News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victory Medal Ribbons in General

Hello Bill,

Interesting statistics on the ribbons.

Yes, the official greek vic would have come on French ribbon.

The Romanian official vic has also been seen on a French ribbon. The unofficial types 1, 2, 3, and 3a have been seen on a variety of local Romanian produced ribbons. The colours, tones and widths vary as a result.

Regards,

Rob

vicRomena1.jpg

Hello All

This Vic Romanian, French has the Ribbon, here reported.

You are in very good condition.

Lambert

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents,

I've been looking for some French ribbon to replace incorrect items on vics I've bought. I found a French seller on eBay who has good quality ribbon - the name is contoutos and there are two types:-

The first is described as 'superbe tissage ancien' - item 140638754813, and the other as 'tissage récent' - item 130600071521. They come in lengths of 14cm. I bought a length of the second type and it is watered on one side only, but very good quality. The seller has a big eBay store with lots of replacement ribbons.

I have no connection with the seller - other than being a satisfied customer!

Bill

Hi Gents,

Further to my last post, I now have an example of the first type - 'superbe tissage ancien' - and here is a comparison of the two types with a piece of original ribbon:

frenchribbons02-crop-1.jpg

On the left the 'superbe tissage ancien' and on the right the 'tissage récent' . The first type seems to be quite a good match for the original, but the second is more like some of the Czech-made ribbons - possibly a use for it there.

Bill

Hi Bill,

The problem with modern replacement ribbons, and justly, weaving too thick. I do not like this kind of texture. It is common to find copies of the Ribbon in vic rare. But I know that there Ribbons best quality, almost like the originals.

Lambert

Hi Gents,

Further to my last post, I now have an example of the first type - 'superbe tissage ancien' - and here is a comparison of the two types with a piece of original ribbon:

On the left the 'superbe tissage ancien' and on the right the 'tissage récent' . The first type seems to be quite a good match for the original...

Bill

Hello Bill,

The french produced 'superbe tissage ancien' is indeed of very good quality. It is the same quality as that produced in the late 1920's and early 1930's before the re-issue type medals were produced.

There are a range of modern produced reproduction ribbons but all of these don't seem to achieve the watered blending effect of the silk varieties produced in the 1920's and 1930's.

Regards,

Rob

• 7 months later...

Hi Gents,

Posted today in the Great Britain: Orders, Gallantry, Campaign Medals section by Chris Boonzaier is a link to eBay, where someone is selling 1 yard lengths of 'genuine silk victory medal ribbon' http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-YARD-36-INCHES-OF-ORIGINAL-MINT-CONDITION-WW1-SILK-VICTORY-MEDAL-RIBBON-/330871727272?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4d097de4a8

Not cheap, though.

Bill

Hi Gents,

Posted today in the Great Britain: Orders, Gallantry, Campaign Medals section by Chris Boonzaier is a link to eBay, where someone is selling 1 yard lengths of 'genuine silk victory medal ribbon' http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-YARD-36-INCHES-OF-ORIGINAL-MINT-CONDITION-WW1-SILK-VICTORY-MEDAL-RIBBON-/330871727272?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4d097de4a8

Not cheap, though.

Bill

Hello Bill,

As time marches on so does the availability of original era ribbon, including the very finely made 'silk' ribbons. It is becoming much more difficult to obtain such ribbon especially to remount Commonwealth groups.

More and more we see the much more current era ribbons produced and they are nowhere near the same quality as the earlier 1920s-1930s ribbons. Most of the newer ribbons are quite unblended and certainly do not look as good as the original. Of course this doesn't include the Czechoslovak produced ribbons which were of a coarser weave and unblended in the first instance.

When I am remounting groups, or even singles, I will always attempt to obtain earlier era ribbons despite the rising prices.

Regards,

Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents,

I found a web page comparing different modern versions of ribbons for various medals - mostly US - here http://www.frontiernet.net/~ericbush/US/differ/Differ.html

Down at the bottom it shows 6 different versions of the Victory ribbon, from 40mm to 37mm in width http://www.frontiernet.net/~ericbush/US/differ/WW1victory.jpg

I've just bought a short piece of modern ribbon from a French seller where the green shade looks more white, although it has nice watering.

Bill

Edited by Bilco

• 2 years later...

Hello All
    Gentlemen, I got some time this Belgian medal, aid the victims of the Great War 1914 18, interestingly she was issued with a ribbon similar to MV.

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="750px">">1.thumb.jpg.3314e85cef3fb120ed6bae5be7e2

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="750px">">2.thumb.jpg.004a005f119ba3fb18863ffd6797

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="750px">">3.thumb.jpg.a97eb1425606848a35415f41e20a

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="750px">">4.thumb.jpg.cabf5653c5d8cbbdd6106c30cf42

Lambert

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="750px">

• 1 year later...

Hello gentlemen,

I know I seldom contribute, but I thought I'd try to revive this thread for a mystery I could use help in solving.

I have a four ribbons sewn around a stiffener, first two being obvious - Belgian and French Croix de Guerre. BUT…if the red ribbon next to them were the Legion of Honour, it would not be in the right order of precedence.  Lastly, the Victory Medal ribbon does not look like French or Belgian ribbons, but then what? Czech?

Chris       

img005.jpg

img008a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Chris,

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the ribbon as there were a great variety of French produced vic ribbons.  I have seen other French vics with the specific ribbon you have shown on your example.  Nothing untoward about the bar either.  Another contender for the red ribbon is the Serbian Milosh Obilich medal.

Regards,

Rob

On 15/05/2016 at 10:24, Chrisnp said:

Hello gentlemen,

I know I seldom contribute, but I thought I'd try to revive this thread for a mystery I could use help in solving.

I have a four ribbons sewn around a stiffener, first two being obvious - Belgian and French Croix de Guerre. BUT…if the red ribbon next to them were the Legion of Honour, it would not be in the right order of precedence.  Lastly, the Victory Medal ribbon does not look like French or Belgian ribbons, but then what? Czech?

Chris

• 1 year later...
    On 23/03/2013 at 10:03, Bilco said:

Hi Gents,

I found a web page comparing different modern versions of ribbons for various medals - mostly US - here http://www.frontiernet.net/~ericbush/US/differ/Differ.html

Down at the bottom it shows 6 different versions of the Victory ribbon, from 40mm to 37mm in width http://www.frontiernet.net/~ericbush/US/differ/WW1victory.jpg

I've just bought a short piece of modern ribbon from a French seller where the green shade looks more white, although it has nice watering.

Bill

Hi Bill,  do you have any updates since this post on the original variations of the WW1 medal ribbon especially the Victory medal ribbon?

regards,

yasser

There was a thread on the British Medal Forum back in 2015 about modern ribbon for the British vic, which shows some comparisons between modern and original ribbon, and points up the different quality of modern offerings  http://www.britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=286&t=105615

You might have to sign up to the BMF, but it costs nothing and they don't pester you!

Bill

2 hours ago, Bilco said:

There was a thread on the British Medal Forum back in 2015 about modern ribbon for the British vic, which shows some comparisons between modern and original ribbon, and points up the different quality of modern offerings  http://www.britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=286&t=105615

You might have to sign up to the BMF, but it costs nothing and they don't pester you!

Bill

Thanks Bill.    Original stuff is just amazing.   It does pop up now and then and somewhat in OK quantities.    Roy W was selling some again on BMF few weeks ago but I missed out on that opportunity.

It would be nice to continue your work on comparison of ribbons on your site.   I think it is very helpful to collectors sourcing original ribbons.

Regards,

Yasser.

Edited by Yasser

• 4 weeks later...
    18 hours ago, Bilco said:

An interesting article on the unofficial Victory Medal ribbon on this Australian site

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog/unofficial-victory-medal-ribbon-1919

Has anyone seen the article referred to at the end?

Bill

Hello Bill,

I have a copy of the article in quesiton from the September 1998 Medal News issue. It recounts the same background information about the Interallied Victory Medal conference that is contained in the introdcution to Mr Alex Laslo's book, as it specifically relates to the discussion about how the design of the vic ribbon was chosen.

Regards,
    Rob