News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Other Victory Medals / Related Items

As we start out as a catch-all for items like Commemoratives, Anniversary, Fantasy items or whatever else.

Tim :cheers:

Hello all,

Here are a couple of Panama Medals of Solidarity. While Panama played no active part in the Great War they did award this medal in solidarity to the allies and it is associated with the Great War and the Interallied vic series in general.

According to Alex Purves' book 'The Medals, Decorations & Orders of the Great War 1914-1918' this medal was produced in limited quantities, in three classes. Numbers awarded were reportedly 100 to each of the allied countries. Medals were awarded in gold (silver-gilt) to commanders in chief, silver with a rosette to generals and senior officers and bronze to officers and other ranks.

This silver version, while not mine, shows the rosette clearly.

Bronze example to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by IrishGunner

• 1 year later...
    • 1 month later...

I would start this topic with commemorative medals.

I believe this is the first time you can see this medal.

Commemorative Medal WWI Armistice

This medal is in the Catalogue of the Medals of the Republic - Kurt Prober - 7C - Pag: 64, struck at the mint in Rio de Janeiro in 1918.

70mm , Copper Medal.

Medal design and engraved with Augustus G. Girardet.

Medalha1Guerra2.jpg

Obverse: in French "On Ne Pas Nasse"

August 4, 1914 * November 11, 1918

Medalha1Guerra1.jpg

Verse: Flags of the 13 victorious nations

Photo: Milton Basile

Edited by lambert

Hi Lambert,

That's pretty cool, first time I've seen that particular one issued by the Rio Mint. :cheers:

If you look in the Coins and Commemoratives sub forum, you'll see other WW1 related pieces as well. I'll have to get my CD out later today and see which ones I can add here. I also have some file PIC's saved of items relating to the Victory theme that I can post for examples (items I occasionally keep my eyes open for).

Interesting that the common, French Verdun motto, "ON NE PAS" (they shall not pass) is added here.

For now, here's my PAX VICTORIS by the Birmington Mint. You can see similar themes here.

Thanks for showing. :beer:

Tim

Hi Tim

Medallion excellent, very cool!

I unfortunately do not have that .. yet. :unsure:

I have other coins and medals to show soon.

Personally, I like everything about the First World War.

lambert

Hi Lambert,

Yes, I like many of these commemorative "table medals" as well, the key is getting good quality examples without overpaying for them. Takes a lot of patience!!

Ran out of time this weekend but will try to post some more later today.

Tim

• 2 months later...

I got this item on a lot WWI, I have no information about this Tokken. there is no information about this in my files and official sources ..

Have you seen something?

This is in bronze.

DSCF7810.jpg

DSCF7811.jpg

1914 - 1918 ? (is not 1917 - 1918)

DSCF7812.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi All

A peace medal issued by the city of Johannesburg to commemorate the end of the Great War. The medal is bronze.

One of the numerous medals welcome there, in my opnion is an interesting collection can be acquired with time.

vicAS20002.jpgvicAS20001.jpg

Lambert

Hi Lambert

I have been collecting the various UK Peace Celebration medals of 1919 for a time now, there were over 200 towns an boroughs that issued them in Britain in a variety of metals; bronze, brass, copper, aluminium, pewter and white metal, with some being in silver. There are also other commonwealth versions like the one you show for Calcutta, Vancouver and Australia, just to name a few. I've not started on the commonwealth medals, or the table medal versions that exist as yet, but given time.

As you say, it does make an interesting collection.

Steve

Edited by Rayjin

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I took the liberty of copying the information shown by Dieter3 in another topic, to show the Japanese commemorative medal of the Great War.

Dieter3 Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:01

.Appears to be a commemorative medallion, would love some more info if anybody has any. Dated June 28th, 1919 (Taisho 8) - the date of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles.

Tarnishy and stainy, and the strike seems relatively shallow, but still pretty neat. I'm mostly medals, but I think I might hang on to this one!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this reads from right to left (top half) - "SEKAI SENEKI KOUWA KUNKI CHOUIN KINEN" - World War (One) Peace Treaty Commemoration". I suspect some of that might be off in the kanji reading.

Bottom from right to left - "TAISHOU HACHINEN ROKUGATSU NIJYUUHACHI NICHI" - Taisho 8th Year (1919) 6th Month, 28th Day

Bottom left corner - "I. Sato" -

3-1.jpg

4-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

2-2.jpg

Edited by IrishGunner

fukuoka Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:46

It is the same as the large table medals for WW1 Victory. These small ones were the more affordable alternative.

Made by Japan Mint; sold at Shoubido. The cases often had the name of the seller not the maker. You will also see Mitsukoshi Department Store on many cases for the other Mint medals.

See the bigger ones here: http://imperialjapan...intmedals3.html

Cheers,

Rich

• 6 months later...

Hi Lambert

I have been collecting the various UK Peace Celebration medals of 1919 for a time now, there were over 200 towns an boroughs that issued them in Britain in a variety of metals; bronze, brass, copper, aluminium, pewter and white metal, with some being in silver. There are also other commonwealth versions like the one you show for Calcutta, Vancouver and Australia, just to name a few. I've not started on the commonwealth medals, or the table medal versions that exist as yet, but given time.

As you say, it does make an interesting collection.

Steve

Steve, you've been holding out on us! Lots of great photos of the UK Peace Celebration medals in your gallery.

http://gmic.co.uk/in...h-peace-medals/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

More interesting one medal on this series ..

Medal - Children's Peace, Great War, Department of Defence, Australia

Awarded to: School Children of the Commonwealth of Australia

Other Details: Of the commemorative medals issued to mark the end of the First World War, the most common was the so-called 'Peace' or 'Victory' medal issued to every child in Australia aged 0-14 years (and aged up to 16 if parents were in the armed forces). The medal was designed by Charles Douglas Richardson, better known for his work as a sculptor. Time constraints as well as pressure from the production of other victory medals meant that no single manufacturer could make the 1,670,000 medals. Six were therefore selected: Amor, Stokes, Schlank, Parkes, Angus & Coote (who later withdrew) and Platers. The medals were silvered bronze, with silver issues for special presentations. The Defence Department supplied a red, white and blue striped ribbon and pin. Distribution began in March 1919. Victorian school children received their medals on Friday 18 July and on 'Peace Day' on Saturday 19 July.

Lambert

Hello Everyone

MEDAL 75th ANNIVERSARY - WORLD WAR ONE

Over a commemorative medal of the Great War. this time the 75th anniversary of the end of the war. In 1993 the U.S. Government decided to honor their verteranos the Great War still alive, nearly 30,000 with more than 95 years. This is a exemplas containing the box with the certificate that unfortunately have not.

Regards

Lambert

Lambert, interestingly, the WWI 75th Anniversary Medal was presented by the Department of Veterans' Affairs (US government cabinet-level ministry responsible for veterans' affairs) instead of the Defense Department. I believe the only such medal by the VA Department. And was only given to living WWI vets in 1993. The plan was to have the medals distributed by Veterans Day - or Armistice Day - 11 Nov, which was the 75th Anniversary of the armistice.

It was commissioned and designed by the Robert R. McCormick Tribune Foundation with the assistance of the U.S. Army Institute of Heraldry.

• 2 months later...
    • 6 months later...

Got this at an antique fair in Belgrade--the Serbian commemorative medal. I pretty much limit my collecting to the Victory medals (and I am very much a beginner at that), but I figure I might as well get the equivalents from countries that didn't issue an official Vic, when the opportunity presents itself.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-16545-0-31888000-1387568764.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-16545-0-58198300-1387568733.jpg

Hello David,

Got this at an antique fair in Belgrade--the Serbian commemorative medal. I pretty much limit my collecting to the Victory medals (and I am very much a beginner at that), but I figure I might as well get the equivalents from countries that didn't issue an official Vic, when the opportunity presents itself.

A nice example. It is a medal that appears frequently in French groups due to service in the Salonika theatre of war.

There is a specific thread on the different varieties of the Serbian commemorative medal for the Great War on another section of GMIC.

It is located at: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/23820-serbia-different-types-of-commemorative-wwi/

This thread also has some different award documents as well.

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW

• 1 month later...

I recently snagged this 1919 Peace Medal from the City of Glasgow. It was among a "job lot" of British WWI ribbons (including a couple Victory Medal ribbons I needed!) A nice grab for less than $20 total! Sometimes it's the little things that turn out nicely.

Size is 36cm long x 25cm wide

• 3 months later...

Interesting thread on a Chinese WWI commemorative medal in the China forum. According to one of our experts, Lambert, a very rare piece.

Have a look: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/62667-chinese-1914-1918-medal/#entry590053

Hi,

It's easier to go to to the source on my website... http://www.medailles1914-1918.fr/chineaccueilmeda.html

Find a ribbon for this medal is almost impossible...

Cheers

Edited by Marne14