News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 month later...
    • Replies 155
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Jean-Michel!

No?

And Laszlo says "Type 2 Unique obverse and reverse. Has the name of the designer of the obverse," M.Pautot ", in incised letters on the obverse and the name of the designer of the reverse," LOMattei ", in raised letters on the reverse. "BRONZE" is impressed on edge.

Regards

Oliver

Hello Oliver,
    In his book Laslo describes a model "Pautot 'Mattéit," but I have already identified more than 10 different models!
    All inscriptions in setback are not embossed, they are models engraved .
    Soon I will make a presentation of different models.
    Regards
    Jean-Michel
    Edited by Jean-Michel

• 3 months later...

Hi Gents,

Reading through the thread on French vics on the FIM web site, I found a picture of a Morlon vic that did not have any makers marks on the reverse - no cornucopia or triangle and no BR. I have one that is very similar ....

morlonnomark03_zpsc5d48b73.jpg

Like the one on the FIM site, the obverse appears to have worn gilding, especially visible on the figure of Victory.

morlonnomark02_zps16539fe3.jpg

The reverse seems to have no obvious marks at the 6 o'lock - there are a couple of slightly brighter spots, but even under magnification ...

morlonnomark01_zpsd795f3ae.jpg

... there are no obvious marks, and a high-res scan doesn't show anything better ...

d3a9fa47-62b8-4568-8599-92abde70e82d_zps

So, is this a genuine markless version, or is it like the one in my post #68 on this thread?

Bill

Hi Gents,

Reading through the thread on French vics on the FIM web site, I found a picture of a Morlon vic that did not have any makers marks on the reverse - no cornucopia or triangle and no BR. I have one that is very similar ....

Like the one on the FIM site, the obverse appears to have worn gilding, especially visible on the figure of Victory.

The reverse seems to have no obvious marks at the 6 o'lock - there are a couple of slightly brighter spots, but even under magnification ...

... there are no obvious marks, and a high-res scan doesn't show anything better ...

So, is this a genuine markless version, or is it like the one in my post #68 on this thread?

Bill

Hello Bill,

There are examples of the Morlon model that do not have the cornucopia and BR mark on the reverse. They are not found that often.

Given that you have provided a very clear close-up of the reverse it does indeed appear that there are no corresponding marks. The roughness of the bottom part of the edge and reverse planchet does look a bit odd but that may be a result of the image and lighting.

It should be remembered that the Morlon model was produced in very significant numbers so it is not surprising that there is such a variety of manufacturers.

A nice pickup in good condition.

Regards,

Rob

• 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...

Got the Morlon version with triangle maker's mark (but no "BR") in the mail today. Got a great price on it too!

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-16545-0-77988200-1389203189.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-16545-0-07849300-1389203212.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-16545-0-89399200-1389203226.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I belive I have something a little unusual here. I got this on eBay, because I'd never seen a silvered French vic before. Realizing it may have been silvered much later, I figured it wasn't much of a risk for $25. This is the standard Morlon variety, and you can see the silvering has worn away in some places, revealing the bronze beneath. Has anyone else seen something like this or know why/when it may have been silvered?

I apologize for the picture quality...you may just have to take my word for it that it has a mainly silver coloration.

Edited by davidck

Hello David,

I belive I have something a little unusual here. I got this on eBay, because I'd never seen a silvered French vic before. Realizing it may have been silvered much later, I figured it wasn't much of a risk for $25. This is the standard Morlon variety, and you can see the silvering has worn away in some places, revealing the bronze beneath. Has anyone else seen something like this or know why/when it may have been silvered?

I apologize for the picture quality...you may just have to take my word for it that it has a mainly silver coloration.

I have seen silvered-bronze examples of the French vic before. As has been suggested elsewhere on this forum whether or not a medal was silvered, or even gilt finished may have defended on the funds of the person wanting to wear the medal. In addition there is also the French reissue type vic which has both a reddish-bronze finish as well as a shiny-gilt finish.

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW

• 3 months later...

Things are slow here lately, so here's my latest acquisition: a French official with triangle and BR marks on the reverse.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-16545-0-55638500-1400518060.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-16545-0-01076800-1400518105.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi Gents,

I've just acquired this modern reissue of the Official vic by Paris Mint, in its box:

francenew05-crop_zpsfc472d3e.jpg

Obverse

francenew06-crop_zpsd327e728.jpg

Reverse

The box is dark blue 'leather texture' with this label on the side:

francenew03-crop_zps67089d1c.jpg

The finish is very bright brassy/gold, and there is a clear Paris Mint cornucopia + BR on the reverse:

francenew07-crop_zps3be634c0.jpg

I have another Reissue which is much lighter bronze colour than the 1920s issue, but it's not shiny like this one. Any comments welcome.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents,

I've just acquired this modern reissue of the Official vic by Paris Mint, in its box:

francenew05-crop_zpsfc472d3e.jpg

Obverse

francenew06-crop_zpsd327e728.jpg

Reverse

The box is dark blue 'leather texture' with this label on the side:

francenew03-crop_zps67089d1c.jpg

The finish is very bright brassy/gold, and there is a clear Paris Mint cornucopia + BR on the reverse:

francenew07-crop_zps3be634c0.jpg

I have another Reissue which is much lighter bronze colour than the 1920s issue, but it's not shiny like this one. Any comments welcome.

Bill

Bill, Thanks for posting. I do not see this often with new editions.

I particularly do not like this "golden" bronzer, I prefer the color of brown patina..

Lambert