News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

State, Local & Veteran Organizational Issue Medals

These

really aren't under the scope of the "Inter-Allied Victory Medals" but, many U.S. states, citys, and local townships, in addition to veteran organizations issued victory medals to their returning soldiers. They are a legit part of the history and a specific area for collectors. So,as we start out, we can use this thread for the these items.

Tim :cheers:

Well, it's been awhile and the thread is starting to get quiet. I figure either people are losing interest or running out of new material to post.

Do we want to venture into the States and local issue VIC's here or should we start a new and separate thread?

Tim :beer:

Oregon State issue:

Edited by IrishGunner

• Replies 111
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Thomas,

I only have a few and found they are a collecting avenue in their own right. It appears all the States did produce one, but so did some local communities (cities and townships) and some veteran's groups. The list appears endless but, I think another collector/dealer (Larry Lipps?) has a booklet that he sells listing all of these. I used to have the link to his book and will have to see if I can find it again.

Some of these are nicer than others and some share the same design. This Oregon piece is also used by at least one other state. Some are cheaper than others. Don't know what else to say. I kind of lost interest in these myself, as there was no good, one-source reference showing/discussing all the variations. I think the Lipp's reference is just that, a list and nothing more.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Tim

Here's a couple more; the one on the right is for the Pennsylvania National Guard, so you kind of get the idea about how many you would have to go after to complete a set.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Hi Thomas,

Just to close this one out, here is the reference I was talking about if you're interested. The book, if still available runs about US $5.00-$6.00. It was actually Andrew Hipps and he has a website. Not sure how many he still has, if any.

Timcheers.gif

• 1 year later...

These really aren't under the scope of the "Inter-Allied Victory Medals" but, many U.S. states, citys, and local townships, in addition to veteran organizations issued victory medals to their returning soldiers. They are a legit part of the history and a specific area for collectors. So, as we start out, we can use this thread for the these items.

• 2 weeks later...

These really aren't under the scope of the "Inter-Allied Victory Medals" but, many U.S. states, citys, and local townships, in addition to veteran organizations issued victory medals to their returning soldiers. They are a legit part of the history and a specific area for collectors. So, as we start out, we can use this thread for the these items.

To All,

Both medals are for members the of U.S. Army's, 28th Division which was made up from just the Pennsylvania National Guard units. And both medals were made by: J.K. Davison's & Sons Inc., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Medal (1) - Was for federal service with the A.E.F. in France during WWI. (note the battle star)

Medal (2) - Was for being in the Pennsylvania National Guards, but not being overseas in France, during the War.

Their Division shoulder patch was the red Pennsylvania "Keystone", also known as a "Bucket of Blood Division"..

Regards, Jim

Edited by johnnymac

Thanks for kicking this area off Jim! :cheers:

I remember reading your previous posts on these in another thread and was quite surprised to see the differences. The more common of the two is of course the one issued to those that did not go to Europe to actually fight in the Great War.

Tim

Thanks for kicking this area off Jim! :cheers:

I remember reading your previous posts on these in another thread and was quite surprised to see the differences. The more common of the two is of course the one issued to those that did not go to Europe to actually fight in the Great War.

Tim

Tim you are right,

that is why you see so many of the P.N.G. type for sale, in mint condition, with box and the ribbon bar.

Regards, Jim

Edited by johnnymac

A good reference on this topic is "Revised Comprehensive List of World War I Service Medals Issued by States, Counties, Cities & Towns" by Louis W. Small.

Jean-Paul

This and a series that I really like.

On this issue I have a small number of service medals in my collection.

even have pictures on my website, with photos and text (in Portuguese) so far only two are there.

Sevice Medal Connecticut .

312.jpg

http://medalhasdegue...-estada-de.html

Medal Service Pennsylvania "PNG"

DSCF2553.JPG

http://medalhasdegue...ilvania-28.html

Edited by lambert

Here is another medal from one of the many counties in the State of New York. This design was reused many times by other interested counties. This medal has a name bar, but owner did not have the money or time to have engraved.

It was made for the Hubert Zimmer Co. by the Robbins Co., Attleboro, Mass.

Enjoy Jim M.

Edited by johnnymac

Happy to see more comments in this section.

I don't have much to add personally in this section that hasn't already been shown but, will be anxious to see what gets added as time goes on.

:beer:

Tim

Had some time tonight, so thought I would add what I have in this area.

Here's two more boxed medals that were shown above already. Both still have the tissue and service ribbons in addition to the medals. These used to be fairly cheap when the lots were made available on the market and I think some collectors/sellers bought up entire lots and are now reselling them at much higher prices. I have also seen similar items showing the 28th NG Mexican Border Service and Missouri state Vic, but didn't get them back then.

Tim

There are so many different styles between the various states, citys, townships, etc. but, many designs are shared with other issuing authorities as well.

Here's a nice little Oregon state issue. This design is shared with at least one other state that I know of and perhaps more than one. Hopefully as more medals get posted, we can start to assemble some form of database.

Tim

lambert,I live in Lehigh County just north of Allentown. I did not know Grammes made medals. I have a few of their dishes/bowls. Thanks for posting the medals. Rich A. in Pa.

THE JOHN WANAMAKER MEDAL FOR MEXICAN BORDER SERVICE, 1916 AWARDED TO SERGEANT JOHN WILBUR DICKEY, 'A' BATTERY, 2ND FIELD ARTILLERY, PENNSYLVANIA NATIONAL GUARD

During 1916, 166 employees of the Wanamaker stores in Philadelphia and New York actively served on the Mexican Border. To honor this service John Wanamaker presented each of these employees with the John Wanamaker Medal for Mexican Border Service, 1916.

Description:

General: A bronze medal in the shape of a Maltese cross suspended by a chain from a bronze top bar.

Obverse: In the center a circle within which is a bust of John Wanamaker facing to his left. In the circle is the inscription: DEFENDER OF AMERICA  MEMBER BUSINESS STAFF JOHN WANAMAKER . The circle is superimposed on the four arms of a Maltese cross. The upper arm bears the letter T; the others are blank. Between each arm of the cross is a sunburst with each having two letters superimposed: AU in the upper left, AC in the upper right, JW in the lower left, and CI in the lower right.

Reverse: In the upper half, the four line inscription: THIS / AMERICAN BUSINESS / WILL ALWAYS HOLD UP / THE AMERICAN FLAG. Below is the name JOHN WANAMAKER in script. At the bottom the name of the recipient JOHN DICKEY is engraved.

Suspension: The medal is suspended from a rectangular bronze top bar by a linked chain attached to a loop at each side of the bottom of the bar and to a loop at each end of the top arm of the Maltese cross. The obverse of the top bar has the words: MEXICAN BORDER 1916. The reverse of the top bar is blank except for the words J. W. PHILA. and a pin attachment with rotating safety clasp.

Reason for the award: The medal was awarded to the 166 employees of the John Wanamaker Department Stores who served on the Mexican Border in 1916. It appears that few of the 166 medals awarded have survived and that the medal is very seldom encountered.

The obverse of the medal is shown below: