News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Victory Medals

• Replies 95
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Chris

According to Mr. a. Laslo. in his book about the medals of the Victory of World War I (2nd Edition 1992), it is estimated about 700,000 approximately. is a common medal found with boxes in mint conditions, were originally manufactured in the Osaka Mint. (I am not aware of another Japanese manufacturer)

having other unofficial being rarer types, for example, manufactured in France.

His example is very good. primarily with the certificate!

Lambert

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

The finding of document groups, to go with the actual medals, is quite difficult when it comes to Japanese awards.

In a lot of cases these groups are split apart with the documents being sold separately to the medals themselves. It is quite a shame because they make such attractive complete groups once all the items are together.

One needs to be very circumspect when obtaining Japanese groups as you can never be sure if the documents you have are all the recipient was entitled to.

In the case of the group of documents that the linked post mentions, there were:

1914-15 Tsingtao War Dispatch Medal document (Dated November 7, 1915)
    1914-20 Siberia War Dispatch Medal document. (Dated December 15, 1919)
    1920 WW1 War Victory Medal document. (Dated December 15, 1919)

There is reference, on those documents, to the recipient also being awarded the fifth class of the Order of the Rising Sun or the Order of the Sacred Treasure. So in this particular case we know that there should be at least two more documents to the group to that recipient.

The effort to resurrect such a complete group can take a lot of time. This is also what makes it so much fun :D

Regards,
    Rob

It is so frustrating to see documents and medals separated from one another just to try to make more money. It just seem unethical in some sense, to me anyway.

Rob is right. In the case above, it'd be highly unusual that this recipient did not have a Rising Sun, or Sacred Treasure as well, and quite possibly other, either war or commemorative medals.

I'd be very suspect of any medal and document combination that is claimed to be a matched set - the only way to be 100% certain is to obtain them directly from a family - obviously difficult. Otherwise you are relying on the word of a seller, and believe me when I say I have seen my share of items end up on eBay as exactly this, when the items had distinctly different sources on Yahoo! Japan. I'm not saying all sellers are guilty of this, but buyer beware.

Hi to all, especially Rob and Jean-Michel

I never posted on this section but some of you know my website http://www.medailles1914-1918.fr/

I collect all WWI medals for a long time ago and I stand in this topic because I'm astonished by this group:

The finding of document groups, to go with the actual medals, is quite difficult when it comes to Japanese awards.

One needs to be very circumspect when obtaining Japanese groups as you can never be sure if the documents you have are all the recipient was entitled to.

In the case of the group of documents that the linked post mentions, there were:

1914-15 Tsingtao War Dispatch Medal document (Dated November 7, 1915)
    1914-20 Siberia War Dispatch Medal document. (Dated December 15, 1919)
    1920 WW1 War Victory Medal document. (Dated December 15, 1919)

Regards,
    Rob

Indeed, according to several authors, I though it was not possible to obtain 1914-1915 medal and 1914-1920 medal. If this veteran received these two medals, it's a "scoop". I hope to post more often...

Regards

Pierre-Yves

Hello Pierre

Welcome to our group Vics enthusiasts, we still have much to discover in this series.

I'ma big fan of your site is my greatest reference about the Great War medals ..Congratulations on your site. :)

Cheers
    Lambert

Hi to all, especially Rob and Jean-Michel

I never posted on this section but some of you know my website http://www.medailles1914-1918.fr/

I collect all WWI medals for a long time ago and I stand in this topic because I'm astonished by this group:

Indeed, according to several authors, I though it was not possible to obtain 1914-1915 medal and 1914-1920 medal. If this veteran received these two medals, it's a "scoop". I hope to post more often...

Regards

Pierre-Yves

Hello Pierre,

Welcome aboard !

In regards the Japanese War Medal 1914-15 and 1914-20 there is a clarification. As Rich has pointed out on his web-site, you could be awarded both medals, you just could then only wear one of them. Bill posted a link to his web-site at post # 42 of this thread.

Regards,

Rob

• 4 months later...
    • 5 months later...

More confusion caused by the fact that my edition of Laslo's book is the 1st edition--I was unaware until I started posting here that there was an "unofficial" Japanese version. I had been assuming that this was the official version, but I'm hoping someone can confirm that for me.

Apologies for the sudden flurry of posts in 6 different threads, but as I'm a beginner, I find the knowledge on this forum to be valuable and hope to make more informed decisions in the future. Thanks.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-16545-0-98725000-1387569702.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-16545-0-42623800-1387569716.jpg

Hello David,

More confusion caused by the fact that my edition of Laslo's book is the 1st edition--I was unaware until I started posting here that there was an "unofficial" Japanese version. I had been assuming that this was the official version, but I'm hoping someone can confirm that for me.

Apologies for the sudden flurry of posts in 6 different threads, but as I'm a beginner, I find the knowledge on this forum to be valuable and hope to make more informed decisions in the future. Thanks.

Yes; you have an official version. It has the barrel suspender and correct unblended ribbon.

I have posted some comparison pics of the official version next to the French made reproduction (which has a ball suspender) at #3 and #4 of this thread. They will clearly show the differences.

Regards,
    Rob

• 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...