News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Czechoslovakian Victory Medals

Thanks for the comments eyeryone, it's nice to know the ribbon is a little different than standard. The opposite side of the ribbon is cleaner and therefore shows the colouring a little better.

Kev, I think I'll probably leave the brooch in it's grubby state, it looks much better in the hand than in the photo.

I'll post the conduct sheet for the Brit. VM soldier in the commonwealth forum over the weekend if anyone's interested in reading it.

Below is the cleaner side of the Czech ribbon.

Tony

• Replies 135
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

To all,

Here is a standard Czech Russian Legion trio with some well worn medals. I prefer to see a bit of wear on these medals as it indicates the recipient did actually wear them. It has two small eye hooks on the reverse for attaching the group to the uniform jacket.

Interesting items from this group include:

* No citations on the War Cross.

* No '4' shield (indicating the 4th Regiment) and a single linden leaf on Revolution Medal. This variety of Revolution Medal has a slightly wider tab where it attaches to the suspension ring, and does not have the more commonly seen 'AB' makers mark of Antoine Bourdel from Paris, on the obverse near the rear feet of the horse. This variety was produced between 1920-38.

Of note is that the single Linden leaf on the ribbon of the Revolution Medal is not correct as it was only authorised for the War Cross. Such single bronze linden leaf citations were for units at the Division level.

Recipients however who did not subsequently serve in the Armed forces post the war, did not necessarily follow the regulations so it is not altogether unusual to see such combinations.

* Official Czech vic with a very early version of the ribbon.

Regards,

Rob

post-7101-017240500 1285474727_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen some rather nice variations for sale lately, including the Belgian style medal with the letter "R" on the reverse and Czech style ribbon. Also, a version with the cylinder style suspension and original ribbon.

Thought I would add a couple more items tonight. First up, is another nice example of the official O.Spaniel version Czech Victory Medal. Here's one with the coarser style ribbon in near mint condition, including the small bar ribbon. Best conditioned one I've seen for sometime. :cheers:

Tim

post-548-091523100 1286771751_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim B

• 3 months later...

To all,

Last post for a bit as other issues intrude.

Here is a nice group to a member of the Czech Italian Legion that has seen varied service. The ribbons are a bit age faded on the front but are nice and vibrant on the reverse.

1. Revolution Medal with 3 regimental shields.

2. Official czech vic.

3. Italian war commemorative medal (S. Johnson variant).

* 31st & 33rd Regiments - Saw heavy action at the Doss Alto ridge action in September 1918.

* 33rd Regiment suffered heavy casualties at Santa Dona di Piave in the summer of 1918.

* 39th - Formed from all reconnaissance units of the 5 Regiments in Italy.

Regards,

Rob

post-7101-029385700 1294818099_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Victory Medal Czech.

Medal Type 2. Signature of the sculptor O. Cavalier on the obverse.

Manufacture of Kremnica Mincovňa.

Hello Lambert,

The designers mark in the case should be 'O. Spaniel' for Otakar Španiel, 1881-1955.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Thought I would bump this thread to the top as someone is having a hard time finding it.

Here's a quick comparison of the different types of ribbons often seen on the Czech Vic's. Starting left to right, I believe the two on the left are official period, the third is commonly seen with re-issues, and the example on the right has a more modern unnofficial pattern ribbon.

Hope this helps.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

This is my Checa Vic. I bought a few months after beginning my collection of MV.

Ribbon (unnofficial ?) has seen better days.

Medal Type 2. Signature of the sculptor O. Spaniel.

Manufacture of Kremnica Mincovňa.

DSCF3806.jpg

DSCF3805.jpg

Edited by lambert

• 3 months later...

To all,

As there appears to be little to no traffic in this area here is a relatively early and low numbered award certificate to a member of the Russian Legion. It was awarded on 4 July 1922. The certificate is slightly longer than my scanner hence the truncated ends.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 5 months later...

I wish I had an orginial document, but are very hard to find. :(

Lambert,

Have a look at ebay France. They seem to have a number of Czech items on a regular basis.

Regards,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

My latest acquisition - I think it's an Offical Type 2 with cylinder suspension:

CzechCyl1.jpg

Obverse

CzechCyl2.jpg

Reverse - I was interested to see Lambert's example in post #3, with what appears to be a worn guilt finish, as the reverse of mine shows faint traces of a similar finish.

It has the O. Spaniel incised name on the obverse, and measures 36mm diameter and 2.5 thickness. The ribbon looks Czech, but appears to be cobbled together from two different pattern pieces - they don't come out very well on the scanner.

Any comments welcome.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Good Example!

I will provide better images of my medal.

I bought in London (Ebay) for a price very pleasant, :)

The medal is Type 2, and finishing "golden" is well spent, of course, the darker bronze appear below, and the Ribbon has seen better days, though I have sought a replacement for her. It is a ribbon later, maybe 1945-48.

Your example is much better than my VIC, really enjoyed it.!

Regards

Lambert

Well, Lambert, your version has the barrel suspension, while mine is the cylindrical, so you need to get one of these too! http://www.medalsofwar.com/medal_details.php?mid=1483&lastpage=foreigncatlisting

Bill

I agree, my bid was covered very quickly. :cheeky:

Well, it's a very interesting item for the collection, but I think it deserves a note ..

Well. I do not think the configuration is possible.

• DOSS'ALTO (Legion of Czechoslovakia on the Italian front September 21, 1918)
    • Zborov (commemorates the creation of two regiments 6th and 7th who escaped the siege of the Austro-German forces in Ukraine)
    • SIBIR (commemorates the Czechoslovakian forces in Siberia)
    • PERONNE (He was quoted by V. Mericka recalls the struggle for this sector, the "Nazdar".)
    • ARGONNY (France 22 to 21 regiments and Terron Vouziers in September 1918)
    • and BACHMAC (commemorating the battle that gave the victory of the Czech Division (1st, 2nd Regiment, 3rd and 4th of Fusiliers) in July 1917.).

Lambert

Hi Lambert - these bars were meant to be worn on the Medal of the Revolution, and this site has a few more details, though not as detailed as your notes above http://www.gwpda.org...medl/czech.html

As you say, the combination is amazing - this must have been a very nimble fellow.

I see the medal was sold on eBay in 2007, but I don't know what the winning bid was then!

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Well, Lambert, your version has the barrel suspension, while mine is the cylindrical, so you need to get one of these too!

Bill

Hello Lambert & Bill,

The variety with the cylinder suspender is seen much less often than that of the barrel suspender.

Regards,

Rob