News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victory Medals Forum Recommendations / Open Discussions

This is "pinned" thread so it doesn't get lost or bumped down to another page.

As we start out, we can use this thread for general type topics. If you have a recommendation or idea, want to see something specific, or don't like something, post it here.

Keep in mind, this is relating to this specific forum on the Inter-Allied Victory Medals of the Great War only . :whistle:

Bottom line, let make this new forum work for all of us.

Tim :cheers:

Edited by Tim B

• Replies 87
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To one and all,

My current work committments prevent me from more active participation at this stage.

Kudos to Tim B for convincing the Chairman to establish a home base for the vic series. I look forward to much more fruitful and semi-organised discussion of this fascinating medal series.:D

When I am able to drop in and contribute I shall do so.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks guys!

Keep in mind, the intent is to consolidate as much information on these Inter-Allied Victory Medals in one location as possible while separating the topics a bit to make it easier to find specifics, or expand more in depth on the details while keeping those specific topics of discussion on target.

There will always be other threads in the various forums on GMIC, simply no way to get around it. There are groupings, medal/ribbon bars, old existing threads, etc. I'm sure others will continue to post some items in respective country forums to get specific information as well. All we can do is try to direct those collectors here, and if the information is double-posted, it really doesn't matter as long as the member gets the information he/she is after.

Thanks again for everyone's paitence as we make the changeover. :beer:

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Hi Tim - A couple of things spring to mind, now I've seen this thread.

First - I found that the best way to search the whole GMIC site was through Google site search. In doing this I've found posts about the WW1 vics in the postings for specific countries, sometimes with information that isn't on the WW1 Vics thread. Is there any mileage in listing these postings with links here?

Secondly - are the postings under the titles 'British Victory' and 'British Victory Medal' linked? The posting on the latter seems to be refering to the former, so perhaps they should all be under one title?

Thanks again for your efforts in getting this set up.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I think we still have some minor bugs to work out and I know Nick is rather busy at the moment. I have pointed a couple of items out, such as these threads you mentioned, it's just a matter of making it happen. Unfortunately, these changes have to be made at the admin level.

Baby steps, but we're getting there! :cheers:

Until then, read whatever but, try to post in the threads that have the sub-headers "post your XXX medals here". That way the new threads will be taking off and we won't have much to move down the road. At last count, I think I see seven threads total that are outside the new threads and need to be moved. Then again, we may just leave them depending how hard it is to incorporate these.

Tim

Well, thanks to Nick, the new forum icon is in place and looks nice IMO. Should help members find us a bit easier!

I mentioned to Nick, that if the seven threads currently lying outside the main sections don't move, they will eventually cycle down and onto the next page/s providing no new posts are added to those threads. So, either way, I don't think this will be a issue.

Tim :beer:

Very good to see the setting up of this forum. The I-A Victory Medal is indeed a whole are of collection to itself that can be compared to other award specific fora such as the EK forum.

Well done on the good work.

Jim :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

A reminder to all, please post your thread topics in the appropriate areas that are set up already. This helps consolidate all similar topics into one common area and benefits members searching specifically for a certain item/topic.

I currently do not have the ability to move or merge threads or topics into another area within this specific "Inter-Allied Victory Medals of the Great War" forum. I can only move items outside to different forum sections or delete the thread/topic in it's entirety, so let's try to keep to those threads that have already been established. There are a few threads that were initially moved or started before we got up and running and those may eventually be moved back into their original places or deleted but some of that will take Nick's access to do.

So, for example, if you have a topic related question concerning Brazil victory medals, post it in the Brazilian Victory Medal thread.

Appreciate the patience and compliance! :cheers:

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys,

I did ask Nick today about the possibility of selling in this sub-forum and he stated he really wants to keep all sales within the Sales section of GMIC.

I can see why here, as they already have a section to catch items like the Vic. The rules for selling on the forum are posted in an area applicable to all members and as there are always potential problems when deals go bad, they can be monitored a bit better if all listed under one roof.

Sorry, but I do agree with the decision and reason behind it.

Tim

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Been away for a couple of weeks traveling and just getting back online and up to date here. Thought I would share some information that I think will greatly improve this section.

I know admin has been making several changes over the last couple of months and working hard to iron out any little bugs and I appreciate everyone's patience relating to the Victory Medal section as we progress from one long-running thread.

One of the changes/upgrades currently in progress is the use of "tags". I'll get more into this over the next week or so but, it could greatly improve the forum overall and especially help us here to separate specifics when searching topics. This will also allow us to keep this particular sub-forum pretty much as is but provide us with the equivalent of having several topic sub-folders where we can filter out items and only search for the particulars of a specific search. So, it should be improving shortly and might even make that long thread easier to navigate.

Almost there! :beer:

Tim

Edited by Tim B

• 1 month later...

Guys, I've come to a decision today and one that I make with much sadness and reservations towards.

I have decided to leave GMIC, both as a moderator as well as member. It's a personal decision, one that I should have made before I guess.

I just wanted to say many thanks to all of you that have contributed here to made this small section what it is today. It will continue and I have made recommendations to Nick for a successor and alternate to take over the Victory Medal section. Please, whomever takes over, give them your support and assistance.

I never did get a final answer on the issue of "topic tags" and will have to leave that for the next person, sorry.

Take care, good luck in your collecting interests and maybe you'll see me on other forums.

Best,

Tim

Tim - Sorry to hear that you're leaving the GMIC. Thank you for setting up this Interallied Victory Medal section as a separate part of the Forum, and for your kind and helpful replies to my postings. Your posts and photos will remain a useful resource for everyone.

Best wishes,

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Tim,

I can only echo what Bill has already said.

Many thanks for having the drive and enthusiasm for establishing the separate vic thread. I am hopeful that others will continue to contribute to this area.

Regards in wherever you may end up.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Tim, sorry to hear this news :( as you added a lot to an oft neglected section of medal interest and medal collecting.

Good Luck with your future, to you & yours, hopefully the door can be left open,

and you can drop back as a guest from time to time.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Wel, Heddwch ac Blwyddwyn Newydd Dda to you Lambert - and to everyone I've come to know through GMIC and our shared interest.

And a very impressive display of vics, Lambert!

Bill

Edited by Bilco

• 4 months later...

Hi Gents,

I see it's the first anniversary of my joining GMIC today. When I joined I had 7 vics - today I have 28!

Thank you for your company over this last year, and for all your friendly help and advice - it's very much appreciated.

Bill