News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Check out this Gent! ;)

Very nice! I like his collection of medals and now see why collectors have so many beat up medals, thanks to wearing them like this guy, clanging together around his neck! The photographers sure did have elaborate coat of arms back then!

A jeweled Russian made 3rd class Lion and Sun. I would have mistaken the medallion painting for a Persian made one.

Russian hallmarks on the back.

Edited by Markus

ПВ stands for Pavel Vasilyev ;)

Thanks Professor Nick! Now I can add this to my ever expanding list of Persian Lion and Sun makers! I suspect we have a long way to go on Russian makers of the Lion and Sun.

A beautiful Halley made Lion and Sun 1st class breast star with a Military style lion. The address on the nameplate 143 Galerie de Valois, Palais Royal is the first address for Halley placing this Breast Star being made during the reign of Napoleon III, 1860-1870 range.

Edited by Markus

A Lemaitre made 2nd class breast star with stars affixed between the rays. This was an earlier style breast star and later the stars between the rays were discontinued. Lemaitre changed to the 40 Rue Coquilliere address listed on the name plate in 1870.

Edited by Markus

Another Early Lemaitre 2nd class Lion and Sun breast star without nameplate, but it does have French Boar mark and a Lemaitre punch mark on the pin. Lemaitre also made their medals for Boullanger and I have identical style Lion paintings with the Boullanger nameplate affixed.

Congratulations Markus! These are rare and extraordinarily beautiful pieces.

The quality of the enamel painting make these true works of art. Something which can't be said for the later Persian made insignia.

Thanks for sharing these.

• 4 weeks later...

A very interesting set of miniatures with the Lion and Sun can be seen in the book "Serbian and Yugoslavian Orders and Decorations from 1859 to 1941" on page 549.

They are mounted on a silver gilt chain which belonged to Dušan Spasić (Душан Спасић) who was also one of the ministers who welcomed Mozaffar ad-Din Shah Qajar during his visit in September 1900.

Photography from the collection of the Museum of Applied Art. I am not sure but the star next to Order of Medjidie could perhaps be it.

This photo was a gift of the Minister of National Economy Spasić to his friend general Milivoj Nikolajević (Миливој Николајевић) who took part in welcoming the Shah as well. So Nikolajević could also be one of the Serbs who received this order. The rest of delegation consisted of Nastas Antonović - Minister of Justice (Настас Антоновић), Pavle Marinković - Minister of Education (Павле Маринковић, posts #872-877) and Pavle Bošković - Head of the Military Academy (Павле Бошковић). I tired to find photos of the rest of them with decorations but had no luck.

Edited by paja

Domestic decorations:

-Order of the Cross of Takovo 1st class

-Order of Miloš the Great 3rd class

-Order of the White Eagle 4th or 5th class

-Commemorative Medal of the St. Andrew's Assembly 1858-1898 (miniature of this medal is on the chain)

-Commemorative Medal of the 1885-1886 War

Foreign decorations:

-Legion of Honor 2nd class

-Order of Medjidie

-Order of the Lion and Sun (?)

The chain also consists of these eight decorations.

Thanks Radmilo! Nice portraits. It certainly is fantastic that you have a direct connection with your Grandfather serving in the Serbian military with honors. The miniature set in the book certainly is nice with beautiful Serbian orders and the Persian L&S. Set by CF Rothe was of the highest quality.

Edited by Markus

ПВ stands for Pavel Vasilyev ;)

A little correction :whistle:

As for now I think it will be better to refer to this maker simply as PV.

Why?

Because Peter (not Pavel) Vasilyev workshop was located in Moscow (just checked and double checked it) and second mark belongs to St.Petersburg ;)

Thank you gentlemen :beer: Unfortunately this is the only photo of him in our family.

And thank you Markus for posting that image, perhaps it would not be a bad idea to post it in the Nick's topic about miniatures as well :)

Considering that you have the book I guess that you must have noticed very nice Serbian diplomat's medal bar with L&S, page 504. in my copy.

• 1 month later...