News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victory Medals Forum Recommendations / Open Discussions

As you can see, I've merged the "New Moderator" thread with the existing "Open Discussion / Recommendations" thread and gave it a new title.

This should be the place to discuss ways to improve the Vic forum. Be assured, I'm only the "hired labor" - this forum has been built - both literally and expertly - by the regular contributors. I intend to keep the original spirit and intent of "Tim B," who I also counted as a GMIC friend, when he started this great forum. So, I need your suggestions as you think of them... And I'll do the work. By this method, I hope to learn a lot more about Victory Medals!

This is also the place for any general Vic discussions that don't fit into any one country thread. Gradually, as I clean out the 37 page "Overview thread," I will unlock it and it will become the place for general Vic discussions.

Then, any discussion here should be on forum management, greetings/salutations, or off topic discussions among the Vic community.

Make sense?

Edited by IrishGunner

• Replies 87
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rick,

You have been busy! It's all looking good - I must look out a few more web site links. I guess if we want to link to dicussions in other areas of GMIC they go in the appropriate country thread here.

Bill

Edited by Bilco

An important question for the regular contributors:

I've moved almost 2 pages of topics from the original locked thread into the specific country threads. Most of this has been original photos posted in 2009 when the forum opened. I've noticed that many of you had already "reposted" a lot of this content into the new specific country threads when Jim created those - to "keep the discussion going" as was noted at that time. Now, there is some mild duplication (but clearly noticeable) within the first few posts of the specific country threads of photos both first posted in the original thread and some of the same photos "reposted" later directly into the country thread. (I hope that's comprehensible.)

So, the question is this...before I move more posts out of the locked thread; Is continuity of the country specific information - that means all info posted since 2009 in the forum regarding one country's Vic's in one single country thread worth a little duplication of photos?

For the most part, the posts are identifiable as duplicates and as I go through the country threads later, I will be able to remove gross confusion. But I think if I continue moving info from the locked thread (as has been suggested by members), some unavoidable duplication will occur.

I think I should continue to move the info out of the locked thread; continuity and consolidation of info is worth some minor duplication of photos in the early posts of the country specific thread. But it's your call gentlemen... What say you?

An important question for the regular contributors:

I've moved almost 2 pages of topics from the original locked thread into the specific country threads. Most of this has been original photos posted in 2009 when the forum opened. I've noticed that many of you had already "reposted" a lot of this content into the new specific country threads when Jim created those - to "keep the discussion going" as was noted at that time. Now, there is some mild duplication (but clearly noticeable) within the first few posts of the specific country threads of photos both first posted in the original thread and some of the same photos "reposted" later directly into the country thread. (I hope that's comprehensible.)

So, the question is this...before I move more posts out of the locked thread; Is continuity of the country specific information - that means all info posted since 2009 in the forum regarding one country's Vic's in one single country thread worth a little duplication of photos?

For the most part, the posts are identifiable as duplicates and as I go through the country threads later, I will be able to remove gross confusion. But I think if I continue moving info from the locked thread (as has been suggested by members), some unavoidable duplication will occur.

I think I should continue to move the info out of the locked thread; continuity and consolidation of info is worth some minor duplication of photos in the early posts of the country specific thread. But it's your call gentlemen... What say you?

Hello IrishGunner,

I would recommend that all information goes into the country specific threads. Tim B and I discussed it the time that the vics received their own special interest area and it was on the list of things to do. Some of the gross duplication could, as you have suggested, be removed in due course.

Regards,

Rob

Over 10 pages of info (posts) already moved from the locked general discussion thread to the country specific threads!

If any of the regulars would like to take a look at the visual continuity of the country threads and see if it makes sense (or if I misplaced a post in the wrong country), that little assist would be appreciated.

Gentlemen, the moving of specific posts to their respective country threads from the locked General Discussion thread is now complete. If you do the math, I've moved 30+ pages of info and it's possible I've made some errors in placement. Again, as you look through the country threads, please keep an eye for continuity of information and any misplaced posts (e.g. Italian in the American thread - I've fixed this example I think). Either post a message here in the Forum Recommendations thread or send me a PM with anything you notice.

Next, I'll be going through the country-specific threads to do some light housekeeping on the moved posts and otherwise make the forum more readable.

I've also re-named and unlocked the General Discussion thread for use - well - for General Discussion related to overall topics related Victory Medals themselves.

Gentlemen, the moving of specific posts to their respective country threads from the locked General Discussion thread is now complete. If you do the math, I've moved 30+ pages of info and it's possible I've made some errors in placement. Again, as you look through the country threads, please keep an eye for continuity of information and any misplaced posts (e.g. Italian in the American thread - I've fixed this example I think). Either post a message here in the Forum Recommendations thread or send me a PM with anything you notice.

Next, I'll be going through the country-specific threads to do some light housekeeping on the moved posts and otherwise make the forum more readable.

I've also re-named and unlocked the General Discussion thread for use - well - for General Discussion related to overall topics related Victory Medals themselves.

Hello Rick,

Excellent work on the re-shuffle and reorganisation.

Having all the specific threads in their own country locations will make a measured improvement to the forum and general discussion. It will also all the other posters, lookers, and collectors to easily find specific information without having to wade through a 37 page single thread.

I am sure the general vic enthusiasts will be appreciative of your efforts.

Regards,

Rob

Hello Rick,

Excellent work on the re-shuffle and reorganisation.

Having all the specific threads in their own country locations will make a measured improvement to the forum and general discussion. It will also all the other posters, lookers, and collectors to easily find specific information without having to wade through a 37 page single thread.

I am sure the general vic enthusiasts will be appreciative of your efforts.

Regards,

Rob

It certainly will make it easier when I finally get around to posting and identifying the types of my own Vics. :P

Edited by IrishGunner

It certainly will make it easier when I finally get around to posting and identifying the types of my own Vics. :P

Rick,

Be careful because once you start identifying your varieties it is a slippery slope. One variety leads to the next and so on and before you know it....

Rob

Rick,

Be careful because once you start identifying your varieties it is a slippery slope. One variety leads to the next and so on and before you know it....

Rob

Actually, I can say that I'm immune to that disease. I have absolutely no desire to collect "types" in that regard. In most cases, I'm satisfied with one representative example. British medals are the exception, but in that case my desire is on particular units and/or Royal Artillery ranks. Type 1 versus Type 2 etc of any particular country - not my cup of tea.

That said, I'll be curious to determine which particular type I've acquired - but I can honestly say, there will be no search for the other types.

Edited by IrishGunner

Actually, I can say that I'm immune to that disease. I have absolutely no desire to collect "types" in that regard. In most cases, I'm satisfied with one representative example. British medals are the exception, but in that case my desire is on particular units and/or Royal Artillery ranks. Type 1 versus Type 2 etc of any particular country - not my cup of tea.

That said, I'll be curious to determine which particular type I've acquired - but I can honestly say, there will be no search for the other types.

You are indeed a lucky man then if that is the case - being a collector is sometimes just so pedantic

Martin

You are indeed a lucky man then if that is the case - being a collector is sometimes just so pedantic

Martin

Martin, I don't mean my comments in any pejorative or negative manner. I am very impressed with the depth and breadth of variety in a single medal that many collectors consider common. And obtaining a single example of each Vic is challenge enough for me. For me it may just be as much economic driven as anything else; my main collecting focus is indeed pedantic in other areas and most of my collecting budget goes in that direction! For example, my obsession with German Imperial artillery regiments! My wife is amazed at how much I spend - money and time - pouring over postcards looking for a particular (or unusual) artillery feldpost stempel! Doesn't leave much for other things. :P

Rick

No problem, your comments were not taken out of context. I try to keep my collecting palletes as broad as possible but specifics just seem to creep in. Thats why i have over 100 Hindenburg Crosses with different maker marks, These being the major difference other than getting the Combatant, non combatant and widows versions !!

One could say the collecting of Vics is a much more restricted field in comparrison.

Martin

Rick

No problem, your comments were not taken out of context. I try to keep my collecting palletes as broad as possible but specifics just seem to creep in. Thats why i have over 100 Hindenburg Crosses with different maker marks, These being the major difference other than getting the Combatant, non combatant and widows versions !!

One could say the collecting of Vics is a much more restricted field in comparrison.

Martin

Oh, now you've done it. The Hindenburg maker marks have tempted me in the past. :lol:

Rick

Martin

Hello Martin,

While the collection of vics may be a restricted field it is the variety, created by all the different country models, that creates most of the challenge. If one were to just stick to a representative example from each country that would still be 14 medals. Having said that, trying to find some of the rarer models like the Brazil and Siam vics is problematic if you are on a budget.

In a ironic way it is the unofficial period era strikes, as well as the 1920's-1930's reproductions that are a bit more difficult to find than the actual 'official' examples.

Regards,

Rob

Drum roll, please. Only one more country specific thread to review and edit if necessary. The United States of America at 21 pages!

Again, as you go back through the country threads yourselves, please, note any duplications or other edits that might make the threads more readable/useful.

Thanks Rick

I much prefer being able to find all info in the specific threads.

and RobW

every field of collection has it's pleasures and pitfalls. My vic collection so far is limited to the Italians and the Japanese official, so a long way to go there.

Drum roll, please. Only one more country specific thread to review and edit if necessary. The United States of America at 21 pages!

Again, as you go back through the country threads yourselves, please, note any duplications or other edits that might make the threads more readable/useful.

Okay. USA is edited. That's it...the entire forum has been re-ordered/moved/edited. Now let's keep it clean, boys!

Edited by IrishGunner

To one and all,

For those that may not be aware a very active French militaria forum has recently closed due to a number of 'events'. Some members here may have known it as the FIM and, while it was only in the French language, it was a real trove of information on all French medals.

http://www.forum-insignes-medailles.net

It is a shame to see such a forum succumb to disruptive factors.

Regards,
    Rob