Gentleman's Military Interest Club

davidck   

I haven't seen any descriptions anywhere of an American medal with numbers stamped on the front.  I'm wondering if I've maybe stumbled across some previously unknown type.

Herman   

Yes ! This picture was sent to me upon my request. It confirms my thoughts. 

Now I hope it's original.

Herman 

post-64023-0-47767400-1502372498.jpg

Herman   

Yes, so do I.  I will replace the bars with some 'made in france' 30-ties bars.

Any opinion about the brooch Bilco? 

Thanks and Regards, 

Herman 

Bilco   

Herman - without being able to see the rest of the brooch it's hard to be definite, but there are several US-made brooches used on various official and unofficial awards that could fit the bill. There is a very good illustrated guide to US medal brooches here http://www.medalmuli...ooch-guide.html which might help you.

Bill

RobW   

Hello Herman,

I would leave both the brooch and engagment clasps as they are, unless you want to specifically construct a US french-made example complete with clasps. As Bill has indicated the edge marking of the large font 'MADE IN FRANCE' is consistent with late 20's to early 30's french manufacture; as is the ribbed planchet edges.

Once the specimen is in your hands I would also inspect the remainder of the rim for either the marking 'BRONZE' or some other makers mark. You will also want to inspect both sides of the large suspension ring as there are occasionally markings on that as well.

A gentle brush, with some warm water and a soft toothbrush, will remove the crud that has accumulated on the top section of the planchet reverse. A nice example.

Regards,
Rob

Hi Herman,

Each medal you find has its own story, and as Rob stated all collectibles should be left alone. There is no real value to be added to it if you change it. As I say, we do not own these items we are just the care takers.

Regards Jim