News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Lambert - A real eye-opener to see so many vics that are faked! Even the Italian Sacchini - the designer and manufacturer names look as if they are impressed, quite unlike any that I've seen before. And yet he seems to have an excellent approval rating. Buyer beware!

Bill

Yes, there are also the ones that show period originals and then send you something else. You really need to know what you're looking at and get a feeling for the seller. Unfortunately, the feedback rating doesn't always tell the truth and after 12 months, even bad guys can have 100%+.

Just be careful and patient when building your collections.

Tim

Be wary of all items "rare" that seller. Do not buy anything!

Fortunately, the photos are clear that these items are fake. But he manages to fool many people. He is careful to leave the item "PRIVATE" when the MV.

Since when I started collecting, I've seen, selling a dozen of Siam and Cubam Vic! :angry:

Note that all Ribbon MV, the same for all medals Vic.

There is no limit to the dishonest.

Lambert

Here's one to be careful of: michelju

Always has Vic's (and other items) for sale and often shows items that appear orginal but...not always what you get sent. He is well known here by several members.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Michelju is well known for manufacturing fakes as well, like the Greek Bavarian Volunteers' medal and the Cross of Independence. Their quality is better than the originals. Of course, he never says that they are fakes and in every militaria show you can see that he has 1 or 2 for display. I was one of his victims, too, as I bought one of the first pieces that he sold and the collecting community was not aware of this fraud. Since then, many collectors have been deceived. The funny thing is that ebay does not care; even though I sent emails and protested about this issue, nothing was done.

Michelju is well known for manufacturing fakes as well, like the Greek Bavarian Volunteers' medal and the Cross of Independence. Their quality is better than the originals. Of course, he never says that they are fakes and in every militaria show you can see that he has 1 or 2 for display. I was one of his victims, too, as I bought one of the first pieces that he sold and the collecting community was not aware of this fraud. Since then, many collectors have been deceived. The funny thing is that ebay does not care; even though I sent emails and protested about this issue, nothing was done.

This is true not only with this seller, but many others do not care if they sell fake or not.

Lambert

• 1 month later...

I have noticed this bidder, bids on a lot of things. When he sets his mine to the fact that he wants it, he put a very high number so matter what you bid you will lost. He just won all four items and all four are sand casted items?

1. Cuban sand casting = $236.50 item # 260946754425

2. Greek sand casting = $224.50 item #250985650285

3. Italian sand casting = $52.02 item #250985646621

4. Siam sand casting $235.95 ( the sand cast was of the repro medal not the original one). item #250985637512

I post this to say to all members, if you need help in ID-ing something reach out to one of the many forum members for a second opinion by sending them a personal email.

Hi Jim,

Yes, they are sand casting, of poor quality. Unfortunately there's always people willing to throw money away, without the least care.

I tried contacting ebay, but got no answer ..

there is nothing to do.

Lambert

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they are sand casting, of poor quality.

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

The French firm of M. Delande (Paris) produced reproductions, including cast copies, of all the vic series. This was during the late 1920s and early 1930s timeframe.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.

He has an unofficial Italian type unmarked U $ 154.00

She seems to be ok. However, I do not dare buy it.

Thank You Lambert for your posting.

I would not, for myself purchase this medal as I believe it to be a very resent modern repro.

Jim

To Lambert & Jim,

Yes; this item is of more recent production. It was produced in Italy in the 1950s-1960s time frame.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 4 months later...

Hi Gents,

An interesting Cuban vic on eBay - and an interesting price. Item no 390428560487.

Bill

Hello Bill,

While not particularly wanting to describe the specific detail here, lest we inform and educate the fakers which might be lurking among us, a picture or two would illustrate the item. This would be a good aid for subsequent collectors.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Gents - it just so happens that I have just downloaded the pictures that accompany the Cuban item:

cubanfake01.jpg

cubanfake02.jpg

The details state that the obverse is marked CHOBILLON. There is a triangle mark on the edge, but I'm not sure what the mark well to the right of it is.

Asking price US$1,199.99.

Bill

Edited by Bilco

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

I found this on the web site of a dealer in Europe, described as "ITALY Kingdom INTERALLIED WW1 VICTORY MEDAL RARE NO MAKER type"

The picture of the obverse ....

fakeitalyT501-crop.jpg

...looks on the face of it like an Official Type 5, with no designer or maker's names in the exergue.

However, the picture of the reverse ...

fakeitalyT502-crop.jpg

... has the left-hand date as MCMXIV. As I understand from Laslo page 53, the Type 5 should have the date MCMXV.

Under magnification I can convince myself that there are some faint letters discernable in the exergue on the obverse.

I'll pass on this one.

Bill

Hi Gents - it just so happens that I have just downloaded the pictures that accompany the Cuban item:

cubanfake01.jpg

cubanfake02.jpg

The details state that the obverse is marked CHOBILLON. There is a triangle mark on the edge, but I'm not sure what the mark well to the right of it is.

Asking price US$1,199.99.

Bill

Hi Bill !!

The picture is not good, so there is no way of knowing for sure, but I think she's too polished.

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Lambert

Edited by lambert

Hello All ..

I have been a time away from the forum for professional reasons .. but I'm back.

I bought for two copies of recent knowledge of Vic Vic Brazil and Cuba a well known british seller.

The copy Brazilian is the easiest to identify, recalls the original medal, but contains many errors. It is a copy that you need not worry about it.

The copy Cuban has a lot details that can confuse an inexperienced collector, but even then it is easy to identify.

BC.jpg