News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 3 weeks later...
    • Replies 155
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This grouping has the Rare Belgium / French Victory Medal + 4 other medals I will be posting on ebay 5/1/2015

This grouping was used in my book "World WAR I, Victory Medals

Military Medal, Croix De Guerre (War Cross) with star, Croix De Combatant given to all those who fought as front-line soldiers, WWI Commemorative Medal given to all of those who served and the Rare Victory medal. This medal is based on the Belgium design. The main reason I think this medal is found on both French and Belgium grouping, is the back is blank and could be engaged.

I wrote the book World War I, Victory medals published in 2014, and I guarantee this medal to be as stated, official and true. (downsizing).

$(KGrHqQOKjQE5,71U1U+BOdk8S(21g~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqQOKkYE5soU9QE(BOdk8m6y9!~~60_3.jpg

001.jpg

IMG_0822m smaller.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi Gents,

My first purchase of 2016 - the Unofficial Type 2, but without the designers names on obverse and reverse ...

france%20unoff%20nosig_zpshzzjk7ww.jpg

It seems to be well made, some slight roughness, and in the hand there appears to be the remains of gilding around the design. There are no marks on the edge.

I think this is what French collectors call an 'artisanal' version.

Bill

• 7 months later...
    12 hours ago, bryansk1959 said:

Hi.Your opinions please about these two medals and their ribbons.Many thanks.Alexander.

Hello Alexander,

Both the unofficial type 1 (first example) and unofficial type 2 (second example) that you have obtained are correct, and in good condition.  Of note is that there should be manufacturers marks and the word BRONZE stamped on the rims of the medals.  The unofficial type 2 does have a bit of verdigris on the obverse.  This can generally be removed with a soft brush but there are many and varied opinions on whether or not you should clean medals.

As far as the ribbons are concerned the ribbon on the unofficial type 1 is the correct French ribbon but the ribbon on the unofficial type 2 is actually Belgian ribbon (which is quite distinctive).  I would remove that ribbon and find another piece of French ribbon so that it is correct to type.

Regards,
    Rob

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I'm a new member on the forum and would be interested in your opinions on the below medal. I'm collecting Interallied Victory Medals for 3 years now and after a short break I'm planning to expand my collection.

This French unofficial Chobillon piece is my latest find but the signature 'bronze' and triangle stampings on the rim are missing from the medal. Is it an original piece or a fake medal? Pictures below:

DSC_5097-forum.jpgDSC_5094-forum.jpgDSC_5098-forum.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 12/12/2016 at 05:27, Normandie said:

Hi All,

I'm a new member on the forum and would be interested in your opinions on the below medal. I'm collecting Interallied Victory Medals for 3 years now and after a short break I'm planning to expand my collection.

This French unofficial Chobillon piece is my latest find but the signature 'bronze' and triangle stampings on the rim are missing from the medal. Is it an original piece or a fake medal? Pictures below:

DSC_5097-forum.jpg

Hello Normandie,

Un-marked Chobillon varieties like this are rarely seen without the BRONZE or 'AC'.  I have a couple in my collection which have a more copper finish than a darker bronze as well as one that is in a Kretley Maison box.

A good pick-up of a more difficult to obtain sub-variety of the Chobillon design.

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW
    typographical error

• 1 month later...
    On 2017. 01. 15. at 02:36, RobW said:

Hello Normandie,

Un-marked Chobillon varieties like this are rarely seen without the BRONZE or 'AC'.  I have a couple in my collection which have a more copper finish than a darker bronze as well as one that is in a Kretley Maison box.

A good pick-up of a more difficult to obtain sub-variety of the Chobillon design.

Regards,
    Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for adding this extra detail to my medal. At first I was worried if this one is a later restrike, but knowing that a rare unmarked version also extists is really good to know. Many thanks again for your input.

Kind regards,

Bence

• 8 months later...
    • 1 month later...

french un-official type 2b  46mm dia.  2.4mm thick, shown with ville de montivilliers comm. medal, and standard .

Scan_20180119 (2).jpg

Scan_20180119.jpg

also a french gray metal cast. nonferrous, very hard and heavy, lacking deep detail, other odd bronze cast piece with large r where hallmark should be, heavy ball suspension. lackluster detail. william

Scan_20180119 (4).jpg

Scan_20180119 (5).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
    On 12/9/2017 at 05:09, oliver860 said:

Привет!

Ваши мнения!

С уважением

Француз р.jpg

Француз 1а.jpg

Француз 2а.jpg

Hello Oliver,

It is not unusual to see cast copies of the vic series. This is a better quality cast copy with a good level of remaining detail, despite the appearance of the casting bubbles. A nice addition.

Regards,
    Rob

• 1 year later...

Just a few of my French Victory medals: -

Official type 1 - Designed by Pierre Alexander Morlon

00.thumb.jpg.34606e8f1604b4f839836be89232a6ab.jpg

0.thumb.jpg.2b29a5976bfa9f7b3b48412becb0f240.jpg

Unofficial type 1 - Designed by C.Charles

00.thumb.jpg.81ee327a5b2c88afe1d89a7d00306c09.jpg

0.jpg.42c58ad97ddc3e92b9a1fd30a18368d7.jpg

1.jpg.698112e730afeddc519951e210ad5205.jpg

Unofficial type 2 - Designed by Marcel Pautot and Louis Octave Mattei

00.thumb.jpg.7e06377506b00e08921f764597665ef4.jpg

0.jpg.14454d8a0bc533c88ba82d7725c84d33.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.f1a59c39cafac87ab698b5b99a33bbe1.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hello, gentlemen!

My recent purchase of M. Pautot - L. O. (Louis Octave) Mattei

Франция Неофициальный тип 2а_resize.jpg

Франция Неофициальный тип 2а рев_resize.jpg

I also compared my two varieties France the Unofficial type

The left one has a diameter of 36.3 mm and a thickness of 2.5 mm.

Suspension ball, diameter 6 mm

The right one has a diameter of 36.2 mm and a thickness of 2.5 mm.

Suspension ball, diameter 4.7 mm

Франция Неофициальный тип 2а Mattei пара аверс мед_resize.jpg

Франция Неофициальный тип 2а Mattei пара рев мед_resize.jpg

There are some reverse differences

Left - the inscription "BRONZE"

Right - the inscription "BRONZE" is missing

Yours faithfully

Франция Неофициальный тип 2а Mattei пара гурт.jpg

Hello Oliver,

It is not unusual to see die differences on the reverse planchet of the Pautot-Mattei unofficial variety.  Even in the two examples you have illustrated there are very minor die differences on the reverse.  It is also not unusual to see the absence of a makers mark and BRONZE on the rim.  There is another strike that has the square makers mark of M. Delande with the word BRONZE as well although that particular variety is becoming quite difficult to find.

Thanks for adding to the list of examples.

Regards,
    Rob

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I am back on the forum after an absence of a few years. I read through the thread and it didn't seem anyone had posted any pictures of the unofficial Type 2c. Here is the obverse of the Type 2 with the T2c next to it.

best wishes

Rob

Victory France unoff T2 obverse low.jpg

and here is the reverse. Both medals are stamped on the edge with BRONZE. On the 2c you can see the hallmark, but it is obscured on the T2 because of where they have attached the knob.

Laslo says the Type 2c should be considered rare but anybody have any idea how many of these were made or can they say how many they have come across in the past?

best wishes

Rob

Victory France unoff T2 reverse low.jpg