News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brazilian Victory Medals

Hello to all

I found searching the internet doing some combinations of names, pictures of a medal Victory Brazilian it seems, would be a medal type 1. Unfortunately no images have edges, only the words of the description: "CASA DA MOEDA - Rio."
    The most curious thing is that the type of suspension is different from what we know.
    Really would Medal type 1?

Best
    Regards

Lambert

Is it my imagination or are the CASADA MOEDA pieces in slightly higher relief?

Paul

Hello Paul,

I have both a type 1 and a type 2 and I never really took that much attention to any differences in the relief. While my collection is in long-term storage the next time I am in a position to review them, I shall take a closer look.

I do know, however, that the type 1 is much more rarely seen than the type 2.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello All.

Here we have a long holiday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. :)

I noticed details of our photos of Vic Brazil type 2 we have in the topic, with the photo I posted of susposta medal "Type 1".
    I can this wrong, but I think the medal "Type 1" has the winged victory looked straight ahead, while the winged victory of Type 2 looks slightly with his head tilted down.

any comment is important.

• 4 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Here I present a Group of Mini Campaign Medal, Victory Medal Brazil, Commemorative Medal of the War 1915-1918 (Italy), Service Medal (Brazil) and the Order of Avis (Portugal).

Unfortunately it's not mine.

Lambert

• 1 year later...

Hello gentlemen.

After many years of search, I present my example of Rare Victory Medal Brazil Type 2 Official (unmarked), for the veterans of the Navy and Volunteer Doctors sent to France.

WP_20150706_006.thumb.jpg.f02979fb40a6bb

WP_20150706_007.thumb.jpg.b5d3835887050d

WP_20150706_008.thumb.jpg.7509b36035ffb9

WP_20150706_012.thumb.jpg.cf4a69592f4cd1

I will try to make better photos.

Best Regards

Lambert

Hello gentlemen.

After many years of search, I present my example of Rare Victory Medal Brazil Type 2 Official (unmarked), for the veterans of the Navy and Volunteer Doctors sent to France.

I will try to make better photos.

Best Regards

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

It is good to see that you have finally managed to obtain such a rare piece. In regards the ring suspension it does look like it has been polished a bit or even maybe resoldered as it looks a different hue and patina to the rest of the medal.

Either way a good pickup.

Regards,
    Rob

Hello Rob,

Yes, the medal had to be repaired (resoldered) the suspension ring by a jeweler. Originally I will found without the suspension ring, he was lost however I could not let this opportunity pass.

Regards
    Lambert

• 1 month later...
    • 5 months later...

Hello all,

I am new to the site and have been reading this interesting thread about the Brazilian Victory medal. More than 10 years ago I bought a type 2 from a dealer in London and it came with a Diploma. I can share a picture of the medal and diploma if anyone is interested.

My questions are, how rare is it to find a Brazilin victory medal still with its diploma and how much does the diploma add to the value of the medal?

best wishes

Rob

Hello Rob ,

The medal is considered the second rarest of official series this diploma is rarer together is hardly found the two together. And much coveted among collectors of Vic's and  Medal of the First World War. Unfortunately I have the ability to estimate a value.

You would like to show pictures of your group?

Cheers

Lambert

Edited by lambert

4 hours ago, sumserbrown said:

Hello all,

I am new to the site and have been reading this interesting thread about the Brazilian Victory medal. More than 10 years ago I bought a type 2 from a dealer in London and it came with a Diploma. I can share a picture of the medal and diploma if anyone is interested.

My questions are, how rare is it to find a Brazilin victory medal still with its diploma and how much does the diploma add to the value of the medal?

best wishes

Rob

Hello Rob,

Welcome to the forum.  I am sure that you will find much advice and information here on all the vic series.

As Lambert has indicated the Brazil vic is probably the more difficult of the series to find and to find it accompanied by the diploma is difficult.  You have to rely on the integrity of the seller to match the medal to the diploma as the Brazil vics were not named.  That in itself, with any unnamed medal, can be a challenge.  If it is confirmed that the medal and diploma are to the one person that should enhance its collectibility.

As for difference in price or value, that is in the eye of the collector.  Without cast iron provenance it can be difficult to prove a link.  Either way having a diploma and the medal is always preferable to one without.

By way of illustration, I have obtained, from a collector in Rio De Janeiro, a Brazil type 1 vic, with miniature, and diploma, all to the same naval gentleman.  It was a long time in searching and needless to say it was not a cheap purchase.

Regards,

Rob

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 13:38, Bilco said:

Welcome Rob,

I'm very envious of your Brazilian vic, not to mention the diploma. Please post photos!

Bill

Apologies to anyone wanting to see this but I was on business. Here are what I think is a Laslo official type 2 plus the diploma with which I bought it. I have no proof that these two items officially go together!

best wishes

Rob

IMG_5639.JPG

6 hours ago, lambert said:

Hi Rob

It's a amazing group !!!!
    It's correct! Vic type 2, were issued in the 30s, curiously all diplomas I've seen so far, are from 1932 !

Sub-oficial João do Prado Maria, 12-5-1932  (admiral Prado Maia)

marinh8.jpg.0c33e98948787be4a0dacb2443d4

http://www.aprama.com.br/patrono.html

Cheers

Lambert

Wow, Lambert, thank you for this amazing research!! I had no idea I had the diploma of a man who later became an admiral. Thank you so much for sharing this news.

I am guessing then that the medal probably does not belong to the diploma, or it means that someone took apart his medal group.

Rob