News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victory Medals Forum Recommendations / Open Discussions

Hi Gents,

I see it's the first anniversary of my joining GMIC today. When I joined I had 7 vics - today I have 28!

Thank you for your company over this last year, and for all your friendly help and advice - it's very much appreciated.

Bill

Hello Bill,

I am sure everyone is more than happy to assist. It is, after all, a bit of a vic community. :D

Regards,

Rob

• Replies 87
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gents,

When I joined I had 7 vics - today I have 28!

Bill

Hello Bill,

With 28 vics it is good to see that you have well and truly entered down that slippery slope! It is a fun ride and you never know where you'll end up.

With 13 countries to choose from, and the extra varieties of the Commonwealth countries, there is always something to collect.

This is what makes it such fun!

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Rob,

Actually, I have almost all Vic, officers, but gradually entered the type unofficial.

Soon, I try to add the Commonwealth medals of Canada, India, Australia and New Zealand .. etc. .. very exciting!

Regards

lambert

Hi Gents,

Thank you for your responses to my anniversary announcement! Yes, I'm slipping down a rapidly increasing slope - although I don't think I'll be able to acquire another 21 over the next 12 months. I should have made it clear that the 28 doesn't include duplicate types and, like you Lambert, I don't have the Brazil, Cuba, and Siam versions. There seem to be so many variations on each of the other countries to keep me busy, and those French medalliers have done their best to keep the number up. Then if I get bored I can start in on the US clasps ....

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

To one and all,

It is interesting to note that the original Vic thread, started on 13 April 2007, has now had over 40,000 views. It is heartening to see that this particular thread is so highly viewed and is a good resource for all vic collectors.

While I haven't necessarily checked all the other forums, threads and sub-threads at GMIC I would suggest that our little niche has probably the highest view count here.

Let's keep things going. :D

Regards,

Rob

• 5 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

For those who may have not noticed, I've "signed on" as the Moderator for the Inter-Allied Victory Medals of the Great War forum. A few weeks ago, Nick invited me to become a moderator and asked if I had any preference. My collecting interest lies squarely in WWI, although my knowledge in this area is no where close to that of the many experts that frequent this forum and GMIC in general. When this sub-forum was created I thought it was one of the best new features of GMIC to come along since I have been a member in 2008 and since it was moderator-less, I asked for this spot.

I like the way it's already organized and envision no changes. I expect only a need to keep up with light housekeeping.

Nonetheless, I would like to solicit your views/ideas on making this forum more user friendly and useful to those that do not normally frequent the discussions here. Feel free to post here in this thread (I can delete it later to keep the forum cleand and topic focused) or send me a private message if you prefer.

You can read more about me in my profile... Hopefully, I'll have an Epson scanner soon and I can start adding my Victory Medals - mostly British, but a few US and the usual Belgian, Italian, and French suspects. I hope I discover no fakes! :P

Hi Rick,

I know that you have been Moderator of this section for a little while, so first off - sorry for not having acknowledged you earlier.

We are lucky to have this section in this form, thanks to the work of Tim B. When I first joined GMIC looking for information of the WW1 vics there was just one very long thread - now locked and pinned at 37 pages. There is lots of good information there, but it's hard work to pick through it - I've been through all 37 pages several times! Maybe there is a way to extract it into threads for individual counties, but I think it would be a full-time occupation.

I just noticed today that, at the bottom of this section, there is a link to a thread about the Belgian vics in the Belgium section. If that is your work, thank you - I hadn't seen it before. I see that there is a similar thread in the United States section - http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/25519-ww1-victory-medal/page-1 -so maybe a link to that would be good, and maybe there are other threads in other countries' sections - France for example.

Talking of links - is there any mileage in having a thread with links to other web sites with information about the WW1 vics? There is a French site - http://www.medailles1914-1918.fr/lesallies-medail.html - with sections for all the Allies. I expect most people here have favourite web sites like this - if there was a dedicated thread we could post the links. It would not need any chat, just the name and link, and a note of whether it's vics in general or for one country.

Just a few random thoughts, but I hope there is something useful in there!

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Bill, thanks for the suggestions! Your ideas about making the longer threads more "searchable" are precisely in line with Nick's vision. I also am the moderator for the Great War forum; it has much less content, but that's good because it allows me to hone my skill in forum skill and organization. You are correct in stating that organizing can be a full-time job, but that's the ultimate goal.

I'll start the website thread - and pin it - so we can start populating it with links.

Hi Rick,

I noticed that you have started a new thread - WW1 South African Vic Medals Info - and I'm wondering if this might lead to confusion with the existing South African Victory Medal thread. It might result in future postings being split between the two unnecessarily. Maybe your post in the new thread could just as fruitfully go in the existing one instead?

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Hi Rick,

I noticed that you have started a new thread - WW1 South African Vic Medals Info - and I'm wondering if this might lead to confusion with the existing South African Victory Medal thread. It might result in future postings being split between the two unnecessarily. Maybe your post in the new thread could just as fruitfully go in the existing one instead?

Bill

I would agree. The reason specific country threads were established is so each was a 'one-stop' area for that country. This avoided the somewhat meandering that occurred in the single 37 page thread.

While country threads may change tack on occasion at least all the information specific to that vic is in the one spot.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rick,

Bill

Done

Hi Rick,

We are lucky to have this section in this form, thanks to the work of Tim B. When I first joined GMIC looking for information of the WW1 vics there was just one very long thread - now locked and pinned at 37 pages. There is lots of good information there, but it's hard work to pick through it - I've been through all 37 pages several times! Maybe there is a way to extract it into threads for individual counties, but I think it would be a full-time occupation.

Bill

I just did a successful "test" move of a single post from the 37 page general discussion (one one Romania). I haven't read through the discussion myself even for the first time - and need to do that - and as I do, I'll make an effort to move posts related to a specific country to that respective thread. Having read a couple pages already, the resulting remnant will be an excellent overview thread.

Hi Rick,

Talking of links - is there any mileage in having a thread with links to other web sites with information about the WW1 vics? There is a French site - http://www.medailles1914-1918.fr/lesallies-medail.html - with sections for all the Allies. I expect most people here have favourite web sites like this - if there was a dedicated thread we could post the links. It would not need any chat, just the name and link, and a note of whether it's vics in general or for one country.

Bill

Done