News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help needed

Rayjin

This is my grandfather in his R.A.O.B regalia, I never met as he died before I was born. The photo must have been taken around the time of WWII,

and my mother can remember seeing it, but he never talked about what he did.

What I need is, can anybody tell me what the insignia, chain and medal are and what they mean?

regina10.jpg

He lived in Plymouth, Devon.

Thank you in advance

Rayjin

Edited by Rayjin

This is my grandfather in his R.A.O.B regalia, I never met as he died before I was born. The photo must have been taken around the time of WWII,

and my mother can remember seeing it, but he never talked about what he did.

What I need is, can anybody tell me what the insignia, chain and medal are and what they mean?

regina10.jpg

He lived in Plymouth, Devon.

Thank you in advance

Rayjin

The 'cuff' looks to have the letter 'P', the other cuff would have the letter 'S'...signifying 'Sitting Primo' (in the Chair of his Lodge, the leader or head of his Lodge)holding the bible also indicates this.

Edited by ladybird

Should also add...The chain is his chain of office as 'sitting Primo', without the colour of the jewel ribbon can't say which it is.

There are 10 RAOB Lodges meeting in Plymouth (all in the same building)...You will probably glean more information from the right secretary who will be able to identify the chain to a specific lodge.

www.raobplymouth.co.uk/index2.html

Should also add...The chain is his chain of office as 'sitting Primo', without the colour of the jewel ribbon can't say which it is.

There are 10 RAOB Lodges meeting in Plymouth (all in the same building)...You will probably glean more information from the right secretary who will be able to identify the chain to a specific lodge.

www.raobplymouth.co.uk/index2.html

Thanks for your help ladybird, my mother had no idea of his status in the RAOB as she lost her mother at 14 and her father at 18.

Thanks again for your help.

Rayjin

• 2 years later...

The 'cuff' looks to have the letter 'P', the other cuff would have the letter 'S'...signifying 'Sitting Primo' (in the Chair of his Lodge, the leader or head of his Lodge)holding the bible also indicates this.

HI

this is incorrect

The 'P' on the cuff denotes a 'Primo' a 2nd degree in the order. He is not holding abible I will guess it is either a rulle book or a book by Bro Payne on the history of the order.

HI

He is not a Sitting Primo. If you look at both sides of the Collar you will see the letters W and P this is Worthy Primo (basically the same as Sitting Primo). Worth Primo / Sitting primo is basically the chairman of a Minor Lodge meeting and he holds the office for one month at a time.

The ribbon on the medal (known as a Jewel in the RAOB) will be blue. This medal is a second degree medal. The style of the medal is now a defunct style and is no longer in use. The 2nd degree is different now. However it is still blue in colour. The Cuffs and Apron are also 2nd degree. They would most probably have been presented to him when he was raised to 2nd degree. The chain collar would have belonged to the lodge adn was presented to the WP every month.

The style of this medal tells me that he was also member of the RAOB GLE (Grand Lodge of England) This is the largest of the RAOB banners

To be a Worthy Primo you will need to be at least a 2nd degree. Maybe this photo was taken as commorative photo to celebrate their first time in the chair

This is a link to the same jewel http://www.s119595638.websitehome.co.uk/gle__primo_2_130x280.jpg

RAOB GLE Plymouth is still active. There is a member now in my lodge who moved to Lincoln. Look at the website and contact the Provinicial Grand Primo, pass him the name of the person in the photo and any info you have. They will have access to every single Plymouth Lodge records in existance. They can tell you, date of initiation into the orderm which lodges they belonged to, attendances, degree dates etc etc. The GLE keeps some very detailed information on all members. If his lodge is still active its possible they are still using that collar today

Paul Richardson

RAOB GLE Lincoln

HI

I just want to point out it will not be a bible as one of our rules is no religion in lodges.
    If you discuss relgion you are find 1p. The cash is then put in fines bowls which eventually makes it way to charity,

because of this we frequently discuss religion mostly religious jokes just so that we can be find. LOL

Edited by poryu