Gentleman's Military Interest Club
RobW

Cuban Victory Medals

Thanks Lambert, what makes you say that?

Edited by davidck

The edges of Vic Cubana are not irregular like these. Could you get photos of the sides of the medal?

Photos like this:

598cb09b2e73f_(KGrHqR!h!E8gr7VEB6BPMd(u)8wQ60_3.jpg.b821c9db8530d387b9e31aad0f3d0cc7.jpg

Disregard the marks .. I want to see if the edges are regular

Lambert

I have a MV Cuba that I bought on Ebay.uk. Sold as a copy (in Copper) that exactly matches the one in your post, is the same mold, with the same defects.
look here. The right is mine.

598cb4ee4f19e_vicrpertocopy.jpg.f5140390703c734761db71511ef10cb7.jpg

Gah.  I had looked through the Michels book and found it to be indistinguishable from an unofficial type 2, but you're right in that the reverse appears to be the same misstrike as the one you have here.  At $75, it did not set me back nearly as much as a typical Cuban medal would, but maybe I'll still see if I can get it returned.  I have over 40 vics now, and this seems to be the first time I've been fooled.

Yes, 75.00 $  is very cheap for an original Vic Cuba, do not say that this could not happen because it happened to me, I acquired rare Vics with an excellent price. But it is good to be sure that it is really original or an original variant of the same era.

Here I rescued the advertisement and seller of my Cuban copy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COPY-of-full-size-CUBA-WWI-VICTORY-Medal-/282583134936?hash=item41cb4472d8:g:FSoAAOSwUKxYZRd6

"and this seems to be the first time I've been fooled. "

This sometimes happens, serves as learning.

Good luck! :cheers:

Lambert

Edited by lambert

On 8/11/2017 at 11:07, davidck said:

Gah.  I had looked through the Michels book and found it to be indistinguishable from an unofficial type 2, but you're right in that the reverse appears to be the same misstrike as the one you have here.  At $75, it did not set me back nearly as much as a typical Cuban medal would, but maybe I'll still see if I can get it returned.  I have over 40 vics now, and this seems to be the first time I've been fooled.

Hello David,

Notwithstanding that you are out of pocket some money, I would probably keep it as an education opportunity. Having modern reproductions to review in hand is as probaly as good as having the genuine example.

The sort of bronze coloured reproduction that is illustrated above are quite common an eminate from the UK. Most of the vic series have been so reproduced all in the same sort of base metal. In this particular example the reverse planchet die flaws are common across a range of Cuban reproductions so keeping one close by for reference is a good idea.

Regards,
Rob

Just acquired, this Cuban-made Victory medal by Vilardebo y Riera. On the first page of this thread, first and second post, there is a group of medals posted by RobW, showing another example of this variety. It is shiny gilt, with a thin planchet, the obverse striking is shallow without a background to the figure, while on the reverse the lettering at the top is hard against the rim. Jim Michel's book classifies this version as Unofficial Type 2.

oCqKiVl.jpg

Tn8A8GF.jpg

This one has a strange small suspension ring - possibly to go on a fob chain? I have sourced a replacement ring and a suitable ribbon to restore the medal.

All comments welcome.

Bill

Edited by Bilco
Photos

Believe me I got the real thing this time.  Unofficial type 2.

757F651F-3B87-475A-A07E-C3B45EECA5F5.jpeg

3C660CFB-A1BF-4AC2-8A0D-439B1FDBF7F1.jpeg

On 2/5/2018 at 04:34, davidck said:

Believe me I got the real thing this time.  Unofficial type 2.

757F651F-3B87-475A-A07E-C3B45EECA5F5.jpeg

Hello David,

A nice pick-up. I would recommend that you obtain some older French produced vic ribbon, as that would keep the piece correct to type and period.

Regards,
Rob