News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

This is a maker of the Lion and Sun you do not see too often, Chobillon. This French firm was established sometime before 1895. Other order medals they made include: the Dannebrog star, Madagascar orders, French Legion of Honor Order and some Venezuelan orders.

The back of the order is with the maker's name plate. The address listed is 16 Rue Croix de Petits Champs, an address that was first recorded in 1896. By 1912 Chobillon moved to 189 Galerie de Valois in the Palais Royal, thus making the manufacturing of this medal 1896-1911 time frame.

Edited by Markus

I was curious as to what a genuine diamond and emerald Lion and Sun medal would sell for since the rhinestone Lion and Suns demand such a hefty fee. Here is one that sold in Morton & Eden's #47 Auction.

*Persia, Order of the Lion and the Sun, Civil Division, diamond-set Grand Cross breast star, of European (probably French) manufacture, in gold and silver, with enamelled central lion and sun motif, the three circles around and rays all set with diamonds of varying sizes, eight angles between the rays each set with five emeralds; the reverse centre engraved in serif capitals Sir Alfred Newton. Bart.

1900, 96.4mm, with detachable centre, extremely fine and very rare £7,000-9,000

It hammered at 6,500 Pounds or U.S. $10,195 in current exchange rate.

Edited by Markus

These are the Winkler Auktionen House Lion and Sun breast stars with incredible beauty. I am very surprised that these went unsold at auction.

https://www.winkler-auktion.de/auktionen/auktion2/Nachlass_eines_hohen_persischen_osmanischen_Offiziers/Persien_Sonnen_und_Loewen_Orden_2.htm

This is a 1st class pre-1870 breast star for military, with no maker marks, screw type fastener back.

These are the Winkler Auktionen House Lion and Sun breast stars with incredible beauty. I am very surprised that these went unsold at auction.

https://www.winkler-auktion.de/auktionen/auktion2/Nachlass_eines_hohen_persischen_osmanischen_Offiziers/Persien_Sonnen_und_Loewen_Orden_2.htm

This is a 1st class pre-1870 breast star for military, with no maker marks, screw type fastener back. Close up of medallion. Based on the style of enamel painting I would say this is Persian made.

Well if this photo is indeed photo of recipient of these stars (actually I think we have both stars that are visible in this photo - star on the right is from post #209 and star from the left is from post #214), then

NON-PERSIANS WERE AWARDED WITH STANDING LION VERSION OF THE ORDER TOO!

At least back in 1880.

What we have here in one unstable order ;)

Maybe it's time to remember Sir John Wright words?

"...As the years went by, variations appeared in the design of the lion and the sun emblem... The lion couchant sometimes stands; sometimes he faces sideways both left and right, sometimes he is full-faced; sometimes his tail is down, sometime up; he also appears flourishing with a sword in his right paw..."

Thanks for finding and posting this photo mate! :beer:

Cheers,

Nick

Well if this photo is indeed photo of recipient of these stars (actually I think we have both stars that are visible in this photo - star on the right is from post #209 and star from the left is from post #214), then

NON-PERSIANS WERE AWARDED WITH STANDING LION VERSION OF THE ORDER TOO!

At least back in 1880.

What we have here in one unstable order ;)

Maybe it's time to remember Sir John Wright words?

"...As the years went by, variations appeared in the design of the lion and the sun emblem... The lion couchant sometimes stands; sometimes he faces sideways both left and right, sometimes he is full-faced; sometimes his tail is down, sometime up; he also appears flourishing with a sword in his right paw..."

Thanks for finding and posting this photo mate! :beer:

Cheers,

Nick

You are so right about it being the wild wild east and everything went on! LOL!

Markus