News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Concordo com você Jim

Jim

I agree with you.

The price she can reach the end of the auction, can be very good for the seller. is a piece of fantasy, interesting but of lower value.

no wonder if they achieve a high price unfortunately ..

atenciosamente

Lambert

• 4 weeks later...

This seller of #2 and #3 is gshank0121 the same as mcstls (aka Mike Shank from Virginia)

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Some more mtlcls fakes on ebay:

Greek Victory Medal.

This is a very nice medal with very good detail. I have no idea how old it is. It has a nice mark on it at about 7:00 and looks good.

This is a very nice medal with very good detail. It is marked on the front. I have no idea of its age. It is hard to find one of these in this good of shape.

US WWI Victory Medal, France Bar and Maltese Cross.

This is a very nice Victory Medal. It has a French style top bar, France Bar and a Maltese Cross on it. It has Fraser on the bottom face of the medal at about the 5:00 position.

Victory Medal

This is a very nice medal with very good detail. It has a mark on the back. I got it at a show and I do not know the age of it.

This is a very nice one with very good markings. It has the writing on the front at the bottom and the mark on the back. It is hard to find one of these with all the markings. I do not know the age of it.

mike_shank_fakes_20130415_01.JPGmike_shank_fakes_20130415_03.JPGmike_shank_fakes_20130415_04.JPGmike_shank_fakes_20130415_05.JPGmike_shank_fakes_20130415_07.JPGmike_shank_fakes_20130415_10.JPGmike_shank_fakes_20130415_12.JPG

Some fake bars

Unofficial Army Battle Clasp

Very nice set of 17 Unofficial Bars. They are the harder ones to find. All but one has FRANCE stamped on the back. The one that does not is Offensive Sector. You get what is pictured. They are very nice for any collection.

Here is a very nice, mounted, ready to put in a shadow box set. You will get what is pictured. Complete matched set, 14 US Army Battle Clasp Set. Bronze clasps with the names of the thirteen campaigns and one titled "Defensive Sector", Collar Disk and Star.

etc

mike_shank_fakes_20130415_14.JPGmike_shank_fakes_20130415_15.JPGmike_shank_fakes_20130415_16.JPGmike_shank_fakes_20130415_17.JPGmike_shank_fakes_20130415_18.JPGmike_shank_fakes_20130415_19.JPG

Edited by ThaiDave

• 2 months later...

Hi Lambert,

A nice example - I hope you didn't pay too much for it! I see our old friend mcstls has three on eBay at the moment - one of each type - at a starting price of $78.

There seem to be at least 3 suspension types and 3 reverses, so potentially 9 variants ...

Bill

Good morning, Bill and Lambert,

I have found there are more than three there are four suspensions, three reverses, with just one obverse, all with the same inspector mark and manufacturer stamp, Humm.........

Regards, Jim

Hi Lambert,

A nice example - I hope you didn't pay too much for it! I see our old friend mcstls has three on eBay at the moment - one of each type - at a starting price of $78.

There seem to be at least 3 suspension types and 3 reverses, so potentially 9 variants ...

Bill

Hi Bill

not even.

;)

lambert

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I do not understand why? there is a fake Italian for $40-60 when you can purchase an original for the same price!

Hello Jim,

Probably because not all collectors do due diligence before obtaining an item. This can be due to being new to the collecting area or not necessarily having access to a good source of credible information. Both volumes by the late Mr Laslo are good starting points but not all collectors either have a copy or access to them.

A quick search of online resources, of which this forum is but one, would be able to give a prospective purchaser both the information, context, and pictures, to make an informed decision. This doesn't always happen.

Unfortunately as long as there is a source of new customers such fakes will always be sold.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Rob,

I was talking about those who have these medals made, I would think the total overhead cost with be so sizeable that it might not be worth it in the long run in cost, effect, and time. Nevertheless, these medals seem to keep showing up!

Regards, as well Jim,

Rob,

I was talking about those who have these medals made, I would think the total overhead cost with be so sizeable that it might not be worth it in the long run in cost, effect, and time. Nevertheless, these medals seem to keep showing up!

Regards, as well Jim,

Hello Jim,

I suppose as long as they have spent the money on the initial outlay of dies etc... they would have to attempt to reoup the money in the end. As you have indicated these medals do indeed keep appearing on the online auction sites. I would also suggest they are probably being sold at the militaria shows in the US as well.

Regards,

Rob

Rob,

I am not as optimistic that these medals are selling as aggressively as you are. Fakes are common as you mentioned on the online auctions and are maybe the main source to reach the buying public. However I follow many repro medals and notice many are passed over to only be relisted by the seller.

Best wishes, Jim

Hi Gents,

A seller in the UK is offering 'die-stamped copies' of various vics:

Brazil - item # 111130907437

Cuba - item # 111134543740

South Africa - item # /121153624876

Romania - item # 111134542760

Portugal - item # /121153624876

French Pautot-Mattei - item # 111130907438

French Chobillom - item # 111134542930

Siam - item # 121151669390

Great Britain - item # 111134541121

Czech - item # 111134543527

Japan - item # 121153624690

Colour and detail should be a give-away should any unscrupulous seller-on buy them ...

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Hi Gents,

A seller in the UK is offering 'die-stamped copies' of various vics:

Colour and detail should be a give-away should any unscrupulous seller-on buy them ...

Bill

Hello Bill,

At least in both the title and details of each of these listings, the items are clearly marked as being a die stamped COPY. So these are clearly not being advertised or listed as the genuine item. I would agree that both the colour and finish are easy to spot as not contemporary or original, but in this case there appears no intent to deceive.

On the other hand there is another vendor, clearly listed on earlier posts in this topic (with pictures), that lists their items with an ambiguous title and detail.

The larger issue here is one of intent to deceive. Good quality die-stamped copies listed as such are one thing. Items listed with the intention to decive the collector into believing they are original is another matter entirely. Where there is sufficient money to be made in selling items of dubious provenance someone will always make such a commercial product. It pays to be wary.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I agree with everything you say - my thinking was that someone could buy them as copies, then age them and try to pass them off as genuine. The other thing that occurs to me is the cost of these copies - between £9 and £13 - which links to the conversation you have been having with Jim - how much does it cost to produce die-struck copies like these, and can they be sold at these prices and make a profit?

Bill

The Siam examples from this maker I have seen have very rough detail, compared to a genuine example.

However, it is a shame that they are not marked COPY. Even when a seller describes such medals as copies, invariably the next seller of such medals may not be so careful in their identification... Reasonable diligence would lead to them to be permanently marked.