News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello!

You do not understand!

There is an official type 3 by Laszlo.

On the obverse left of the inscription "ORSOLINO MOD." Right in two lines «F.M. LORIOLLI & CASTELLI MILANO ».

The reverse "G.Villa" is missing.

And there is the same type, but in reverse "G.Villa"?

Oliver

Hello Oliver,

If you note post #12 on this thread, by Lambert, it has pics of the obverse and reverse of the Lorioli-Castelli variety. On the reverse there is no mark of 'G.Villa' on the right hand side as viewed.

Are you saying that you have seen a Loriloi-Castelli variety that has the marking of 'G.Villa' on the reverse?

That would be interesting to see if it is the case.

Regards

Rob

• Replies 227
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

On this date 02 July 2012 - 19:10 I posted this question, why out and answer?

So once more I ask, does anyone have a 1915-1918 Italian Victory medal listed in Lasolss book that they would be willing to share with us all by posting it, showing both sides.

Thanks Jim

Hi All

I found this information on an Italian website.

I translate it as is.

=================================

Created on 16.12.1920 based on the joint decision of the Allied Forces to establish the "Victory Medal".

Not all provisions established by international agreement have been met. In particular, should the symbols (or names) of the victorious powers, but it did not.

Under the agreements, the war years were identified: 1914-1918, except in two cases.

Was produced in about 2 million units, making it the third number after the UK and the USA and as France.

Are many known variants.

The first type, the actual distribution, has 6 (Shoe-Sézanne):

- Base: without additional writing to and fro

- 1 "mod G.Orsolini". the front

- 2: "mod G.Orsolini". and "S.Johnson-Milan" in front - behind "G.Villa inc."

- 3 "mod G.Orsolini". and "F.M.Lorioli & Castelli-Milano" in front

- 4: "mod G.Orsolini". and "Sacchini-Milan" in front - behind "G.Villa inc."

- 5: No additional writing. The last two digits on the back is 1915 (MCMXV)

continues...

Edited by lambert

Believe it.,. I was surprised by what I saw. :speechless1:

I never saw anything about it.

==================================

The second type:

In front: the figure of a winged woman, describing the victory, going left, with his right arm raised and relaxed, left, has a shield and holding a Roman sword decorated with a laurel branch.

On the reverse: in the field, empolerado looking to right an eagle, with outspread wings, overlooking the shield of Savoy and divides into two, on a background decorated with oak leaves, the motto:

GRANDE GUERRA / PER LA CIVILTA' / AI COMBATTENTI DELLE NAZIONI / ALLEATE E / ASSOCIATE

Great War / by civilization '/ fighters nations / Allies and / Associate:

The medal:

Edited by lambert

The third type:

In front: the figure of a woman with wings, representing the victory before a shield resting on the ground and that she supports with her left hand, while with his right hand raised, holding a torch, a helmet at his feet.

On the reverse: a dove on the left, raised their wings, with an olive branch in its beak. At the top, in turn, is the motto of the large cavity. "War For Civilization" and horizontally, from top to bottom, divided by dove beneath the legend AI . COMBATTENTI . DELLE . NAZIONI / ALLEATE . ED . ASSOCIATE .. Associate and in-line below MCMXV MCMXVIII

(immagine Scarpa-Sézanne "Le decorazioni del Regno di Sardegna e del Regno d'Italia - Commemorative - vol.2" - Tav. 25)

Istituzione : 1920

Comments welcome.

Edited by lambert

• 2 months later...

Hi Gents,

My latest acquisition - I think it's the Italy Reproduction Type 3:

italyrepro301.jpg

Obverse

italyrepro302.jpg

Reverse.

Laslo says it 'Appears to be a contemporary version of the Unofficial Type1' with minor differences to obverse and reverse, especially the lettering at the top of the reverse. It is lighter in colour than the Unofficial Type 1, being coppery-bronze. The planchet is 34mm diameter but, unlike Laslo's description, the planchet is thin, at just under 2mm.

It appears to be die-struck, with striations on the edge, and the staffa is rather crude compared with the Official versions. The ribbon is watered silk - not apparent in the photos. Czech manufacture?

Any comments welcome.

Bill

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the confirmation. To illustrate the differences between the Unofficial Type 1 and Repro Type 3 I now have this:

italycomp.jpg

Left Unofficial Type 1, right Repro Type 3. The difference in colour is very striking.

On the obverse the most obvious difference is on the right tip of Victory's wings and the folds of her robe; on the reverse the difference in the top lettering is most obvious in the word PER - the R is quite different - and also the G of GVERRA. The letters are also rather smaller on the Repro, and the spaces between the words are larger.

Both medals are rather crudely made compared to the Official types.

Bill

• 2 months later...

Hi Bill

Many thanks for a great comprehensive reply.

Do I take it that a more light Bronze looking Johnson may not necessarily mean that it's a Type 1 reissue, or is that a given? I have seen some Italian vics as bright as a UK Vic, though most are the more dark tanned brown.

Hello Martin,

The re-issue type 1 is of a very much lighter bronze finish. In addition it has a number of die differences compared to the official type1. The comparison post in the much larger main pinned thread shows the differences clearly.

I believe that a Type 2 reissue sold on ebay in that last few days, it was unmarked with regard to maker and Orsolini but had the MCMXIV on the reverse. It went for over £40. Would these still be regarded as collectible?

Yes; very much so. They are distinctive and are seen a bit more regularly than the re-issue type 1.

The cast copies sound daunting, do these look significantly inferior to originals?

Most definitely yes; The repro type 1 has a slight irridescent finish and has a clearly defined casting line present on the rim. The repro type 2 is extremely hard to find and has a much lower level of detail than the official version. There have been a number of pictures of the repro type 3 in this forum so that is a good reference.

Many thanks for your continued help

Martin

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents,

My latest acquisition cost me 10 Euros - and was pretty much accidental ...

Italyreissue03_zpsf0e89061.jpg

I think it might be the Reissue Type 1. The planchet is significantly thinner than my Official Type 2 at 1.6mm versus 2mm+, and the diameter is 36mm. The level of detail is much less. Notably, the handles on the urn on the reverse are almost non-existant, and the dots between the words Alleate, Ed and Associate in the exergue on the reverse are vestigal to invisible.

The colour of the bronze is much lighter than the Official types, although it looks like someone has scrubbed over the surface, and there is a darker colour in amongst the legs of the lions on the obverse. If it is the Reissue, however, I'll keep it until a better example turns up. All I need now is a piece of suitable ribbon.

All comments welcome,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Hi All.

Acquired some time, for a very attractive price. still with original packaging. I think it's original stock

Any comment on this?

close

Regards.
    Lambert

Edited by lambert

To one and all,

Here is an italian group with an official type 3 vic (Lorioli-Castelli Milano).

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob.

Very cool that group.

Would you post a picture of the side brings the group? would like to see.

Lambert

:)

Edited by lambert

Hi Rob.

Very cool that group.

Would you post a picture of the side brings the group? would like to see.

Lambert

:)

Hello Lambert,

Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately I can't show the reverse of this group as I sold it last week to make way for another item.

Regards,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

An overview of my vic Italian..

attachicon.gifcoleção vic italiana.jpg

mod. Stefano Johnson

mod. Lorioli & Castelli

mod. Sacchini (Mint)

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

A nice trio especially with the original less blended ribbon. The un-ribboned Sacchini example, in the original paper package, is a nice example. These are not often seen.

Regards,

Rob