News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nigerian admiral rank query

achern

Hi - Alf - did you ever establish an answer for those full admiral's shoulder boards ?

I am probably being facetitious here - but these two have a definite resemblence to the Nigerian African Grey parrot ! And why not - they produce a fortune every year in smuggled young. I appreciate that the answer will probably be a poor representation of an eagle - or, for Nigeria, a vulture. But I still think it's a parrot.....

Hope you are well and enjoying the sunshine in Singapore ? Mervyn

Mervyn, I am enjoying the sunshine, although on some days I wish it were not shining because the heat and humidity really gets to me.

I very nearly forgot all about the Admiral boards. I did take a good look at them, and there ARE small holes left from a previous GVIR cypher which some itchy-fingered chap removed and substituted the EIIRs.

I'll post more on the original thread so there is a follow-up.

Lawrence, thank you for your reply.

I had a sudden feeling of deja vu because somebody asked the same question years ago, and I gave him exactly the same reply as you gave me!

Actually, I wanted to know the difference between the red and the silver eagles.

The bird is surely a poor representation of the eagle, and I am surprised, because these boards were made in England by Toye, Kenning and Spencer, and by Gieves, all very fine producers of regalia.

Alf