News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A few WWII Campaign Medal Claps - Original?

Good morning/afternoon/evening!

I've recently purchased a few WWII clasps and would welcome some opinions on whether they are genuine or not. They look pretty good to me. I paid on average about £6 each for them, so no big deal if the are repo.

Thanks for your opinions!

Tim

xmtr9v.jpg

Hi - Kano. Welcome to GMIC - I am sorry no-one has answered your question. Sometimes it is very hard to tell from a photograph. Looking at them I must say that I have a few doubts - nothing definite, just a feeling. They are turning bars out today as some 'collectors' like to add them to their groups. Using them to replace a missing one shouldn't present any problems.

Hello Kano,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't really know much about WWII militaria and usually go by the holes in the clasp for sewing to the ribbon. If they're tiny, neatly packed away in each corner and don't have any burr on the reverse then chances are you have a good copy or an original but, as my answer isn't really much help you should have a look at this page http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/hartleyi/bobclasp.htm

Although it's mainly about the rare Battle of Britain clasp there are others shown too, one of them being the Pacific clasp.

Tony

Thanks for the replies. Yes it's quite difficult to establish whether these are original or not. Tony - I've looked that link and reproduction ones seem to either have poor holes, incorrect type faces or wrong letter spacing. In those respects, the ones I have look good. Also I've just noticed on the Burma clasp you can see slight discolouration where the cotton thread would go, which is encouraging.

I think they're either genuine or very good reproductions.