News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

American (US) Victory Medals

This is insane!

The ribbon is repro- type used by "a known" after market venter.

The Overseas clasp is an Army style clasp repro not a - Navy style.

England clasp is from an Army original from what i can see.

France clasps is a known French made Army style repro.

The Transport is an original mint "Late" issue clasp.

And it has seven hours to go until it ends and it is up to $320 USD or 207 GBP "insane".

ebay # 221217686746

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221217686746?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

Hi,

The most interesting medal of this lot was the French WWI medal, because it was an US manufacture...

Regards

Pierre-Yves

• Replies 612
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure which medal?

Hi,

This group of three medals consists of US Victory (with an absurd combination of clasps, therefore without interest...) but with an interesting French WWI medal made in USA (you can go to my website for informations http://www.medailles1914-1918.fr/france-commemora.html) and a FIDAC medal (I think also of US manufacture).

Regards

Pierre-Yves

Hi,

This group of three medals consists of US Victory (with an absurd combination of clasps, therefore without interest...) but with an interesting French WWI medal made in USA (you can go to my website for informations http://www.medailles1914-1918.fr/france-commemora.html) and a FIDAC medal (I think also of US manufacture).

Regards

Pierre-Yves

To all,

As Pierre-Yves has mentioned the interesting item in the group is the US produced French War Commemorative medal.

While slightly off-topic there are also US manufactured versions of the following French medals:

* St. Mihiel Medal

* Chateau-Thierry Medal

* Verdun Medal

These US manufactured versions are surprisingly more difficult to find than their French made counterparts.

The FIDAC medals is also a nice specimen. I have seen other French made examples that have a ball suspender and the dates 1918-19 inscribed on the reverse.

Regards,

Rob

Good Morning to Pierre-Yves, thanks for the information

I do not stray out of my theater of collecting so I am clueless on foreign awards. I checked your posted web site and found out:

a) On the obverse, the main differences lie in the face, foliage and especially the lack of signature of the engraver on the American model.

b)The reverse, also the leaves, the main difference on the U.S. model is the inscription in relief (not hollow) "GREAT WAR 1914-1918". Furthermore, no maker's mark is present. That is cool to know.

Armed with information I ask, is this medal group worth the $320 USD?

Also I ask is this medal from Geo. W. Studley, as I see in his catalog he did sell this medal and these medal as well St Mihiel, Chateau-Thierry and the Verdun. Which were all unofficial issues.

I enclose a photo of his medals. George states, he has all the needed ribbon for any medal purchased.

Regards Jim

Edited by johnnymac

Good Morning to Pierre-Yves, thanks for the information

I do not stray out of my theater of collecting so I am clueless on foreign awards. I checked your posted web site and found out:

a) On the obverse, the main differences lie in the face, foliage and especially the lack of signature of the engraver on the American model.

b)The reverse, also the leaves, the main difference on the U.S. model is the inscription in relief (not hollow) "GREAT WAR 1914-1918". Furthermore, no maker's mark is present. That is cool to know.

Armed with information I ask, is this medal group worth the $320 USD?

Also I ask is this medal from Geo. W. Studley, as I see in his catalog he did sell this medal and these medal as well St Mihiel, Chateau-Thierry and the Verdun. Which were all unofficial issues.

I enclose a photo of his medals. George states, he has all the needed ribbon for any medal purchased.

Regards Jim

attachicon.gif$(KGrHqUOKikE5mUe8PviBOj45yLgTw~~60_3.jpg

Hi Jim,

Many many thanks for the scan of this catalog!!! Could you provide me a scan (200 dpi) of these 2 pages for my website? It's a great information for french medals, even unofficial, manufactured in USA... For the price of the group, for me it's too expensive, especially as winner probably bought the lot for US Victory...

Besides, hello to Rob!

Regards

Pierre-Yves

Edited by Marne14

Geo. W. Studley writes on page 47, he is making reproduction so the market is not flooded, chuckle, chuckle he is the only person in the USA making these reproduction.

Edited by johnnymac

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Opinion on my US Victory Medal with Aviation Clasp. This is not my field of collecting, but I am starting to get into them. BTW, a local dealer tried to tell me that this is worth no more than $40 ($50 if lucky). I did not believe him.

Regards,

Jody

Hello Jody,

Forget the dealers - They need to make a living and they can not sell it at the the same price they would buy it for. Understandable since they have a lot of expenses.

Lets look at your Medal

a) The clasp is original, Art Metal Works clasps.

b) The ribbon length correct and the clasp is correct.

c) It is the correct type-2 medal.

d) The other good part is your medal was issued to both Naval and Marine Corps personnel, and there was only about 15,000 made to be issued.

e) The bad part is the condition of the ribbon.

f) Last fact, the Aviation naval clasp is a hard clasp to get, I think that fact balances the failing ribbon.

This is why I believe your medal would be placed at $75 as the low end, and $125 as the high end.

Regards Jim

Edited by johnnymac

Hi Jim,

Thank you and I figured it would be worth about double the offer. I will post my other two clasps later. It is nice to know that the clasp is a difficult one to obtain.

Regards,

Jody

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

Many many thanks for the scan of this catalog!!! Could you provide me a scan (200 dpi) of these 2 pages for my website? It's a great information for french medals, even unofficial, manufactured in USA... For the price of the group, for me it's too expensive, especially as winner probably bought the lot for US Victory...

Besides, hello to Rob!

Regards

Pierre-Yves

Hello Pierre-Yves,

I have 3 George Studley catalogues (1939, 1943 and 1961) but my collection is in long-term storage so I cannot get access to them.

These catalogues are a good source of information on US medals and do indeed show the differences between US produced versions of French medals and the original French manufactured items. I have also seen other US groups that have the French manufactured Verdun and St. Mihiel medals. There is always much variety.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lambert,

I saw this posting myself, but since you ask, the mini wings look to be WWII, "only a guess on my part as to the wings age". The wings "may" have been placed on the medal by a veteran from WWI at a later date. this medal should be purchased for a "story" or for "interest" only, as the medal to me is valued at its max.

IMHO, Jim

I just got my third, (2 Army, 1 Navy) Official, type-3 (late issue) naval medal by Lordship Industry, made in late 70's by the marking on the brooch. Note; that they were still issuing medals with Art Metal Works clasps which is not always the case with the late issue Army.

These are very hard to find in the naval version.

Click on photo to open to large viewing of medal

Edited by johnnymac

Hello Jim,

I have a similar example from Lordship with a Navy bar. I don't have my collection with me so I can't recall which one it was but it was a Fullford manufactured one with the thin backstrap.

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW

Rob

I would like to see your medal so please post it when you can.

Regards, Jim

Hello Jim,

You will be waiting a while as my collection, except for the reference books, is in long-term storage.

Regards,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...