News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Philippines Victory Medals

As we start out, we can use this thread for Philippine Victory Medals, variations in medals/ribbons, etc.

I wasn't going to add this one but, Laslo does discuss this variety, and they did exist. I'm hoping to see collectors that may have these in their collections come forward with some discussion.

Tim :cheers:

Very nice!

In my past travels throughout the Philippines, and looking though various shops, etc. for old silver coins and such, I have never seen one for sale or displayed anywhere. Now, I wish I had looked harder. Honestly though, I never knew much about this version until I picked up Laslo's reference. Even then, until I seen this example listed recently on eBay, I had my doubts on these.

Same can be said about the Thai version, but my younger mind was always on other things. :whistle::P

Tim

Hi Tim

I know little about this medal, I'm not sure if we can consider it as "Official." ??

and our research can say it later

I understand that. were made for the soldiers of the Philippine National Guard, was created by the Philippine Assembly in 1917 to serve under General John Pershing in Europe. He had 25,000 troops when it was absorbed into the national army. This unit, however, did not fight, it was only brought in federal service on Armistice Day and never leave the islands.

Lambert

Edited by lambert

Hi Lambert,

Yes, I pretty much have the same understanding and never really thought of these as WW1 Victory Medals per-se. As you pointed out they were meant for the Philippine National Guard that did not actually participate in the Great War.

I think, as they were under US jurisdiction at the time, they felt they were entitled to something, being in uniform, similar to the average American soldier/sailor that may or may not have actually participated in battle but, was entitled to wear the victory medal as part of his uniform simply by being uniformed military at the time.

Laslo thought enough of it to include it in his reference, so I thought I should at least include it here and gave it it's own header. I have not done so with the Chinese Commemorative and figure either someone will want that one included or simply call it out in the "Other related section".

I must say, after seeing the quality of strike of the above ebay piece, I thought it closely mirrored the quality of the Philippine minted coins of that era, so had a change of heart towards these. Still, I would want a complete version with ribbon if I was to ever add one to my collection.

Tim

• 1 year later...

Found this... From the 1922 edition of The Numismatist, Vol 35

http://books.google.com/books?id=RpcUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA554&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U2EYddaAz0nE4lOKgE19PVYPjkHkA&ci=115%2C633%2C816%2C445&edge=0

Have also read that only 6,000 were issued... While it wasn't referenced as such, that may come from Laslo.

Edited by IrishGunner

I thought that the Philippines was a US territory during that time, thus should receive(in my logic) the US version of that medal. I am very suprised to see this.

Ahhh, logic... :whistle:

Indeed, the Philippines were an "unincorporated" territory - meaning they were merely a possession and not considered an integral part of the United States (and therefore under the jurisdiction of the Consitution). So, in that logic - they weren't the US at all and should have their own medal. Actually, the Philippine Autonomy Act was passed in 1916, which basically indicated the US intent to allow the Philippines to become independent at some point. So, in that logic...

Ahhh, logic... :speechless:

Martin, thanks for your comment.

We have several experts with on-going discussions about various nations' Victory Medals and there is a lot to learn in this Special Interest Section on these very prolific category of medals. As the new Moderator for the "Inter-Allied Victory Medals of the Great War," I'm hoping to generate some renewed interest by the broader GMIC community in the topic; especially as we head to the 100th Anniversary of the outbreak of the Great War in 19 months.

Cheers! :cheers:

• 1 year later...

IrishGunner

As I was looking thought this section, I noticed this one and would like add this for the readers

There were several other countries who did not make a Victory Medal as we know. They did make a medal to honor their part in the victory in the world war: Andorra, China, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Liberia, Montenegro, Nicaragua, Panama, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, British Empire: Australia, Canada, India, Bangladesh, Burma and Pakistan, Newfoundland, New Zealand and British crown colonies. And for the United States, Alaska, Hawaii, Philippine, Puerto Rico.

• 3 years later...

sure Ura87, official type 1, 3 mm thick, US possession coat of arms on reverse.

Scan_20180120 (3).jpg

Scan_20180120 (5).jpg

here is the type 2,  same as official type 1, 2mm thick ,

Scan_20180120 (6).jpg

Scan_20180120 (8).jpg

here is the reissue type , same as official, but reverse has commonwealth coat of arms on back.  Luzon for service campaign medal that shares the same reverse

Scan_20180120 (9).jpg

Scan_20180120 (10).jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello Gentlemen,

This is another Type 1 of the Philippines Constabulary "Interallied Victory Medal WW1" , even if no filipino troops were involved in combat. This medal is believed to have been instituted in 1922 for personnel of the Philipino Constabulary who served during the War, between 6 April 1917 & 11 November 1918 ( at end of 1918, the constabulary Force was about 360 Officers & 5708 Enlisted Men (source : AlexanderJ Laslo "The Interallied Victory Medal").

The real 1st issue is thicker at some part of the rim ( 3 mm at 3 O'Clock position  ). the diameter is 36 millimeters.

Remember on official issue of this medal, the point of the sword on the obverse is to the left of the letter T. On unofficial issue, the point of the sword is on the H of "THE WORLD WAR 1917-18".

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines WWI Victory Medal obverse.jpg

Philippines WWI Victory Medal reverse.jpg

Philippines WWI Victory Medal side at 5 O'Clock thicker 3 millimeter.jpg

Edited by heusy68

• 2 months later...

I bought an official type 2 several years ago but it had lost its ribbon. I can see a few people on this thread have attached a piece of interallied victory medal ribbon, but does anyone know where I can get a replacement (even if modern) piece of the original ribbon that should have been on the medal?

thanks

Rob

• 5 weeks later...

Recently I have been photographing my medals (for insurance purposes) and it's amazing how much detail you can then see when you zoom into a high resolution photo.

What I see is that my version of the medal seems to be maybe lighter in colour but also with a great deal more detail visible than some of the other versions posted on the forum. So an obvious question - is my medal genuine or not. Is it such a good copy that it is TOO detailed or has it just had less wear than some of the others.

Open to any thoughts from the team...

367 obverse.JPG

367 reverse.JPG