News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

American (US) Victory Medals

• Replies 612
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello All.

Another U.S Vic. suspect. note the variety of claps and this excessive amount.

Item # 251292600201

Best

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

The CHATEAU-THIERRY and MEUSE-ARGONNE bars are US made while all the remainder are of French production and origin. You will note that there is also MADE IN FRANCE on the backstop of one of the bars. These bars are all contemporary to the 1930's so it is not altogether untoward to see them.

Of note is that the vic is also a 'wire loop' variety.

It is certainly not unusual to see where the recipient has added bars that, in their mind, accurately reflect their service.

A nice example especially with the corresponding 3rd Division Medal.

Regards,

Rob

Good Morning,

Yes the clasps are French made and Rob is correct about the exception of Chateau-Thierry, which is a U.S. unofficial fantasy made clasp. Also the Meuse-Argonne clasp which is an official U.S. Made clasp (without Spacer bars). Next the medal is also unofficial.

This medal was "not" made up by a veteran for his own use. IMO just someone with parts looking to make money "Buy Now" price is $375.

Last, No attempt at a brooch, and note the white strings (on both medals) where there was price tags, which help tell us these items were on table for sale without any buyers.

Jim

Edited by johnnymac

• 2 months later...

It's about time I've started adding some of my Victory Medals... I'm starting with this one with the "ATLANTIC FLEET" clasp. I've had this one for 7-8 years, but one thing I've learned as Mod of this forum, you guys know WAY MORE than I ever will about Victory Medals... So, what do you all think?

For service in the Atlantic Fleet between May 25 and November 11, 1918; 43,185 issued. Fifty-five US Navy ships qualified for the ATLANTIC FLEET clasp.

Edited by IrishGunner

Hi, Iris Gunner

Good to see you post a US Navy or US Marine Corps medal. I add US Marine Corps medal because Marines did serve on large type ships, like Battleships and Cruisers and these ships are part of the make-up of the Atlantic Fleet. In addition, I will add the ribbon, medal, brooch and the clasp (Fulford Manufacture Co.) are all correct. Had the ribbon length of this medal been different I might have question the fact that the ring is not tighter which sometimes is a sign that there was dealor or collector intervention. But not in this case as the ribbon is of the right length.

Regards, Jim

Edited by johnnymac

Lambert, nice to hear from you. Yes you should invest in some US Vic's. A word of caution be sure what you are buying is original. If you or anyone has a question on an item you wish to purchase contact me by email GMIC and if I can help, I will do my best to get the proper answer for you.

Lambert, prazer em ouvi-lo. Sim, você deve investir em algum EUA Vic. Uma palavra de cautela ter certeza que você está comprando é original. Se você ou alguém tiver uma pergunta sobre um item que você deseja comprar entrar em contato comigo por e-mail GMIC e se eu puder ajudar, eu farei o meu melhor para obter a resposta adequada para você.

Regards, Jim

What we have here is, Good and Bad news. The Italy is not good but the English is an original clasp,

(Click the photo to enlarge it). - The top clasp is your clasp, and the bottom is my original Italy. Also I posted below my Italy your England clasp, note how the letters of these two clasp match each other.

Regards, Jim

attachicon.gifItaly mod.jpg

johnnymac's original post edited by Moderator to add: This post has been edited to keep the "good news England clasp" in this thread and edited to move the "bad news Italy clasp" to the FAKES thread; see there for more info.

Edited by IrishGunner

To all,

A recent acquisition. It is a 'MADE IN ITALY' reproduction type (as defined by Alex Laslo). It has this mark stamped on the rim at the base. In addition it has a reproduction NAVAL BATTERY bar. The background of the bar has a slightly raised pebbled surface.

The italian repro is not often seen and even moreso rarely with a Navy/USMC bar.

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello Rob.

Could show pictures of the border? I did not know this Italian Repro.

Best Regards

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

The item has yet to arrive but I have a picture of the rim from another Italian repro to illustrate the mark. It is listed as the US repro type 2 in the Laslo reference (1992 edition).

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Lambert,

What is missing is the fact that the word "made in" had to be adding to imports after 1931. So, we can some what, date this medal as made between 1931 - 1950.

Here is another example of the same medal.

Regard, Jim

Edited by johnnymac

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Gents

Am I correct in saying that the US only issued their victory medal and then added clasps for campaigns. Is there no equivalent to the British trio of War medal, campaign star and victory medal.

Gents

Am I correct in saying that the US only issued their victory medal and then added clasps for campaigns. Is there no equivalent to the British trio of War medal, campaign star and victory medal.

That is correct. The US Victory Medal is actually considered a service medal with the clasps denoting campaign credit. There was an Army of Occupation of Germany Medal issued in 1941 for occupation duty between the dates of November 12, 1918 and July 11, 1923.

I will add onto Irish Gunner, that it also should be remembered that the U.S. did not enter into the war in 1914 as did the UK, but later in 1917. So I feel the UK troops at ready earned the British trio of War medal, campaign star and victory medal, and may be should have been awarded even more medals!

Hmmm.... and wasn't there a topic not long ago about the US issuing too many medals?

The victory medals were issued at the war's end (hence the victory bit) while the British issued medals through the war - Mons star and the 14-15 star (I wonder why no 1916, 1917 or 1918 star? like the French crosses. I assume men serving after 1915 were issued with the 14-15 star - sorry a bit off topic.