News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

State, Local & Veteran Organizational Issue Medals

• Replies 111
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BIOGRAPHY OF JOHN WILBUR DICKEY, THE RECIPIENT

John Wilbur Dickey was born at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 1 April 1899, the son of John L. Dickey and Susan Buchanan Dickey of 2428 Christian Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Prior to World War I he was employed by the John Wanamaker Department Store in Philadelphia and was a senior cadet at the John Wanamaker Commercial Institute.

Dickey enlisted in the Pennsylvania National Guard on 19 June 1916, at the age of 17 years and 2 months and was posted as a Private (Army Serial Number 1251507) to A Battery, 2nd Field Artillery, Pennsylvania National Guard. He accompanied that unit to Texas on July 6, 1916 and served with it on Mexican border at Camp Stewart at El Paso, Texas until July 27, 1917. On July 12, 1917 he was promoted to Corporal and served at Camp Stancock, Georgia with his battery from August 27, 1917 until May 19, 1918.

Dickey was promoted to Sergeant on 1 January 1918 and embarked with his battery (now designated as Battery A, 108th Field Artillery, 28th Division) for France on June 5, 1918 and served with it in France until May 16, 1919. For his service in France he received the Victory Medal with four battle clasps: OISE-AISNE, YPRES-LYS, MEUSE-ARGONNE and DEFENSIVE SECTOR (this medal was not with the group when it was purchased). He returned home on May 23, 1919 and was honorably discharged at Fort Dix, New Jersey on 24 May 1919. After the war Dickey returned to employment with the John Wanamaker Department Store in Philadelphia and lived in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania. He died in May 1971.

BIOGRAPHY OF JOHN WILBUR DICKEY, THE RECIPIENT

John Wilbur Dickey

Dickey was promoted to Sergeant on 1 January 1918 and embarked with his battery (now designated as Battery A, 108th Field Artillery, 28th Division) for France on June 5, 1918 and served with it in France until May 16, 1919. For his service in France he received the Victory Medal with four battle clasps: OISE-AISNE, YPRES-LYS, MEUSE-ARGONNE and DEFENSIVE SECTOR (this medal was not with the group when it was purchased). He returned home on May 23, 1919 and was honorably discharged at Fort Dix, New Jersey on 24 May 1919. After the war Dickey returned to employment with the John Wanamaker Department Store in Philadelphia and lived in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania. He died in May 1971.

Dickey was part of the 28th Division, 53d Field Artillery Brigade:

107th Field Artillery Regiment (75mm)

108th Field Artillery Regiment (155mm)

109th Field Artillery Regiment (75mm)

103d Trench Mortar Battery

Jim M.

Edited by johnnymac

It's always good to know some of the stories of soldiers. Great medals.

I'm not near the end of this collection. :blush:

Soon photos of my Service Medals 1917/18.

Good weekend to all.

Lambert

:beer:

Edited by lambert

Just arrived this morning, a pair I couldn't pass by. A Pennsylvania National Guard WWI Victory Medal, with a National Defense Medal, all for the grand total of !!! $11.50 the pair :love::D

png_2810.jpg

nation10.jpg

I know the National Defense Medal is not WWI, but just wanted to show what can be had if you shop around, and what can pop up when you least expect it.

Rayjin

Edited by Rayjin

• 2 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...

Hi Gents,

I've just come across this web site - http://www.baystatem...I/WWImedals.htm - which advertises quite a few State medals for WW1, in addition to some vics. You can even buy a length of that multi-striped ribbon!

As always, I was looking for something completely different.

Bill

Edited by Bilco

This is a series that I also like very much, this example this superb.

The few I am assembling this collection, which also has some medals hard to find.

Rob, how many Service Medals do you have?

Regards

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

This is the only US state award I have. It is actually part of a larger group to a US serviceman from the 1st Division.

Regards,

Rob

By the way- most NY medals are numbered. Does your have a number?

Hello Ulsterman,

Yes the NY State service medal is numbered. It is: No. 13879. It can be seen at the top of the reverse immediately below the suspension ring.

Regards,

Rob

Very cool! The OMSA database has a link to the NY records (compiled by an OMSA member). You can confirm the mans' identity there.

Nope- spoke too soon. OMSA is selling a hard copy of the New York numbers (greedy people) but Jeff Floyd has the list. He's a good guy and if you ask him he'll probably help you out.

Very cool! The OMSA database has a link to the NY records (compiled by an OMSA member). You can confirm the mans' identity there.

Nope- spoke too soon. OMSA is selling a hard copy of the New York numbers (greedy people) but Jeff Floyd has the list. He's a good guy and if you ask him he'll probably help you out.

Hi Ulsterman

The numbering of the coin identifies each soldier who won? This seems very difficult to control.

lambert

Hello Ulsterman,

Thanks for the re-direction. I am aware that, apart from those that are directly attributed to an individual, there are also numbered NY State service medals that were not actually issued. Time will tell to see who this specific medal was awarded to.

Regards,

Rob

Unfortunately, "13879" is not recorded in the issue records, which has many large gaps. The medal numbers near it were issued around 1921.

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the information. It appears, at least anecdotally, that the medal was most likely issued to the recipient around the same time as his victory medal.

Regards,

Rob

Rob, how many Service Medals do you have?

Regards

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

I have had a closer look at my collection and have discovered a couple of other awards. I shall post them a bit later. One appears to be a re-strike of the New York State Service medal.

Regards,

Rob

Here is another New York State World War 1 Service Medal.

It differs from that posted earlier (post # 31). The wear to the ribbon notwithstanding, it is suspended by a different brooch noticeable on the reverse.

In addition there are numerous die differences, on both the obverse and reverse. There is also no serial number on the reverse. Especially noticeable is the different font style with the country names in raised letters compared to incised lettering on the earlier example.

The wire suspender is considerably thinner than the earlier example and the medal has a much lighter bronze finish.

It is possible that this example is a later re-strike or re-issue of the earlier release. It would be interesting to hear from our US collectors on this.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW