, pte RAMC 60542 at the western front and later commissoned into the South Persian rifles, I could not find any Lion & Sun related gazette entries other than his MC and Temp, commision, Alfred was killed with a Sgt Albert William Coomber (Royal sussex Regmnt) they were killed by his own troops of the SPR in a Jihad on 25/5/1918 at Fort Khaneh-i-Zinian as a consequence of growing anti british sentiments.

I have asked my father where the order came from, he guessed it was maybe placed at the local war memorial by a Major Grant from Dornoch (known personally to Alfred), Maj Grant being one of the mounted section that later arrived to take back the Fort and hold those accountable and also recover the 2 bodies, could it be that this order was Maj Grants, Alfred's or one of the number of SPR mutineers who were later executed?.

There are apparently some files in the British Library regarding 13 or executions.

I have recently spoken to the son of Major Grant although he informs me that his father never talked about his time other than some funny stories, the Majors personal items from his time in service were all donated to the IWM.

I also rememer seeing a green ribbon with a strange rosette.

I think the OoTL&S I referred in the above post was most likely not awarded to Captain Robert Grant from Dornoch (1/5 Seaforth, Scinde Horse and later 41st Indian Cavalry and RFA I.A.O.R), but was more than likely awarded Lt Col George Patrick Grant, the reason I believe this was, having read the official histories and various despatches by Sir P Sykes, it would appear Lt Col Grant was charged with relieving the fort and had decided to attack the besieging forces at another location, tragically leaving the mutiny at the Fort to go ahead, could it be that his items were left out of a degree of personal guilt he placed on himself for not arriving in time?.

• 2 years later...
    On 12/03/2012 at 15:02, James Hoard said:

There are several photographs taken at the same time at slightly different angles.

I just also found this website article, but it is in Farsi. Nevertheless, if you scroll down to the bottom there is a colour scan of a part of a painting in the Golestan Palace of either Queen Elena of Italy or Queen Marie-Henriette of Belgium wearing the same circular star.

http://qajar.wordpress.com/tag/%D9%85%D8%AF%D8%A7%D9%84-%D9%88-%D9%86%D8%B4%D8%A7%D9%86/

You can use Google translate or Bing translate to translate the text, but neither are very good so there can be confusion about what the text actually says.

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

This is the translation of the notes under the pictures:

From right:

Nishan e Aghdas was given to Victor Emmanuel III ,the King of Italy.

Nishan e Aftan given to Jelena Petrović,Queen of Italy 

Sash Badge of Aftab

All given by Muzzafar Aldin Shah

The original Painting displayed at Golestan palace,Tehran.

0383-3.JPG

On 24/03/2012 at 12:40, Markus said:

This is an unknown Persian Qajar Officer. He has two lion and sun medals, one of them having the stars between the rays.

post-8734-0-69010600-1332553227.jpg

he is Samad Khan Momtaz os-Saltaneh, or Momtaz ol Saltaneh (

On 27/03/2012 at 09:02, Markus said:

Another Qajar portrait. In addition to a nice effigy medal, he has five order of Lion and Sun medals.

post-8734-0-35061900-1332799341.jpg

He is Sardar As'ad Bakhtiari (1856–1917) , also known as Haj Ali-Gholi Khan, Sardar Asad II

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Sardar_Assad

https://www.bakhtiarifamily.com/constitutionphotos.php

This medal belongs to Pahlavi Dynasty

On 08/08/2017 at 19:23, ramin7 said:

Hi All

Who can help with the text of this?

I know the top line aays: the celebrated royal jewellers. Then it says in tehran. I think the last word says Ibrahim. I am not sure whats in the middle?

Its a really well made iranian made badge and i think there maybe a gold ring around the central enamel. 

Havent seen iranian made ones of this quality much. Except one Markus showed looong time ago. 

SmartSelectImage_2017-08-08-10-20-33.png

The front

SmartSelectImage_2017-08-08-10-20-19.png

SmartSelectImage_2017-08-08-10-11-42.png

It says:

The Celebrated  Royal Goldsmith in Tehran work By Ibrahim

Zargar khaneh Mobarake Shahanshahi Dar tehran amale ebrahim

Please accept my apology for any mistakes or mistranslated contents. I have never done any translation like this before. It contains some words that no longer been used in current Farsi literature.

Before starting I should add in translating from Farsi to English we should consider that for some English words there may not an exact Farsi synonym and vice versa.

*In farsi Medal and Nishan means the same.

*In Qajar written documents most of the times government and country meant the same. Also royal court and country and Government were also considered the same. The Qajar Shah called themselves the shadow of God so everything, government, country, royal courts all were the same ,the Shah. He was the God and the country and the government. In Qajar Shah’s Firman It always mention we ( a respectful calling of the king) …..

https://qajar.wordpress.com/2008/03/14/neshan/

آغاز و شروع اعطاي نشان را به زمان فتحعلي شاه قاجار نسبت مي دهند ، در حقيقت در زمان فتحعلي شاه براي قدرداني از خدمات مردان ايراني و هم ايجاد روابط نيكو با اروپائيان نشاني به نام شير و خورشيد ساختند وبه كساني كه خدمتي شايسته مي كردند ، مي دادند . شايد انگيزه پيدايش چنين نشاني آمد و رفت ميان ايران و اروپا و پيروي از وضع اروپائيان بوده است .

گويا نخستين بار اين نشان به سرلشگر يرمولف روسي و همراهان كه از طرف الكساندر اول به ايران آمده بود داده شد . فتحعلي شاه قاجار مي گويد :

» اراده راسخ و ميل ملوكانه ما فعلا بر آن است كه براي تامين ترقي و تعالي مملكت عقد اتحاد و يگانگي را با ساير ممالك منعقد سازيم ….. بدين لحاظ يك قطعه نشان شير و خورشيد الماس به او مرحمت فرموديم كه زيب پيكر خود نموده در آتيه نيز از هيچ گونه خدمت در تشييد روابط صميمانه و تحكيم مناسبات دوستانه بين دولتين فرو گزار نكند ….. سنه 1232 هجري ماه شوال المكرم «[1]

The history of Bestowing Medals and Nishans in Iran

It is said the beginning of Bestowing nishan goes back to Fath Ali Shah Qajar. In fact in his time, to appreciate Iranian men services and to develop good relations with Europeans, Lion and Sun nishan was introduced and were given to people with remarkable services. Maybe the reason for such a Nishan was to follow Europeans after traveling began between Iran and Europe officials.

Perhaps the first Medal of Lion and Sun with diamonds was given to Major General Yermolov by Fath Ali Shah in Aug –Sep 1817.

در زمان محمد شاه قاجار و به سال 1252 ه.ق تنظيم نظامنا مه اي در باره اعطاء امتياز و نشان به انجام مي رسد به نام :

در مقدمه اين نظامنامه نوشته شده :

» پس براي هر دولتي نشاني ترتيب داده اند و دولت عليه ايران را هم نشان شيرو خورشيد متداول بوده است كه قريب سه هزار سال ، بل متجاوز از عهد زرتشت اين علامت بوده و سبب انتشار آن شايد اين باشد كه در دين زرتشت آفتاب را مظهركل و مربي عالم مي دانسته اند و به اين سبب او را پرستش مي كرده اند و چون به تجربه و امتحان كه قرار علم نجوم بر آن است چنين يافته اند كه كواكب سبعه سياره در بعضي از بروج خوشحالند و در بعضي بد حال به اين معني كه در بعضي از بروج اثر خوب به ارض و ساكنين ارض مي رسانند و در برخي اثر بد ، پس هر كوكب در هر برج كه خوشحال بوده و اثر نيك به اهل عالم بخشيده آن برج را بيت آن كوكب يا شرف آن كوكب ناميده اند و به اين علت برج اسد را هم بيت و شرف شمس قرار داده و نشان دولت عليه ايران را شمس در اسد كه شير و خورشيد باشد قرار داده اند ….. و هر كدام از نوكران دولت و چاكران حضرت كه خدمت نمايان ميكرده به اعطاء نشان شير و خورشيد سر افراز ميشد تا خدمت او بر خلق معلوم شود و ديگران نيز شوق خدمت حاصل كنند ولي در سنوات سالفه تا اواخر عهد خاقان مغفور اعطاء نشان به اسباب ديگر منوط گشت . بنا عليهذا راي جهان آراي شا هنشاه قرار بر اين گرفت كه اين قاعده تجديد و تحديد يابد و قانوني در اين خصوص مرقوم و براي هر نوع از خدمت تركيب معيني ساخته شود .» [2]

از اين گفتار چنين بر مي آيد كه همانگونه كه در پيشتر گفتيم نشان شيرو خورشيد در زمان فتحعليشاه هم معمول بوده است . ليكن در اين زمان خواسته اند آن را محدود و برايش شرايط و ضوابطي پيش بيني و درجات گوناگوني براي آن معين نمايند .

ديگر بار براي بر قراري نظم در درجه بندي و اعطاي نشان شيرو و خورشيد و امتيازات دولتي آئين نامه اي بنام قانون نامه امتيازات دولتي تهيه مي شود چنين دريافت مي گردد كه نخست در سال 1277 ه.ق نشان شير و خورشيد در سه درجه پيش بيني و به نام هاي نشان اقدس ، نشان قدس ، نشان مقدس ناميده شده بود و سپس به ترتيب نشان هاي دولت هاي ديگر نشان شير و خورشيد به پنج درجه تقسيم و شرايط اشخاص دريافت كننده ايراني و نمايند گي هاي سياسي و ديگران در سال 1311 ه.ق تعيين گرديده است .

In Mohammad Shah Qajar ear, in 1837 a manual was written to elaborate more details on Medals and Nishans.

The Honory Iran Government’s Nishan Manual:

In the introductory of this manual is written: There has been a Nishan  (medal ) for every government and for Iran the lion and sun been common for nearly 3000 years even beyond Zarathustra and the reason for it’s widespread use might be related to the importance of Sun in Zaratrinism. Also in astronomy the Lion (leo) was considered a good month for Eastern people so Sun and Lion were popular and common.( It’s a very technical piece with lots of astronomic phrases that I don’t understand). The Lion and Sun medal were given to anyone with remarkable service and loyalty to the King and his Court so people could know them and encouraged to do the same. At the end of fath Ali Shah the medal was given for some other reasons so Mohammad Shah decided to review and change the manual.

Again the manual amended so it becomes more formal and structured and became a new code of conduct called “The code of Governmental Privileges”. In 1867, Lion and Sun categorized in 3 classes: Nishan e Aaghdas, Nishan e Ghods and Nishan e Moghadas. In 1894, like other countries the Lion and Sun medals named in 5 classes with more details on who to be bestowed.

قواعد نشان شيرو خورشيد دولت عليه ايران ( مصوب 1277 ه.ق ) [3]

نشان اقدس ، نشان قدس ، نشان مقدس

§ نشان اقدس مكلل به الماس ، مخصوص وجود سلاطين است و حمايل آن برنگ آبي روشن است به ضميمه صورت تاج و جيقه در صدر آن .

§ نشان قدس ، مخصوص كساني است كه تالي مرتبه وزارت باشند حمايل آن نشان عبارت از حرير سبز است كه خط باريك سرخي از طرفين آن قرار داده باشند .

§ نشان مقدس ، مخصوص به حكام ولايات و امير توان و كساني كه يك درجه از وزراء كمتر باشند ، و حمايل آن عبارت از حرير سرخي است كه طرفين آن به خط باريك سبز باشد .

سپس در سال 1311 ه.ق براي نشان شير و خورشيد پنج درجه يا رتبه در نظر گرفتند .

قانون نامه امتيازات دولتي

نشان دولت عليه ايران منحصر به شير و خورشيد است به سه رتبت مختلف تا امروز معلوم و معين بوده است به شروط مشروحه خارج از اين شرط به احدي داده نمي شود .

اول :

§ نشان اقدس كه مكلل به الماس وطرز و اندازه آن مستغني از وصف است با حمايل آبي روشن مخصوص سلاطين است و به ديگري جز پادشاهان داده نمي شود .

§ نشان قدس كه يك طوق از نشان اقدس كوچكتر و روي آن دو پر دارد و حمايل آن آبي روشن است و از دو طرف با خط سفيد است به شاهنشاه زادگان و همچنين به سلاطين و شاهزادگان بزرگ خارجه و وزراي كبار كه داراي رتبه و خطاب اشرف هستند داده مي شود .شرط اهداي آن به خارجه مناسبات موقعي است و در داخله به شرط خدمت بزرگ و مهم كه افتخار و فوايد آن به دولت و مملكت مسلم باشد با موافقت اراده و امضاء همايوني .

§ نشان مقدس كه يك طوق از نشان قدس كوچكتر است و تاج آن به كلي پر ندارد و در وسط حمايل آبي روشن يك خط سفيد است فقط به شاهزادگان بزرگ و اكابر و وزراء داده ميشود . آنچه به خارجه باشد مناسبات موقع و وقت و هر چه در داخله باشد مشروط به صدور يك خدمت عمده فوق العاده و استحقاق صريح مسلم كه از آن خدمت انتفاع و فايده آشكار به دولت و مملكت عايد شده باشد . با تصويب جناب مستطاب صدر اعظم و موافقت اراده عليه همايوني اعطاء مي شود .

Rules of  Lion and King Nishan of The Great Iran Government, approved in 1861

-Nishan e Aghdas decorated with diamonds: For Kings only and has a light Blue sash and the Crown on top.

-Nishan e Ghods: for people who hold a ministerial position. Has a Silk green sash with a slim red lines on each side.

It’s smaller than Nishan e aghdas and there are only 2 feathers on the crown. The sash is light blue with 2 slim white lines on sides and is given to Qajar Royal family and also to foreign kings and royal family and prime ministers who hold royal titles (sir,Lord,etc). It’s given to foreigner is on occasions but for domestic there should be a significant service to king or country that is very important and approved by the king.

-Nishan e Moghaddas: for head of states and people who are just below ministers. It has a Silk red sash with a slim green lines in each side.

It’s smaller than Nishan e Ghods and there is no feather on the crown. It’s sash is Light blue with only one white line. Only given to royal members and head of states and ministers domestically. It’s given to foreigner is on occasions but for domestic there should be a significant service to king or country that is very important. The supreme minister (prime minister) to nominate the receiver and approved by the king.

دويم :

نشان شير و خورشيد با حمايل كه به ترتيب نشان هاي ساير دول به پنج مرتبه تقسيم و اشكال مواضع آن مرتب ومعلوم است .

§ رتبه اولي با حمايل است مخصوص اكابر و و زراء خارجه و سفرا و وزراء مختار و اشخاصي خواهد بود كه نايل مقام رفيع وزارت باشند .

§ رتبه ثانيه كه يك ستاره براي سينه و يك آويز براي گردن با بند سبز است ، به اشخاص محترم كه مقام وزارت مقيم و شارژ دافري و مراتب تاليه اين مقام را داشته باشند به اين معني كه يك درجه از پايه وزارت كمتر .

§ رتبه ثالثه كه آويزه گردن است به اشخاصي كه نايب اول سفارت و آنها كه مقام شارژ دافر باشند . همچنين ژنرال قونسول ها و بستگان نظامي يك سفارتخانه كه شخصا صاحب لياقت ياشند و كساني كه در اين خط باشند داده مي شود .

§ رتبه را بعه كه شبيه به رتبه سيم و با بند و تكمه سبز به سينه آويخته ميشود ، به كساني كه يك درجه از طبقات سابقين پائين باشند .

§ رتبه خامسه كه ستاره كوچك حلقه دار و با بند سبز به سينه مي آويزند و به طبقه آخرين سفارتخانه ها و تجار و مخترعين و ارباب صنعت داده ميشود . شرط اعطاي اين نشان ها به خارجه استحقاق اشخاص و مناسبات وقت است و جز به سفرا و وزراي مختار كه در دربار دولت عليه به ماموريت مي آيند و به اراده همايوني به آنها بلا شرط نشان داده مي شود و ديگران را از خارجه نشان داده خواهد شد با دقت در لياقت و دانستن كه از چه نشان خارجه و به چه رتبه دارند .

از اين نشان ها دو رتبه آن را ميتوان لدي الاقتضاء مكلل به الماس داد :

درجه اولي و درجه ثالثه به اين طور كه در حق دارندگان آنها مرحمتي از جانب دولت لازم ميشود و فوق مقامي كه دارند نشان ديگر مناسب نيست . در اين صورت نشان اول و سيم را مكلل به الماس مي دهند .

****Lion and Sun Medal with Sash/Ribbon/Rope:

Like other countries consists in 5 classes:

Frist Class: comes with Sash and only for Foreign Ministers, High commissioners, Ambassadors and ministers

Second Class: is chest star and a neck pendant with green band, given to people just one step below the ministerial title and resident minister and Charge d'affaires title.

Third Class: Class: Is a Neck Pendant, given to 1st secretory of Embassy and who hold the Charge d'affaires title. Also military attaché and Consul General who considered to be of remarkable service. Also anyone at the same level of title.

Forth Class: is similar to 3rd class but is hang off chest with a small  green buttons/ribbon/rope ,given to all with one degree title lower that 3rd class.

Fifth Class: is a small star hanging off a ring and to be attached to chest with a small green ribbon/rope. Is given to rest of Embassy officers whom not mentioned above (lower title), businessmen and inventors and craftsmen of high importance. The condition of this medal to foreigner is to be proved of their worthiness and depending on the current relations between both countries. It’s not only given to ministers or high commissioners who attend the Qajar court but also any  foreign delegates who attend the Qajar court knowing their official titles and importance.

Of these Medals only 2 of them can be given decorated with diamonds, the First and the Third Class. To whom the Shah want to bestow a medal but don’t deserve the higher medals ( like Nishan e Moghaddas).

سيم :

نشان هاي شير و خورشيد كه به ترتيب مناصب نظامي از امير توماني الي ياوري با حمايل هاي مختلفه الوان و ضع و معمول بوده است ، با اين كه در ترتيبات عموميه نظاير ندارد و مرتبه نشان را به درجه منصب هيچگونه مناسبتي نيست چون سلفا در دولت عليه متداول شده است منسوخ نمي شود ، ليكن شرط نيل به اين نشان ها آنچه اهالي نظامند در قوانين نظامي معين شده است و آنها كه خارج از صف قشوني هستند بايد استحقاق آنها و مناسبت اعطاي نشان در مجلس وزراء معلوم و دلائل و موجبات آن يعني ضرورت دادن نشان به آن شخص با تصويب جناب مستطاب اشرف صدر اعظم و تصديق مجلس وزراء به عرض حضور همايون برسد و اراده عليه به امضاي آن صادر گردد .

****Lion and Sun Medal

Are given to military personals. Like Major generals to Officers with different types of sash/Rope/ribbon. Although in general should not be awarded to civilians but as it was done by previous Shahs, can be given on exceptional circumstance that the cabinet or minister in chief consider and to be approved by Shah. The medals can be given to any military ranks and is not dependant to the receivers’ military rank. Only the importance of their services to be considered.

چهارم :

نشان تمثال همايون كه از عمليات جليله سلطنتي و به تفاوت قطع و اندازه سه درجه مرتب شده است . از اينكه علامت مرحمت شخص همايوني است مطلقا اعطاي آن به اراده ملوكانه موقوف است ، فقط درجه اهليت و استحقاق نيل اين عطيت را از صدارت عظمي و مجلس وزرا سوال خواهد شد .

انفيه دان موشح بصورت همايون نيز در حكم تمثال همايون است . جز اينكه به اشخاصي داده ميشود كه نشان نمي آويزند . مثل علما ء يا وزراء و بزرگان انگليس و امريكاي شمالي يا كساني كه لياقت تمثال همايون ندارند مثل تجار بزرگ و معارف اهل قلم و صنعت خارجه كه نخواهند نشان دولتي بد هند .

****The Medal Temssaal-e Homaayooni (Imperial Portrait)

is given in 3 sizes and classes. It’s a personal gift from Shah and only he decides to award it. Shah may ask the cabinet or chief minister about the importance of the receiver. Snuff box decorated with his majesty’s picture is considered the same. It’s not only given to people who don’t hang medals like religious clerics but also people who do not deserve the pendant like artists, Craftsmen, businessmen and who don’t deserve an official medal.

شمسه مرصع كه از البسه خاص و تن پوش همايون و خلاع ديگر داده ميشود از امتيازات دولت است و فقط به اشخاصي داده ميشود كه به رتبه وزارت يا تالي اين مقام نايل شده باشند و در مورد ظهور خدمتي در داخله و خارجه به تصديق صدارت عظمي و مجلس وزراء مستوجب شوند . درجات آن چهاراست :

§ اول شمسه بزرگ با شرابه مرواريد .

§ دويم شمسه بزرگ بي شرابه .

§ سيم شمسه متوسط بي شرابه .

§ چهارم شمسه كوچك بي شرابه .

Embroidery decorated with precious stones. Is a garment given by cabinet to ministers or similar title holders for a distinctive service inside or outside the country. To be approved by cabinet or chief minister. It comes in 4 forms:

1-Big Embroidery with Pearl fringe

2-Big embroidery with no fringe

3-Medium embroidery

4-Small embroidery

Pen case or tassel (like to hold a paper or firman) decorated with precious stones only given by Shah’s will and only given to chief ministers.

Swords, Sticks,Rings, Militry signs and ranks,Khanjar,gold,silver and copper medals.......

(Didn't translate this part)

اختراع لفظ جديد بكلي موقوف است .

Inventing any new medals,nishan,titles is forbidden.

قدر مسلم اين است كه اين نشان آفتاب از ابداعات زمان ناصري است ، اين نكته را از روزنامه خاطرات سفر اول فرنگستان ناصرالدين شاه قاجار باز مي شناسيم ،  ناصرالدين شاه در سفر اول فرنگ خود در روز دوشنبه 21 ربيع الثاني 1290 ه.ق ( ص 137 از سفرنامه اول ) در ديداري كه با همسر پادشاه بلژيك داشته اينگونه آورده :
    » … آهسته با كالسكه رفتيم تا رسيديم به عمارت . ملكه آنجا بود، استقبال كرد ، نشان اختراعي (آفتاب ) زنانه را به ملكه داديم ، با حمايل بسيار مشعوف شد ، به خود زد .»
    وي همچنين در ديداري كه به تاريخ جمعه 25 ربيع الثاني 1290 ه.ق با ملكه ويكتوريا داشته از دادن نشان و حمايل اختراعي آفتاب مكلل به الماس به ملكه ياد كرده است . ( ص 147 تا 150 از سفر نامه اول )

مظفرالدين شاه در خاطرات روز پنج شنبه 13 صفر 1320 ه.ق در رم  :
    » صبح از خواب بيدار شديم نماز و تعقيبات را خوانده و ثناي خدا را بجاي آورديم بعد از صرف چائي جناب اشرف اتابك اعظم شرفياب شده مطالبي كه داشت بعرض رسانيد و قدري صحبت فرموديم لباس نظامي پوشيده حاضر شديم كه بايد امروز قبل از نهار دو ساعت بظهر مانده بميدان مشق براي سان قشون برويم اول پادشاه بمنزل ما آمده قدري نشسته با هم صحبت كرديم جناب اشرف اتابك اعظم هم بود نشان اقدس بايشان داده جلوتر از ما پادشاه بميدان مشق رفتند قدري كه گذشت ملكه آمده بايشان هم قدري صحبت نموده نشان آفتاب هم بايشان داديم .» 

For Sure Nishan e Aftab is one of Nasir Aldin Shah’s creations. In his first travel diary to Europe he mentioned: on 18 June 1873 he wrote: Very slowly by a carriage went to the castle where the Queen welcomed us. Gave her an Aftab Nishan which she liked a lot and hung on herself.

Also in a meeting with Queen Victoria on 22 June 1873, he mentioned of given her the Nishan and Sash of Aftab decorated with diamonds.

Muzaffar Aldin Shah wrote in his memoir dated 22 may 1902:

Woke up in the morning, did my prayers(namaz/salat).After morning tea, His excellency “Atabak Aazam-Amin al Alsotan” (Iran’s chief minister/) attended and discussed some matters…Wore my Military garment as should attend a military parade two hours before midday. King came to our residence and we sat together and had a little talk.”Atabak Aazam” was there too. Gave king the Nishan e Aghdas who left earlier to attend the parade. After a while queen also came and after a short talk gave her a Nishan e Aftab.

Thank you, Dr. Kolahdooz  for these extremely valuable original documents and especially for your translations!!

Edited by 922F
    splcheck

On 25/12/2011 at 08:14, Markus said:

Added this Russian made Persian Lion and Sun breast star, 2nd class to my collection. My first Lion & Sun with jewels. No maker marks but judging by the enamel work on Lion Sun appears to be Russian made.

"The small stars between the rays applied between 1856 and 1872. They were removed because of the confusion with the breast stars of Order of the Aghdas, which had been instituted in 1870. Thereafter the class was indicated by the number of rays, eight for the first class down to four for the fifth class." per James Hoard

post-8734-0-00134500-1324761274.jpg

Have you seen this medal in 1st class? Even without stones?

I mean any 1st class with star between rays?

If yes, please share a picture.

Great info, Ali.

Regarding this order 

6 hours ago, Dr Ali Kolahdooz said:

Is this a Qajar medal as it claims?And the title?

Screenshot_20200514-173406_Gallery.jpg

we have an old thread 

Any idea why there is no well known lion and sun on this medal???

20200514_171439.jpg

20200514_171452.jpg

20200514_171503.jpg

Because this is not a very authentic piece. ;) 

The base of the star is from the  lion and sun order but the central medallion belong to Aftab order https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Aftab

20200513_192647.jpg

20200513_192725.jpg

This one is authentic but the class but I am not sure about the class. 

For identification of the actual classes of such stars we need original statues of the order from different time periods.

Do you have an access to them? 

Best,

Nick

9 hours ago, JapanX said:

Great info, Ali.

Regarding this order 

we have an old thread 

Because this is not a very authentic piece. ;) 

The base of the star is from the  lion and sun order but the central medallion belong to Aftab order https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Aftab

This one is authentic but the class but I am not sure about the class. 

For identification of the actual classes of such stars we need original statues of the order from different time periods.

Do you have an access to them? 

Best,

Nick

Hi Japan X 

I have to very much disagree with you about the order of the Aftab. I think there are at least a couple of things that authenticate this medal.

1st at the back you can see the pin is very thin and sharp almost like a needle. Very unlike the masculine orders of the sun and lion. These sharp needle like pins are indicative of feminine orders of aftab. 

Also the rays and the shape of the medal are also very different from orders of sun and lion. The direction of the metal work and the very rounded edges. Its not set with stones but we know that not all orders of aftab were set woth stones.  I am not really sure why you would say its not authentic?! 

Hi Ramin

This is strange. Only two years ago you wrote 

On 25/03/2018 at 14:29, ramin7 said:

I was very surprised to come across this. Is this really an order of aftab? Never seen an example like this. Looks alot like an order of sun and lion. Anyone seen similar?

42 minutes ago, ramin7 said:

1st at the back you can see the pin is very thin and sharp almost like a needle. Very unlike the masculine orders of the sun and lion. These sharp needle like pins are indicative of feminine orders of aftab. 

I am afraid the pin also looks like later replacement.

7.jpg.d1e1932a235e8e0f799a510a4fa3853a.jpg

4.jpg.9007da90c6197a17f2bf0df8bb726423.jpg

+  it is too short 

8.jpg.b31842c7b8ff357627555b3bcc853b77.jpg

All breast stars of Aftab order have stable design features.

817858559_8(2).jpg.2475aaafed828f7d0e2bebd63881cb58.jpg

Even unique breast star without stones from Spada collection.

6.jpg.c5c7381a469865be081d7fd0379019de.jpg

Edited by JapanX

58 minutes ago, ramin7 said:

Also the rays and the shape of the medal are also very different from orders of sun and lion. 

This is for example rays at badges that was made by Ibrahim workshop.

4 (1).jpg

5.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr Ali Kolahdooz said:

Any comment on this Nick?

Sorry Ali, I don`t recall seeing eight ray breasts stars with stars between the rays.

Edited by JapanX

Raman7,  Nick beat me here.  Looks like the pin was indeed replaced.  A few Lion & Sun red ray stars imaged in this thread have the less angular or rounded silver star ray configuration as well.