News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Other Victory Medals / Related Items

• 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...
    On 23.01.2017 at 15:41, lambert said:

Hello welcome !

I do not know much, but it is a medal on the small participation of Argentina in World War I, probably help with the Argentine Red Cross.

lambert

Thank you. I thought that this medal a veteran union Argentine volunteers who fought in Europe.

Argentina remained Neutral during the First World War, I have no information about Argentine volunteers, except the volunteers of European decendence (Germans, French, English, etc.) who received the call of the mother country.

I researched a little more, The medal has no connection with the of World War I.

http://www.bibliomedicinadigital.fmed.uba.ar/medicina/cgi-bin/library.cgi?a=d&c=medallas&d=Medalla_0734

here

582155_JOMSA_Vol57_1_25.pdf

Lambert

4 hours ago, lambert said:

Argentina remained Neutral during the First World War, I have no information about Argentine volunteers, except the volunteers of European decendence (Germans, French, English, etc.) who received the call of the mother country.

I researched a little more, The medal has no connection with the of World War I.

http://www.bibliomedicinadigital.fmed.uba.ar/medicina/cgi-bin/library.cgi?a=d&c=medallas&d=Medalla_0734

here

582155_JOMSA_Vol57_1_25.pdf

Lambert

Thank you very much.

16 hours ago, Ura87 said:

I think this medal is not considered. "Medalla de los Voluntarios Catalanes 1914-1918" https://historiayculturamilitar.wordpress.com/tag/unio-catalanista/

miles-gener-08-347.jpg

miles-gener-08-349.jpg

diploma-voluntaris-catalans.jpg

Spain remained neutral during the war but many Catalan volunteers enlisted in the French Army, Belgian and Foreign Legion .

http://www.medailles1914-1918.fr/espagne-accueil.html

It is related to the Great War. The medal is very scarce, but there are many recent copies. So be careful.

Lambert

• 11 months later...

treaty of versailles table medal 54.8 mm dia, 3.5 thick , japanese origin, designer  sato/lidi silver and bronze. obverse  flags of allied powers within a wreath. reverse peace, personified by woman holding an olive branch, background view of palace of versailles.

Scan_20180117 (9).jpg

Scan_20180117 (10).jpg

• 4 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 4 years later...
    On 20/06/2010 at 08:40, RobW said:

Hello all,

Here are a couple of Panama Medals of Solidarity. While Panama played no active part in the Great War they did award this medal in solidarity to the allies and it is associated with the Great War and the Interallied vic series in general.

According to Alex Purves' book 'The Medals, Decorations & Orders of the Great War 1914-1918' this medal was produced in limited quantities, in three classes. Numbers awarded were reportedly 100 to each of the allied countries. Medals were awarded in gold (silver-gilt) to commanders in chief, silver with a rosette to generals and senior officers and bronze to officers and other ranks.

This silver version, while not mine, shows the rosette clearly.

Bronze example to follow.

Regards,

Rob

post-7101-127701600472.jpg

Hi Rob,

not sure if you know the answer to this or not, bit I have just bought one in bronze and was intrigued.

I have also read in several places that Panama issued 100 to each of the WWI allied countries, and in gold, silver and bronze varieties. What is not clear to me is whether 1/ 100 medals were issued in total to each country (as a mix of gold, silver, bronze of maybe variable proportions) or 2/ whether there were 100 of each metal (100 gold, 100 silver, 100 bronze) or 3/ were there 100 bronze and maybe fewer silver and then 1 or 2 gold per country. Clearly option 2 seems very unlikely - why have 100 gold per country, but any thoughts on this?

thanks

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
    On 20/06/2010 at 08:41, RobW said:

And here is a bronze example.

Regards,

Rob

post-7101-127701607773.jpg

Having just acquired one of these medals in bronze myself, it occurred to me that given their 'rarity', you do see them reasonably often either on Ebay or dealer sites. Does anyone know if there was ever a re-issue or authorised later copy made? Given the prices they fetch, and the relative ease of forgery, does anyone know if they have ever been outright faked in the market-place? I have done a little searching and so far I have not yet found a good source that compares a genuine medal (and ribbon I guess) to a later copy. Has anyone seen anything like that, or does anyone have enough knowledge to tell a genuine version?

thanks

Rob

Panama solidarity obverse.JPG

Panama solidarity reverse.JPG

• 2 months later...

Hello Rob,

There is not a whole lot of information about the specific numbers of these medals actually awarded in each class. As far as my records show the medal was awarded in three classes:

1. First class in silver.
    2. Second class in bronze with a rosette.
    3. Third class in bronze without a rosette.

The medal was awarded with a certificate although the examples of the certificates I have seen are not numbered. Thus we are no closer to identifying probable recipient award number ranges.

I have an article by Paulo Jorge Estrela from the Instituto Geográfico Português from 4/2007 that does have a large amount of detail on this particular award. When I can track that document down I will look to get it translated from Portuguese to English. Hopefully that will provide some more context.

To your second point about I have not seen any fakes yet entering the market although that doesn't mean there won't be in the future.

Regards,
    Rob

• 3 weeks later...
    On 19/12/2022 at 10:40, RobW said:

Hello Rob,

There is not a whole lot of information about the specific numbers of these medals actually awarded in each class. As far as my records show the medal was awarded in three classes:

1. First class in silver.
    2. Second class in bronze with a rosette.
    3. Third class in bronze without a rosette.

The medal was awarded with a certificate although the examples of the certificates I have seen are not numbered. Thus we are no closer to identifying probable recipient award number ranges.

I have an article by Paulo Jorge Estrela from the Instituto Geográfico Português from 4/2007 that does have a large amount of detail on this particular award. When I can track that document down I will look to get it translated from Portuguese to English. Hopefully that will provide some more context.

To your second point about I have not seen any fakes yet entering the market although that doesn't mean there won't be in the future.

Regards,
    Rob

Hi Rob,

if you can track down that particle from Paulo Estrela then please post it or send it to me (even untranslated) as it would be very interesting to see.

I have found the list (or a list) of British recipients from the Gazette and the three levels are Gold, Silver with rosette and Bronze. At least on this list there is 1x Gold, 6x Silver and 59x Bronze only. Haig is an obvious choice for gold, but the others seem a little random, or at least I don't see any sort of pattern among them. 

Rob

this is p1

Panama medal winners Gazette p1.JPG

this is p2 from the Gazette

Rob

Panama medal winners Gazette p2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Rob,

Send me a DM with an email address and I'll forward you the article when I find it. I am not near my collection or research notes at the moment but will be in March.

Regards,

Rob