News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I bought this QSA but I have a feeling that all is not right.

1 I cannot find the name T Tyghe on the medal roll for Nesbitt Horse on the Anglo Boer War website.

2 There is no number on the rim of the medal.

3 The typeset on the rim is not the usual QSA style

4 I have a feeling that the medal may have been renamed. Look at the rim at the bottom of the medal.

Please look at the pictures and tell me what you think.

Your medal is engraved not impressed. I can't tell whether officially or unofficially from the photo.

It is certainly on the roll.

The recipient appears on the Nesbitt's Horse Roll signed at Redhouse on 28 August 1903 as entitled to the clasp SA1901. He is shown as Sergt. Tyghe T. (no number). The remarks column states "issue from 1/15367".

He appears again on the Roll signed at Redhouse on 20 July 1905 as entitled to the clasps CC and SA1901. He is shown as Sergt. Tyghe (no number). The issue of "M[edal] & cl[asps]. C & O" is noted (authorised on 17 April 1907 [sic]). The 'remarks' column notes "(603 J) Marshalls Hse".

He also appears on the Marshalls Horse Roll signed at Johannesburg on 19 May 1903 as entitled to the clasps CC and OFS. He is shown as 603 Tyghe J [sic]. The remarks column states "Nesbitt's Horse (Sergt. T.)" [sic].

Thank you very much for the quick response Archer.

Is it "normal" for a SGT to have the his name engraved? I always thought that that was reserved for officers only.

Would you suggest I keep this medal? I am able to return it to the seller.

The medal came with the CC and OFS bars.

Is there any reason why his medal would be engraved with Nesbitts Hse and not Marshalls Hse.

The renaming concerns me. I am not knowledgeable about these things and that is why I ask all these questions.

Thanks for your help so far.

Hi Len

In die land van die blindes is eenoog koning! I am not an expert on the QSA. But ...

(i) Engraved medals were given to "other ranks" in certain circumstances. However, medals to Colonials like Tyghe seem to have been impressed.

(ii) Depends on the price, I guess (like was it between R300-R500, or was it between R1300-R1500?). But if you're not 100% happy, return it and save yourself some heartache.

(iii) The original medal was issued off the Nesbitt's Horse Roll.

Hope this helps a little bit.

William

Edited by Archer

Guest Darrell

As mentiond above, yes, there were engraved medals. However, what the norm is for this particular outfit, I'll let the experts comment on that.

However, I am interested in what was asked: Officially or Unofficially "engraved"? I did not know there was such as thing as "officially" engraved. The term "officially" impressed may apply to various British medals over the years (Crimean Medal pops into mind), but not as per engraved as far as I know.

Maybe certain regiments had a style engraving that was specific to them, but not "officially" as per definition.

I did not know there was such as thing as "officially" engraved.

Some QSA's - most typically Medals to certain Officers - were issued engraved, not impressed. I would define that as "officially engraved." The engraving was carried out by the medal issuing authority and not at the whim of a regiment or individual.

I think this is an example where the original medal was lost, so the recipient had the name erased on another medal and had his own name engraved on it instead. This was a not uncommon circumstance with QSA's. Unless there was something special about the man behind the medal, I would return it and look for another to the unit that has not be tampered with.

Regards

Brett

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I have learned a lot from this experience and will be better able to assess the next purchase.

Incidentally, I was able to renegotiate with the seller and eventually aquired the medal at a much reduced price.

The fact that he is named on two different Medal rolls may prove to be interesting in the end even if the medal has been renamed.

Regards

Len