News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LW Pilot Badges in Aluminum - Triple Crown

Thanks, once again, for the pix, Steve. What I'd give to have this piece in my hands for a couple of days!

Well, what to make of it! First Impression... I think we have a very important find. In short, I would say that you have IMME/JMME's attempt at a (pre-Juncker) 1st pattern PB. It compares well with the 2nd pattern birds that were produced in conjunction with Juncker's early 2nd pattern wreath.

Looking at a side by side comparison of the two badges, I can see why IMME then started using Junker parts...not particularly pretty!

Just a few early thoughts?. I'll be doing some serious study on this badge and will post some comparisons of the badges in due course.

Steve, if at all possible, could you let me have some dimensions? height and width of wreath, width of eagle (wig tip to wing tip).

In the meantime, I?d be very interested to hear what the other members think. I bet Kurt will be interested in this one, seeing that he has one of the 2nd pattern examples!

Well, all I can say is, everyone had their chance to hold it at least for a few minutes (and to even purchase it!). A large number of my pilot badges were at the MAX. Only one collector asked to examine it. I've had it for years now, and one young collector (years ago) told me it was a very good reproduction, and I said "A reproduction of what?" Show me another! To date, this is the only IMME I've seen with this bird and wreath, only one in aluminum, and there are no reproduction of this badge floating around (yet!). Naturally people are hesitant and call it an ugly bird when they first see it, but after looking at it next to other first pattern birds, it has many of the same characteristics and fits nicely into the IMME evolution. The second pattern IMME has already been reproduced, and I've only seen one real second pattern pilot badge I trust (on Brian's Website). There was one other on WAF from an Italian pilot's estate.

Other people have called it an 'ugly goose' but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no doubt! Too many people fawn over Juncker LW badges, when if you study details and crispness, Assmann wins hands down (I believe you feel the same way too!!) on all their badges. To each, their own! I find the IMME bird beautiful! :cheers:

Just to be clear, there is no doubt in my mind that this is an early pattern IMME Pilots badge. Eagle, wing fletchings, wreath...all unique (although the wreath closely resembles Junckers wreath). You could say 1st pattern (and I'm comfortable saying that), but ALL IMME types need to be known to state this confidently.

My questions are:

Was this a production series, a limited series, or a singular prototype?

If a production series or a limited series, Where are the other IMME pilot badges like this one?

IF its a prototype, why mark it with the IMME mark?

Why use such oversized hardware for hinge and catch, which clearly deviates from other first pattern badges from other companies, whether made in aluminum or buntmetal? Or is the hardware a repair (which seems unlikely by the looks)?

Edited by Steve K.

Guest Brian von Etzel

It's my personal unsubstantiated opinion that early aluminum badges like this were very fragile and tended to break quickly and were discarded when newer badges like the Juncker tombaks were plentiful. Simple for me to say, impossible to prove, but the existence of repaired and unrepaired aluminum badges I think help make my case. As for the discarding, why not? Can't be worn, too fragile, broken...

Brian,

I think you are right. The aluminum badges would be breaking more often, and either being repaired or, more likely, replaced with stronger metal varieties.

But why hasn't another one of these "First" Pattern IMME badges surfaced? I guess given the fact that there has only been 2 or 3 legit IMME second pattern pilot badges shown throughout the 'electronic' community (those able and capable of Internet access), it would make sense that there would be fewer "First" pattern badges around.

Still, it would be nice to see another!

WOW! That's a tough one indeed! The eagle is truly like that on Brians' 2nd pattern example and the one from that Italian Bomber Pilots' estate. I really don't know what to think to be quite honest. I like the overall appearance of this badge, I really do. Again, like those before me, the hinge is a bit of a head scratcher. On all the 1st pattern alu badges by other manufacturers, their alu hinges were pretty much the same style / size/ shape as their buntmetall counterparts. A comparison can't be made here because of the lack of a 1st Pattern JMME anything. I really can't poo poo personally because there is really nothing to compare it to. The quality of it really looks to be top notch. Having an open mind here, I say it could be possible that this is a 'missing link' in JMMEs badge evolution. I would love to see another like it.

ERIC

Eric

I can agree with all of your statements. My photos do not due this badge justice.....if you were to have it in hand, I imagine it would take you about 10 seconds to realize that the badge is authentic.

The odd JMME eye that's seen typically on their RO/AG is seen here....another indication that it's part of the same family.

The large hing and clasp may be an attempt to strengthen the aluminum badges, as they certainly may have seen Assmann and Juncker hinges and clasps breaking too often. A larger hing and clasp gives more surface area for attachment, and thus a stronger product. This is just conjecture on my part.

Is there ANY other IMME/JMME LW qualification badges in ALUMINUM?

I must agree with everyone else that this looks good. The eagle is very similar to that on my IMME 'variant' , just slightly cruder. It surely looks like this was the first attempt and the eagle was refined to look like the pic I've attached. There is some debate about my badge , but there is little doubt when one is holding it in hand.

A full set of the IMME series is going to be difficult!

Nice badge! I'm jealous!

Best

Kurt

Eric and J Temple-West

Exactly! I too have never seen another LW qualification badge by IMME/JMME in aluminum.

So....We have a pilot badge in a form never seen before (by experienced LW collectors) using a material that was rarely used, and certainly not used by this company for other LW qualification badges (as we know to date), using odd hardware that fits no other maker, AND in near mint condition for such a fragile material!

This would send up one HUGE red flag for me!!! Either fake.......(which would be the conclusion that most people would make) or you would be holding one of the most elusive (read: RARE) LW pilot badges known in the collecting world!!

So...your challenge is to take all your experience...everything you know about details, construction, quality, etc., apply it here (or more aptly, apply those skills while holding the badge), and make your judgement on a karyotype of badge you have never seen before. I believe only the skilled collector will see that this badge is authentic and fits into the realm of 'war or pre-war production'.

Edited by Steve K.

Kurt

While I have not seen your badge completely, if it is original, like the one on Brian's website, then it is no 'variant', it's just an extremely rare badge.

You wrote >>>>>> ......just slightly cruder.......>>>>>>>

I will have to disagree with you here. I believe my badge is actually a better strike and more 'classic' features of a pre-war bird (i.e. pronounced curvature of the neck, more detailed feathers, highly detailed claws and legs....etc.).

You wrote >>>>>> ....Nice badge! I'm jealous! >>>>>>>

Thanks. I think its a nice badge too. But don't be jealous.....given the arguments that I illustrate, I'm leaning more towards the fact that this was a limited series and may not have seen much circulation.

Kindest Regards,

Steve

Edited by Steve K.

I was referring mainly to the face and talons on the eagle , as well as the wings which I realize now you may not have seen. This badge is in another thread , but I'll post more pics here now. I certainly did not mean to detract from your badge in any way , but I suspect you know that.

First is the eagle's left wing.

Best

Kurt