Gentleman's Military Interest Club

This grouping has the Rare Belgium / French Victory Medal + 4 other medals I will be posting on ebay 5/1/2015

This grouping was used in my book "World WAR I, Victory Medals

Military Medal, Croix De Guerre (War Cross) with star, Croix De Combatant given to all those who fought as front-line soldiers, WWI Commemorative Medal given to all of those who served and the Rare Victory medal. This medal is based on the Belgium design. The main reason I think this medal is found on both French and Belgium grouping, is the back is blank and could be engaged.

I wrote the book World War I, Victory medals published in 2014, and I guarantee this medal to be as stated, official and true. (downsizing).

$(KGrHqQOKjQE5,71U1U+BOdk8S(21g~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqQOKkYE5soU9QE(BOdk8m6y9!~~60_3.jpg

001.jpg

IMG_0822m smaller.jpg

Hi Gents,

My first purchase of 2016 - the Unofficial Type 2, but without the designers names on obverse and reverse ...

france%20unoff%20nosig_zpshzzjk7ww.jpg

It seems to be well made, some slight roughness, and in the hand there appears to be the remains of gilding around the design. There are no marks on the edge.

I think this is what French collectors call an 'artisanal' version.

Bill

Hi Jean-Michel,

The planchet is 35mm diameter and 3mm thickness.

Cordialement,

Bill

Oh well, if you want it that accurately! 35.5mm diameter and 2.7mm thickness measured at the 5 o'clock.

Cordialement,

Bill

12 hours ago, bryansk1959 said:

Hi.Your opinions please about these two medals and their ribbons.Many thanks.Alexander.

Hello Alexander,

Both the unofficial type 1 (first example) and unofficial type 2 (second example) that you have obtained are correct, and in good condition.  Of note is that there should be manufacturers marks and the word BRONZE stamped on the rims of the medals.  The unofficial type 2 does have a bit of verdigris on the obverse.  This can generally be removed with a soft brush but there are many and varied opinions on whether or not you should clean medals.

As far as the ribbons are concerned the ribbon on the unofficial type 1 is the correct French ribbon but the ribbon on the unofficial type 2 is actually Belgian ribbon (which is quite distinctive).  I would remove that ribbon and find another piece of French ribbon so that it is correct to type.

Regards,
Rob

Hello dear Rob. Thank you for the detailed response. According to the seller, there is a marks on the edge. Change the ribbon is not a problem.Best regards.Alexander.

Hi All,

I'm a new member on the forum and would be interested in your opinions on the below medal. I'm collecting Interallied Victory Medals for 3 years now and after a short break I'm planning to expand my collection.

This French unofficial Chobillon piece is my latest find but the signature 'bronze' and triangle stampings on the rim are missing from the medal. Is it an original piece or a fake medal? Pictures below:

DSC_5097-forum.jpgDSC_5094-forum.jpgDSC_5098-forum.jpg

Thank you for the reply and the good news. I'm really happy that this one is a correct piece.

On 12/12/2016 at 05:27, Normandie said:

Hi All,

I'm a new member on the forum and would be interested in your opinions on the below medal. I'm collecting Interallied Victory Medals for 3 years now and after a short break I'm planning to expand my collection.

This French unofficial Chobillon piece is my latest find but the signature 'bronze' and triangle stampings on the rim are missing from the medal. Is it an original piece or a fake medal? Pictures below:

DSC_5097-forum.jpg

Hello Normandie,

Un-marked Chobillon varieties like this are rarely seen without the BRONZE or 'AC'.  I have a couple in my collection which have a more copper finish than a darker bronze as well as one that is in a Kretley Maison box.

A good pick-up of a more difficult to obtain sub-variety of the Chobillon design.

Regards,
Rob

Edited by RobW
typographical error

On 2017. 01. 15. at 02:36, RobW said:

Hello Normandie,

Un-marked Chobillon varieties like this are rarely seen without the BRONZE or 'AC'.  I have a couple in my collection which have a more copper finish than a darker bronze as well as one that is in a Kretley Maison box.

A good pick-up of a more difficult to obtain sub-variety of the Chobillon design.

Regards,
Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for adding this extra detail to my medal. At first I was worried if this one is a later restrike, but knowing that a rare unmarked version also extists is really good to know. Many thanks again for your input.

Kind regards,

Bence

french un-official type 2b  46mm dia.  2.4mm thick, shown with ville de montivilliers comm. medal, and standard .

Scan_20180119 (2).jpg

Scan_20180119.jpg

also a french gray metal cast. nonferrous, very hard and heavy, lacking deep detail, other odd bronze cast piece with large r where hallmark should be, heavy ball suspension. lackluster detail. william

Scan_20180119 (4).jpg

Scan_20180119 (5).jpg

On 12/9/2017 at 05:09, oliver860 said:

Привет!

Ваши мнения!

С уважением

Француз р.jpg

Француз 1а.jpg

Француз 2а.jpg

Hello Oliver,

It is not unusual to see cast copies of the vic series. This is a better quality cast copy with a good level of remaining detail, despite the appearance of the casting bubbles. A nice addition.

Regards,
Rob